Touchfire Keyboard for iPad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Scottrick, Dec 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure I'm getting an iPad for Christmas (just as my girlfriend is pretty sure she's getting a trip to Hawaii :cool:). The one thing that always bothered me about it, and perhaps kept me from buying one myself, is the pain of typing on the hard surface of the display. I also didn't want to lug around a separate keyboard and/or case with an integrated keyboard.

There's a new product on Kickstarter called the TouchFire that acts as a slim plastic cover for the keyboard portion of the display. You can press down on the rubber portion for the letter "a" and it will press the letter "a" below. But because the keys are raised and separated, touch typing is a lot easier and more comfortable. At least if they're claims are to be believed. But it seems like a good product, and I may buy one myself.

Currently you need to donate $45 to help get their business off the ground and in exchange you'll get a TouchFire including shipping. Other levels are available, and they've already raised far more than they asked for.

cordray2643 likes this.
  2. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like it would be annoying when using the iPad and not needing to type, like watching a video or reading.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's what the clips are for. Supposedly it can attach to and fold with the official iPad cover, and the clips that attach to the iPad are magnetic so it will orient itself. But yeah, having a floppy thing along for the ride isn't all that appealing.

cordray2643 likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a Treo guy before I became an iPhone guy. I thought a physical keyboard was the way to go and much more effective. An hour after I got the iPhone I was "converted".

While I wouldn't write a long novel on my iPad, I do write a lot of my posts on MP and other places on it. You can often tell by the weird corrections/misspellings that iOS throws into my sentences ;) I use (and take along) my MB Air when I expect to need to do a lot of typing, but for leisurely reading and answering emails or forum posts the iPad does not need a physical keyboard or a contraption to overlay the screen keyboard, IMO. I suggest you wait until you have used the iPad for a bit before you decide whether it works for you the way "god" made it.

cordray2643 likes this.
  5. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It took me a day. I am not the sharpest tool in the technology shed. (I was a crackberry addict before my iPhone)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Treo was probably not as addictive as it at least had a touchscreen. ;)

cordray2643 likes this.
  7. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you'll be surprised how quickly you will adapt to typing on the iPad. I thought it would be difficult, but it really isn't.

FrankieC and dmel like this.
  8. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea I second the ease of typing on the iPad glass vs having a physical keyboard. I can't type on the iPhone for anything, but the iPad was seamless from a regular keyboard. The lack of feedback can be "weird" but I think it's something we all have to get used to as real keys are quickly going away.....

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm just not sure how easy it is to type without looking at the screen if there are no keys to guide you back to them home row. It also seems like your fingers would get sore after a while. But I'll have to wait and see.

10. FrankieC

FrankieC Silver Member

Status Points:
    While this may sound sad, before buying my iPad I stopped into the apple store and spent 30 minutes typing some notes up for work. Once I realized I could actually type long documents with only a few more typos than usual I figured it would work out. May be worth doing something similiar?