Topguest Giving away eleVAte Silver

Discussion in 'Virgin America | Elevate' started by edekba, Aug 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.topguest.com/elevate

Basically
    To get in the running:
    1. If you’re not already an Elevate member, sign up.
    2. Sign up for Topguest (if you haven't already), and add your Elevate accounthere.
    3. Once you’re done, share your location through Facebook, Instagram, or Foursquare at any Virgin America airport terminal, gate, or baggage claim.
    4. Each day for five days, Virgin America will give instant Elevate Silver status to one Topguest user who has shared their location at a valid Virgin America venue.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    But did you read the fine print?

PRIZE: One Eligible Entrant will win one (1) upgrade to Elevate Silver status and all the benefits that​
    come with it (total of 5 winners) good for one year (collectively, the “Prize”). The benefits of Elevate​
    Silver status are outlined here: http://virginamerica.com/vx/elevatebenefits. The value of the winner’s
    prize is approximately $4,000.00. Winner is fully responsible for any and all applicable federal, state and
    local taxes and fees/charges (including income and withholding taxes).\​

and

NOTIFICATION: The monthly potential Winners will be notified by email on or around the approximate​
    Winner Notification Date as outlined above to request a completed Affidavit of Eligibility, a​
    Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or a W-8 BEN tax form and all eligibility information,​
    including his/her email address, telephone number and mailing address within ten (10) days following​
    determination of the Winner (the "Prize Notification"). In the event that the Prize Notification is​
    returned as undeliverable, or the potential Winner is otherwise unreachable for any reason, the Sponsor may award to an alternate potential Winner​

I don't see any way they can come up with that $4000 valuation for Silver status because it's going to be worth pretty much nothing to me if I don't fly VX. Well, okay, I get a few extra miles out of Topguest for however long that lasts.

If they really want a W-9 form, they can shove their Silver status up their APU (can I say that here?). :D

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah I'm not sure about the $4,000 either; but hey I fly VA thus I do TG as well. If you never fly VA i don't see the point in doing TG for them ... you're gonna checking in forever.
    If i got VA Silver; I'd take it & prolly fly with them more often seeing as I am non-elite with everything.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown one RT, got a few hundred points with some FB promo and a bunch of TG points. I think by now I have enough miles for a one-way from SFO to LAS or something like that. Haven't really looked. Since it's zero effort, I do the TG. But I would not want to pay taxes on $4k for this prize even if I occasionally flew VX. Or regularly (but not enough to actually earn Silver). It's in no relation to the actual value received. I wonder if they copy/pasted the T&Cs from somewhere.

edekba likes this.