Toronto: PH or Regency?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Garp74, May 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hiya,

I have an event in July at the Fairmont York. I am trying to decide whether to stay at the Hyatt Regency which is closer to the event (9 mins walking according to Bing Maps) or the PH Toronto which is 9 min driving. I generally choose hotels for their relative newness and cleanliness. Service ("just leave me alone") and food (I generally eat out with associates off-property) are not particularly important to me. I do, however, appreciate a really good breakfast if it's available (like in the Asian Grand Hyatts, or the Churchill in London which has the best breakfast spread I've had yet).

Any opinions or advice welcome, and thank you!
    Garp74

uggboy likes this.
  2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    For Toronto I would walk as there is (was) construction at train station across from hotel with traffic (there always seems to be traffic by the hotel during my many visits) and parking can be expensive. I haven't stayed at either Hyatt though - I've stayed at Le Germain Maple Leaf walking to your event.

I've done a behind the scenes tour of Royal York quite fascinating the history there especially the murals in meeting rooms. I was on private tour during TBEX but think the concierge may offer something if you have interest in that. here is my post http://philatravelgirl.com/toronto-royal-york-hotel-history/

uggboy and Garp74 like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have yet to stay at a bad PH, though I have no specific experience with Hyatt in Toronto.

I will say getting around on foot or via car or can are all very easy, IMO.

uggboy likes this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both these properties, but not recently. I would definitely choose PH. Better rooms, better service and great rooftop bar.

5. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in June. The breakfast buffet is extensive or you can order from the menu.

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The HR is about 10-15 minute walk to the Fairmont, which is about the same amount of time to use the subway from the PH (Museum stop Southbound 5 stops, then a 4-5 min walk from Union station to the hotel). As noted, there is construction on Front St, so if you can avoid walking along that street. I would avoid taxi as the traffic can be quite bad during rush hour, esp when you get closer to the hotel and even worse with construction (making it more than 10 minute ride).

I prefer the PH, though i think that is because I have gotten to know some of the staff and they have been good about giving me a quiet room. They are older designed (solid classical furniture). Rooms have a Nespresso machine and the bathrooms tend to be spacious (I also prefer the PH toiletries over the KenetMD). The hotel's breakfast is served at the Annona restaurant and it is pretty good. It is menu/a la carte and not buffet-style. If you stay there, try not to get addicted to the biscotti/tea biscuits they bring out. Freshly squeezed OJ, great coffee (I usually get latte with soy). As a Diamond, they allow for the number of people in your room, but they have extended this to 4 people (up to $27pp, which is equivalent to one of their signature omelette plates with coffee and juice). I prefer the South Tower - ask for a room facing Bloor st if possible. If you prefer a quiet room, ask for North Tower facing West (East faces construction and Avenue Rd) The hotel is clean, staff are friendly. Amazingly, its a Cat4 hotel, so if you have to use a free night certificate, its a great choice.

The HR used to be a Holiday Inn. Its a relatively tall hotel tower with friendly staff. The room layouts are a bit odd in some (and the red paint in some areas are aesthetically jarring), but I have been fortunate that in the 4 times in the past year I have been there, they have upgraded me every time (though its only a one night stay). Furnishings are more modern though they are getting a bit long in the tooth. Comfy sofas. My room had huge windows so you can see the city skyline. The suites were pretty big. Breakfast is served in the lower level and as noted is a nice spread. Its tasty, good assortment of cold and hot food items, probably one of the better ones. They are not of the level of top Asian hotels or like the Hyatts in Mel/Syd, but they are probably as good if not better than most NA-based ones. You can order an omelette from the menu if you like instead of the scrambled eggs in the buffet. The waitress I get (I just forgot her name) is super friendly, always there to top up your coffee and willing to chat with you (though will leave you alone if you wish).

Both the King St (where HR is) and Yorkville (where PH is) are excellent areas to dine out with colleagues. I prefer the latter locale and hotel, but for convenience and if you prefer buffet style (or better chances of upgrades), the HR is a more suitable choice.

Garp74, philatravelgirl and TAHKUCT like this.
  7. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the replies everyone, especially canucklehead :)

I went ahead and booked 5 nights at PH.

TAHKUCT likes this.