Toronto 3 days

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by johnbom, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. johnbom

johnbom Active Member

Status Points:
    Traveling to Toronto this summer for a long weekend with the family. I have the zoo and CN tower on the agenda, but looking for any inside information anyone might have -- for such a short trip -- for any must see or do activities.

Thanks!

Exit Row likes this.
  2. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just North of Toronto on highway 400 about 30k amusement park Canada's Wonderland.

4. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    St. Lawrence Market on a Saturday morning.The Beaches.
    Little Italy, Greektown (the Danforth), lots of great places to eat!

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    chef4u has noted some of the foody things to do, but don't forget dim sum (Lee Wah Heen, Dynasty being more fancy, but many others in the city.)

If you are into theatre, check out Shakespeare in the Park (located at High Park in the west part of TO, outdoor Shakespeare production, donations), Mirvish Productions or Canadian Stage company.

Outside the city, there is Niagara Falls. If you like wildlife, check out the African Lion Safari, but when going through the park, take the free bus and not your own car!

6. johnbom

johnbom Active Member

Status Points:
    These are all wonderful suggestions. Thanks!!

We have already been to NF dozens of times. I'd like to go back, but I've already been vetoed...

7. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, for sure take in the various 'ethic' districts. The above-noted are all worth visiting (you can find exact locations/descriptions online and in tourist guides). Not mentioned, I would add Chinatown downtown (there is also a huge Asian community in north Toronto if you want a slightly more 'upscale' experience. Just off Chinatown downtown is Kensington Market - which is a really interesting micro-centre of diverse cultures.

There is also a nice 'Little India' area worth checking out on Gerard East. And even a Portuguese area downtown near one of two "Little Italies" (one off College and one off St. Clair). And of course there is a huge Jewish area runing north on Bathurst, and along Eglinton.

As for shopping, there is high end Bloor Street, leading into Yorkville, running west from Yonge. Or the hip, trendy Queen Street area running west from University. Or the malls, mostly suburban, except for the Eaton Centre. If you are into theatre, the King Street Theatre District rivals NYC & London.

And if anyone is visiting in the summer, I highly recommend checking out the Toronto waterfront area. Lots of marinas, shopping, eateries, etc... Or even Toronto Island. Great place for the kids.

So lots, to do. The interesting thing about the various ethnic communities I've listed is there are all 100% authentic experiences in terms of food, shopping and vibe. It's almost like you are visiting the home country. In some cases, menus and signage are not even in English.

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers,

johnbom and chef4u like this.
  8. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that Saturday and Sunday you can buy a transit day pass, currently $10. This allows 2 adults and up to 4 children to travel on all buses, streetcars and subway on an unlimited basis. Best deal in town! see www.ttc.ca for all the details. Ride the Queen 501 streetcar from the Beach neighborhood right across the city to Long Branch.

9. johnbom

johnbom Active Member

Status Points:
    I've done some research on all of the suggestions. There are so many good ideas, I have no idea how I'm going to do all of them in the few days I have. I never realized how much Toronto had to offer!

Thank you to everyone!

travelingmore likes this.
  10. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    We spent one day in Toronto and enjoyed the CN Tower and Casa Loma - a very interesting historical home with an underground passageway from buildings on one side of the street to the other. Self guided tours, convenient parking next to the home. May not be best for young children, but nice slice of history - used in several movies as well.

11. johnbom

johnbom Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm working out how to get to the zoo; the way I've found that seems to have the least hassle is a 1 day rental from a HLE (Hertz Local Edition) that is downtown.

Getting from the airport to downtown seems to be another challenge, for three of us, can't decide between the express bus, city bus or a taxi...

12. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Casa Loma is Toronto's one and only "Castle", butilt by a rich guy, who later when bankrupt, at the turn of the Century. It's now a tourist attraction. The underground passage is from the main home to the stables. Quite impressive stables at that! Stable even has turrets!

13. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    The easiest way from YYZ to downtown is taxi. Although I would take a sedan 'limo' for the extra $5-10 bucks. The other options are cheaper, although the City bus/subway will take up to an hour or more. Some like the express bus, but you have to wait for it (on a schedule), then you still have to get where you are going if you aren't staying at the Royal York. Even though the sedan costs the most, I think it's worth it - immediate, and direct.

As for the zoo - yes, it's a long way from anything. But it's worth it - one of the best zoos anywhere. Your only options are transit (takes a long time, with connections), or taxi (fastest, but costly), or rental as you indicate. The nice thing about the rental is you could do some additional exploring on your way back, or in the evening, before your return it.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

East_Yorker likes this.
  14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a quick primer on the options:
    LIMO (Really just a Town Car, but it's called a limo)
    Fare: FROM Airport about $60-65 in taxi, including tip. FROM Airport in Limo about $70-75, including tip
    TO airport in taxi: about $70, including tip. TO Airport in Limo, about $65, including tip
    Time: Non-rush hour: about 35 minutes. IN rush-hour, up to an hour.

As seen above, it's actually a couple of dollars cheaper to take a Limo from downtown Toronto to the airport than a taxi. Because to the airport, taxis are on the meter, to the airport in a limo, it's flat-rate.

From the airport, the you can just wait in the taxi area, as similar Town Cars double as taxis (you have to see the white taxi cab sign on top of the car to distinguish), only those cars seem to be former limos, only with lots of miles.

TORONTO AIRPORT EXPRESS
    Fare: $22 per person, each way. $36 round-trip, per person
    Time: Depending on hotel location, 60-90 minutes

If there are three people in your party, there is no advantage to taking this service. It's a private company that runs a Greyhound-like bus from the airport to downtown. Depending on your destination, you will likely need to transfer to another vehicle at the first stop in downtown.

The deal-breaker for you is how it's $22 per person, each way. Would actually be cheaper for you to take the taxi from the airport at the flat-rate.

BUS/SUBWAY
    Fare: $3 per person, each direction
    Time: Depending on hotel location, 60 minutes (Yorkville area) to 90 minutes (most Toronto hotels)

The subway does not go to Pearson Airport. If you choose this cheapest option, you need to take Bus number 192 (To Kipling Station) to the subway stop. It's about a 15 minute ride (express bus, one or two stops in between) to the subway station. Fare covers your subway ride(s). 192 only goes from the Airport and to the subway station.

If you're not staying in the Yorkville (Bloor and Yonge street intersection area), you'll need to transfer to another subway line. It's not impossible, but if you plan well ahead, you can navigate the subway system just fine (or mention which hotel you're staying at and I can tell you exactly how to get there via subway).

Good luck! Enjoy Toronto.

East_Yorker, joanek and Exit Row like this.
  15. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did this last summer, and it was very easy and relatively quick!
    And here's another vote for St Lawrence Mkt--
    I also found a load of free street festivals and special events around town every weekend I checked.