Toronto Lounge Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by joediver, Nov 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying CX in F from HKG-YYZ next month and I have not read many positive reviews on the KLM lounge. I'm transferring to AA so I could use the Admirals Club there. I'd really rather use the Maple Leaf lounge as I've been there before and found it very comfortable. I'd like some feedback regarding KLM vs AA vs Independent lounges available with my AMEX Platinum through Priority Club. Thanks

2. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    if you are flying to YYZ, you will have to clear customs in Canada and then US customs and then you would be in the transborder area. personally, i find the Plaza lounge to be better than any other lounge, MLL included. Your plat will get you in and it will be very nice. there is a TR on the same over at FT here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip...ip-ac-y-photos-plaza-lounge-yankees-game.html

in fact, this was the TR I read that prompted me to go and have always gone there since. thankfully, a collegue of mine has a plat also whom i travel with to the US on almost all business trips...so you can even guest a fellow traveller.

joediver likes this.
  3. joediver
    Original Member

joediver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Since I normally fly *A I've been using the MLL. Pictures from the link definitely look nicer than KLM.

4. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    also, when you arrive from HKG, you will not have lounge access since you have to clear customs first. access to the KLM lounge is only when departing from YYZ to HKG. the KLM lounge is dump and in fact, there is also a plaza lounge in the lounge area at YYZ so i would use that, even if I had to pay versus using the KLM lounge.

funny how FRA gets a CX lounge for one daily flight but 2 sometimes 3 out of YYZ gets a dumpy KLM lounge and CX can not even get BA to open its doors as they used to.

5. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct and also the OP will not be able to walk over to the KL lounge once he preclears US Customs & Immigration nor will he meet the criteria requirements for access into that lounge anyways.
    CX never had nor has more than two commercial passenger flights per day to/from YYZ.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    As noted OP will have to clear Canadian immigration and then US preclearance of immigration and customs. This means there is no way to access the KLM or BA or Plaza Premium lounges (there is a PP in the domestic wing but not the transborder wing). The only lounge in the transborder wing is the AA Admirals Club. Your CX ticket should give you access as an international ONEWORLD passenger. Small but comfortable with several different areas, PCs to use.

AC operates from T1 and you'll be in T3, but not flying STAR you won't have access to it of course.

7. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    not sure why i thought they had 3 a day...

in any case, 14 a week versus FRA's 7 and FRA gets a CX lounge is totally beyond me.