Tot urinates in seat after JetBlue denies toilet access

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by sobore, Jun 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/feat...enied-access-to-toilet-20140614,0,341641.post

A mother is furious with JetBlue airlines after, she says, a flight attendant denied her 3-year-old daughter access to the plane toilet and the girl had to urinate in her seat, reports CBS Boston.

Jennifer Deveraux says the incident happened earlier this week when she was flying with her two daughters from New York to Boston. “It wasn’t about bad customer service at that point, it was about bad human decency. My daughter was sitting in a pool of urine and I couldn’t do anything about it. And as a mom it just broke my heart,” she said.

According to the report, Deveraux says their plane was delayed on the tarmac. After about a half-hour, her 3-year-old daughter Summers started crying and told her mom she needed to go to the bathroom. But Deveraux says the flight attendant refused.

Read More: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/feat...enied-access-to-toilet-20140614,0,341641.post

uggboy, Sammich and Newscience like this.
  2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    What keeps running through my mind. If you are boarding with a 3 year old, and the flight is longer than about 15 minutes, do you not take the kid to the bathroom in the airport before boarding. (or even on the plane during boarding??)

I understand that the plane was delayed on the tarmac, and that special rules apply when on the tarmac, (the plane has to be ready for departure at literally a moment's notice), but it still seems that the parent was not being prepared.

It also appears that JetBlue was also looking that this might have been a scenario for compensation, so they refunded her, but offered the Donation to Charity.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alas, children cannot always void their bladders upon request and it's not uncommon for a child to have to use the bathroom 15 or 30 minutes after not having been able to do so. I understand the same situation occurs in later life as well -- although I'm not quite there yet myself.

However, I remember using pull-ups with my kids on plane flights (and other situations with limited bathroom availability) for quite some time after they were otherwise able to use the bathroom on their own. I don't think it would have been inappropriate to do so in this case.

vickers likes this.
  5. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    We always try to make our four year old go before getting on a plane, but the reality is you can't always make them actually go. Also possible after 30 minute delay + additional time on board before the delay that she had to go again.

Pull-ups are a solution for the potty trained but still vulnerable age, but my kid would be mortified if we made her wear pull-ups now, so that only works to a certain point.

vickers likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is my understanding that in-flight at least flight attendants are required to instruct passengers to remain seat-belted in their seats when the seat-belt sign is on. But they aren't allowed (required?) to actually enforce it; the passenger can at their own risk ignore them and visit the lav (if they get injured due to turbulence, presumably they'll have a hard time asking for compensation).

What are the rules on the ground (tarmac)? Do the flight attendants have to notify the pilots so they abort any immanent take-off while the pax is not in their seat?

7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends upon if they are in the queue for takeoff or just on a tarmac stand waiting... if they are in the takeoff queue, then all passengers must be seated. I have been told that the plane would have to get out of the takeoff queue in the case of passengers not in their seats.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which presumably, depending on the airport taxi and runway configuration, may not be doable without introducing costly delays for both the plane in question and others behind it.

9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Our 3 year old son sometimes needs to pee 20 minutes after peeing. He wears pullups out of the house and while we travel, but as we encourage him to tell us when he needs to pee so we can get him to a potty he gets anxious when he as to wait to pee (we are 5 minutes from home or something like that). And if he does have an accident in his pullup, he gets upset.

Its very hard once a child is potty trained or partially potty trained to tell them its ok to go in the pullup this time. They dont quite get that...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014