torture racks in ANA 777-300er

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HubletUAFlyer, Aug 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not one to normally complain, do please bear with me.

United flight from.Seattle to tokyo yesterday afternoon was significantly delayed however the UA team in Seattle had already confirmed me a seat on the ANA fkight leaving several hours earlier than the rescheduled departure time.

I had a BF seat which was honored by ANA and boarded pretty much without incident.

Business cabin was less than 40% occupied

ForumRunner_20130827_170439.png

Immediately upon seating, the reality of the fkight ahead became apparent.

Had a torn a single sheet of paper from my notebook and laid it on the seat, instantly I would have doubled the padding the seat offered.

It was HARD....like REALLY HARD. figured out would be ok as I planned to flatten it out and sleep anyway.

Light meal served and decided it was time to sleep.

Well the, seat may go flat, but it remains at about a 20 degree incline which means pretty quickly, if you weigh more than a chipmunk, you'll slide down the seat and end up in a ball on the floor.

See pic below

ForumRunner_20130827_170939.png

But all hail the seat designer for he integrated a milled aluminum folding foot rest which when not extended, lays directly across the back of your calves, trying to slice your Achilles tendons.

To save that pain simply open up the foot rest and stretch out, with no fear of ending up on the flour like the aforementioned chipmunk.

Not so simple.

If you're 5ft 8 or shorter, you MAY be ok, but I'm 6ft1...Not overly tall by western standards.

With the footrest "deployed" there is zero chance of laying down on this waterboard of a seat....

Screw it...I tried everything possible to get something going which resembled comfort. Nada...zip....nothing worked.

To make matters worse the heat was cranked to some ungodly temp which when the FAs were asked by several.passengers to address, stayed exactly where it was.

To the person or team who designed this, seat and to the good folks at ANA who selected these seats, my aching tired and pissed off body thanks you. Each seam in the seat forms a perfect linear pressure point and some two hours later I'm still in pain.

I am borderline narcoleptic on planes, at the best of times with no pills or medication needed....ever.

Fir the first time in over 600,000 miles of travel the past two years, I was so uncomfortable that I was unable to sleep. Considering we started our trip on the east coast it has been 23 hours and counting.

Customer dinner tonight and perhaps the single most important meeting in the history of our company tomorrow all day are going to make for a painful exercise.

If the only take away from this is, to avoid ANA biz class at all costs, I have learned my lesson.

I know, it sounds, like a, whiney rant but the other guys from our team who were on that flight are similarly catatonic right now.

Rant over

guberif, MX, OY-JFS and 3 others like this.
  2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reading the title, i thought you were describing Y..

ANA has a new J class on the 77W that they are rolling out. a shame you got the old one.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that is true, then how do you determine whether you are getting the new or old product prior to making the reservation (or boarding the flight?)

4. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you are making the reservation on UA.com it will list the 777-300ER as 777-200 if it has the old seats. If it has the new seats it will be 777-300ER.

5. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had no choice...the UA crew were awesome....we just drew the short straw on aircraft it seems

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only flown NH long haul on LAX-HND once in J and never again will I take them! I'm 5"6 and the seat was really uncomfortable which says a lot!

brodyf likes this.
  7. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had no idea they had those old ones still.....

Every flight on the 77W I had with NH have always had the ANA Staggered. If I do remember correctly though, SEA was supposed to be a 788 until it was grounded, and it won't be 788 until September. So yeah you were out of luck..

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to add #FirstWorldProblems to the title, but nevertheless it's appreciated...

I'm always worried about the "old vs. new" hard product when choosing a flight, but it seems like in your case you didn't have much of a choice. Maybe you'll get the chance to give the new product a shot and compare it :)

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had that seat HND-LAX, it's slanted like many airlines had before UA and others started rolling out fully flat seats (eg LH) and yesit is hard as a rock! It was also hot as hell and even if the departure time was 1230AM, they turned on the lights on full blast and started service 3 (!!!!!) hours before arrival at LAX on a 9 hour flight. Of course, they were done making noise/doing the service 2 1/2 hours before arrival.

It was one of the worst C experiences in my entire life, I know exactly how the OP feels :(

MX, guberif, Flyer1976 and 1 other person like this.
  10. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread just adds credence to what one of my Asian friends has always claimed – that Americans generally like their air conditioning too cold and chairs and beds too soft. I think there's truth to that, as even Asian automakers tend to install softer seat cushions in their cars destined for North America than in the domestic versions they sell at home. I think these are just cultural preferences, but this thread, and other posts I've seen about ANA C before, have always made me not want to fly them. I'd rather be cold than hot just about anywhere (I can always bundle up more), and a hard airline seat that isn't long enough for my tall frame coupled with a hot cabin sounds like absolute misery.

icurhere2, Mackieman and viguera like this.
  11. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    JL's seats (at least on the 747s) are just as bad. They just aren't built for big butted Americans. It may be a cultural difference, but it's one I like. I don't see the point of eating puffer fish that might kill you either...

12. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's good to know! Thanks! I was just trying to figure that out. Planning an RTW award as we speak. But in F though so hoping to avoid all that nonsense. :)

viguera likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take the other side. I'm a fan of NH in J or F.

I prefer angled lie flat J to these damned staggered seats with their tiny footholes.

Divergent views make a market.

viguera likes this.
  14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:

Which is why everyone is tearing out those lie-flats for angled seats. ;)

viguera likes this.
  15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the criticism was so much the angled nature of the seat but rather the lack of padding. Never flown in this particular seat but know the LH one is pretty miserable and hard to get comfortable in. By contrast, I really like AA's "ancient" slanted J seat which is very well cushioned and hard to slide down on! For me, it even beats many of the C lay flats I've been in lately -- exUA and LA come to mind.