Total Novice at frequent flyer miles. Getting started?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Wayneferguson, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi all, very new to this - would like to know how to max my travel points and benefitsa sap. Been hanging around silver status for a while now and want to reach gold soon any help appreciated.

misman, Cholula, AmericanGirl and 5 others like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Which airline do you usually fly? What is your typical type of trip- short haul or long haul? Are you a hub flier (live near a major hub) or based at an outstation? That sort of information will help people to give you some good suggestions.

Chimpy and Mikel like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As Gargoyle said, we need some additional information before we can be of too much help. However, there are a couple of very good web sites that provide some links and information to get additional miles / points. One of the best I have found is the Frugal Travel Guy. His web site is: www.frugaltravelguy.com . He has a noob daughter who posts every week on what she has done to accumulate miles and points. Another good site is www.freefrequentflyermiles.com . Both sites will give you lots of data on accumulating miles.

Also, just look around the MP and see what suggestions are there. If you concentrate on a couple of programs it will help you in the long run.

Hope this helps and welcome to MP.

Chimpy, AmericanGirl and Gargoyle like this.
  4. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could the OP be on Delta Skymiles program? What other frequent flyer programs use Silver status?

5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    To the OP. As others have said we would need more information. If your goal is to increase your status have you decided what the extra benefits are worth to you? In cost? In time? In extra annoyance with more stops?

Only you can make these decisions.

As for how, I would say padding extra legs into a fare you're already taking. Trying to take advantage of unique routings or minimum miles awarded for a segment. Using another nearby airport to force a routing your primary airport wouldn't offer, sometimes it even comes back to your primary airport.

Also depending upon your program you may be able to get some eqm for credit card spent per year.

Chimpy likes this.
  6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO and US both offer a silver status in the US, and a couple of European programs do as well I believe.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe AF Flying Blue and BMI use silver.

Chimpy and FlyMeToTheLooneyBin like this.
  8. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite a lot:
    on *A: CA, NZ, BD, CO, MS, SK, SQ, SA, JK, TP, TG, TK
    on OW: CX, AY, IB, MA, QF, S7
    (sorry got lazy to check ScaryTeam)

Gargoyle and FlyMeToTheLooneyBin like this.
  9. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I goofed. web site is www.freefrequentflyermiles.com

Have corrected my original post.

Sorry for the error.

N965VJ likes this.
  11. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Continental Airlines once had a bronze status level. I believe that was the only frequent flyer loyalty program that had a bronze level...
    One thing you need to do is keep a lookout on both milepoint.com and FlyerTalk to find deals in your favorite frequent flyer loyalty program to get the most miles for your dollar. It will be more difficult to do right now with the cost of a barrel of oil increasing, but it is not impossible by any means. For example, there are some international business class flights that cost as much or less than a standard economy class flight, but you must purchase before March 31. Business class flights usually offer a bonus amount of elite qualification miles necessary to help you achieve a higher status level.

A second method is to fly out of your way. Often, adding segments onto a flight will result in more elite qualification miles for no additional increase in cost or for a nominal increase...

...but you must be willing to take the extra time to do so. For example, I once flew from Atlanta to Phoenix through Washington, D.C. twice, Honolulu three times and Los Angeles once. I also traveled from Atlanta to San Diego round-trip via London each way for $275 round-trip.

These are only two methods of maximizing your quest to achieve the next level of status, but again we need more specific details in order to be of further assistance to you...

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    guess the OP went MIA?

Tenmoc and Chimpy like this.