Touching things when travelling

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sfo1, Apr 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When travelling I try not to touch things, like escalator rails, anything on a public bus/metro etc. the button on an elevator, I use my knuckle rather than finger. I do wash my hands more often when I travel. Even on the airplane I generally take a wet towel and wipe the seat belt buckel, arm rest and audio buttons and if a seat back screen I usually wipe that down also. I am not a fanatic but i do like to keep as clean as possible, anyone have the same views on this?

jbcarioca and wrxmom like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In this day and age you can never be too careful...

I try not to be too much of a hypochondriac, but even in my office I've seen people not wash their hands after they go to the bathroom, so you have to wonder how they behave on public spaces.

Last thing I need is to get sick while I'm on the road.

Incidentally, if you ever see Contagion you will probably not touch anything for about a month. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/

jbcarioca, Flyer1976, wrxmom and 2 others like this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry, but in my book that is fanaticism.

You have nothing to fear from touching things. The very, very marginal exposure you avoid is not worth the trouble and is likely to harm as much as help you.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPOILER ALERT: Was difficult to get my girlfriend to try babi guling in Bali after seeing that :eek:

jbcarioca, cennas, desamo and 2 others like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Germs are everywhere....being too anti-germ can actually be a bad thing...as our immune systems are meant to resist them and exposure builds this resistance...

Wash your hands, use tissues, etc. Wiping down EVERYTHING seems a bit fanatical IMHO.

6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    The number of people I've seen picking their noses on planes grosses me out (not to mention whatever else they did prior) so I too, wipe down my seatbelt, armrest, tray table, and use a tissue to open/close the lav doors.:eek:

jbcarioca, sfo1, JohnDeere19 and 2 others like this.
  7. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might be too late for you ;) , but there are studies showing kids who play in dirt/mud are healthier overall than kids that grow up in 'too-clean' environments. http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=493934

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPOILER ALERT: sounds like someone watched war of the worlds recently ;)

jbcarioca, rwoman and viguera like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Contagion? Yes... WotW...no..was told to stay away... lol :)

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I find it's the same people who try to keep sparkling clean homes who also don't want to take their kids in for immunizations, which is the bigger threat. It amazes me that people still get whooping cough or TB in the US.

Several states are reporting whooping cough epidemics, so don't forget to get your booster shot.

jbcarioca, desamo, chaz4449 and 3 others like this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there's a huge difference though between people that want to "live in a bubble" so to speak and people that are just cautious about being exposed to germs -- at times unnecessarily.

Let's face it, we're all going to be exposed to something at some point, but it doesn't mean that you can't minimize the chances of you catching whatever the guy in front of you had. Hell, it's not like it's a good idea to let someone sneeze on your face just to build up your immunity, is it? :)

It's probably overkill to go around wiping every public surface that you see or that you might touch, but it's not a bad idea to walk around with some hand sanitizer or some wipes to clean your hands every now and then.

jbcarioca, Scottrick and rwoman like this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I watched Contagion while flying and let's just say... What were they thinking at United to put this movie on the playlist :p.

13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. MattK
    Original Member

MattK Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not the touching of surfaces that will make you sick, it's what you do with your hands afterwards that's the problem. Keeping your hands away from your face is the key. Avoid as much as possible rubbing your eyes or mouth. Wash your hands often, especially before eating. In other words, a little old-fashioned common sense and words of wisdom from Mom go a long way. :)

15. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    sfo1, are you, in real life, Detective Adrian Monk? :)

jbcarioca, sfo1, desamo and 2 others like this.
  16. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just out of interest, what do you think a fanatic would do? :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I don't know about the OP, but wearing gloves and a mask in public might be a start. :)

jbcarioca and sfo1 like this.
  18. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't fear anything, and it is no trouble to stay clean, if you could see the keboards of computers where I work, and only the same person uses their own, they are absolutely filthy. When I worked in the public transit industry, our buses were steamed cleaned on the inside an average of twice a year, yuk, People throw up on them, the seats, hold on to the dirty stanchions, people use washrooms and then don't wash, just curious where do you fit in these categories?

viguera and jbcarioca like this.
  19. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well not as fanatical, but I do beleive 100% when possible, and I will even give the guys on here a little more ammunition to use on me. I am single and have had friends say to me that they don't feel comfortable coming to my home as it is too clean, well I feel just the oposite when I go to theirs which is seldom:rolleyes:

jbcarioca and HiIslands like this.
  20. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Walk around in a pressurized suit.:D

21. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, according to your original post, in which you asked us for our opinion, you do, in fact, fear touching the elevator button as well as pretty much anything else that has been touched by another person - the seat belt, the monitor screen. If you weren't afraid of those things (and the people who had touched them before you), why sanitize them or avoid touching them?

If that's not fear, how would your behavior be different if you did fear those things?

I hold on to the dirty stanchions. I am not ill more than other people I know and have never been admitted to a hospital.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stop picking your nose, rubbing your eyes, and fiddling with your ears and you'll be fine.*

*Dr. Minnesota Bruin is not a "doctor doctor" so YMMV...

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    All kidding aside, there is wisdom to what you are saying.

As someone who travels to many third world countries for my work, I have found that scrupulous hand washing and being careful of what and where I eat are enough to keep me healthy.

Enjoy your travels and try not to worry.

24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not considered fanatical by anybody who has told me so anyway.
    I carry sanitisers and clean trays, seatrests and my hands. I wash my hands after every hand-shaking event or at least use a sanitiser, trying to be circumspect. I diligently clean my hands after using somebody else keyboard.

I have not had a cold for at least ten years. I have no allergies other than to caviar, and that was a result of overindulgence when I lived in Iran.

The filth in public places, especially doors, seats and aircraft interiors, is quite well documented. if that be fanaticism I stand convicted.

viguera likes this.
  25. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that washing hands now and then is a good idea. Even washing face is refreshing after a long journey. Other than that, I live and travel normally. However, if I were gripped by anxiety about germs, I would prefer to wear gloves instead of trying to open doors with my elbows. :)

LarryInNYC likes this.