Toronto - Specialties

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by misman, Oct 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be taking a quick trip to Toronto on 11/16. When I travel somewhere new (and Toronto is new for me,) I try to get Peach something special to the area. For example, San Francisco provides sourdough bread. What, if anything, is considered a Toronto specialty that I could bring back (through airline security and all?)

Push to shove, I'll grab some nice post cards.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

hmmm, that's an interesting question and unlike Montreal, where I can think of Montreal smoked meat, bagels and poutine (which does not hold up well with transport! :D), Toronto is a bit more of a mystery for local foods. As it is the most multicultural city in the world, the cuisine reflects the ethnic diversity (and like poutine, may not transport well). Of classic items that made me happy as a kid, here are a few suggestions of local fare that you can bring back home:

1) peameal (or referred to as Canadian) bacon from Carousel Bakery at St Lawrence Market (enclosed local market - produce, meats, fish) in one of the older areas of town
    2) Shopsy's deli (not as good as Schwartz)
    3) Icewine from the Niagara region (sweet white dessert wine, Niagara has some of the best reislings in the world - available at the local liquor stores - LCBO)
    4) (cold) smoked salmon from Kristapsons, a family owned shop with on-sight curing facilities.

Of course, while there, I recommend sampling Chinese, Greek, steakhouses and some of the fine dining places in the DT core - it will be a great fact finding mission for your group's expedition to TO next year!

misman and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is what I thought of.
    I thought Canadian Bacon was simply from a pork loin and peameal bacon is a unique application to Canadian Bacon germane to Toronto area, hence peameal bacon sandwich from St Lawrence (which is on my list to do in a month)

canucklehead and misman like this.
  4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of the icewine, but probably won't fit in my Kippy bag! Perhaps the salmon will be a good choice if it doesn't have to be refrigerated to get back to ABQ.

To my knowledge, I'll be in the are of Air Canada Centre (the event site.) Not sure what meals we will have, but we are responsible for our own so will definitely check the multicultural opportunities if given the opportunity.

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Immediately beside the ACC is an Italian restaurant called Aria. If you are in the mood I would give it a try.

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

misman likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    A coolpack should do for the smoked salmon. I think they have single serve icewines at the LCBO. I will check tomorrow when I am in YYZ!

misman likes this.
  7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Will check them out when I'm there.

8. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Separate question. It appears that I can use my ATM card at any Scotiabank ATM with no foreign ATM fees. Assuming I am around ACC most of the time, is the availability of ATMs bountiful?

9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    misman and canucklehead like this.
  10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are a foodie and flying on AC, this month's edition of EnRoute (the in-flight magazine) has a nice list of the hottest new establishments. 6 of the 10 Cdn restaurants are in Toronto.

misman likes this.
  11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    All my flights are US/UA, but the UA flight was actually ticketed by Orbitz through AC (with a UA flight number on UA metal.)

13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can also mail you the magazine if you like! Done that before! :)

misman likes this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    misman likes this.
  15. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be in Markham for a night, thinking of dim sum in the area, this place in particular: Ding Tai Fung
    3235 Hwy 7, Markham, ON.

Anyone been to the above?

If not, anyone have good dim sum recommendations for Toronto?

17. xbrantarx

xbrantarx Member

Status Points:
    Lai Wah Heen - met hotel

18. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to pop back in and thank you for your input. I was able to pick up 2-50ml bottles of ice wine (that have not yet been opened.)

Most of my weekend was courtesy of Tourism Toronto. Dining was at the Westin Harbour Front, Sheraton, and the Fairmont Royal York. Nothing spectacular... typical hotel food.

My accommodation was at the Delta Chelsea, and I was very non-plussed. Not as much the room, but everything together. For example, the room was too warm, but there was no way to cool it down (short of opening the window to loud Yonge Street.)

Furthermore, when we toured the property, I found that my room was much larger than those that were offered for the upcoming convention. While I appreciate the upgraded room, I felt it was a little disingenuous since they were trying to "sell" us on using the hotel. (The tours of the Westin, Sheraton, Fairmont, Intercontinental, and Hilton yielded that the rooms assigned to my counterparts were the same as those sold to the convention.)

The highlight (other than the visit to Mill Street Brewery) was my personal visit to St. Lawrence Market prior to the group meetings and tours. Quite impressed with the fresh fruits & veg, meat, and fish. Also enjoyed the bountiful supply of cooked foods for sample and lunch.

I'm looking forward to my trip back in July... I hope there will be time to do something this time :)

TRAVELSIG and miles and smiles like this.