TopCashBack vs Shopping Portals

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Espan, May 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been seeing a lot of buzz about TopCashBack lately, and understand how it works. I'm assuming using TCB voids the points/bonuses gotten by going through a shopping portal (AA, UR, etc, take yr pick). So is the attraction basically a couple extra % points, or are there techniques to double/triple dip? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to go to Topcashback and see which webpages you can shop on and get cash back. For example, the 10% cash back on Club Carlson bookings is more than a couple extra points or pennies in my book.
    You certainly can get cash back and points. We are all doing so with the Club Carlson deals.

wrxmom, Sweet Willie and Espan like this.
  3. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thxs

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    any drawbacks/negatives to TCB that you (or others) have experienced?

euromannn likes this.
  5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    drawback - they don't give AA or DL miles with the cash!

Sweet Willie and viguera like this.
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to TCB, so I haven't received my cash yet. But I have read of others who have already received their cash from the Club Carlson/TCB promo.

KathInJax and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pyramid scheme...the next person is paid only when new referral is granted.

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was referring to the cash back that is pending from the Country Inn I stayed at.

9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The cash back portals are just that - paying you cash back. The miles portals are just - paying you in miles instead of cash. Every time I shop online I use one of the comparison sites (my favorite evreward.com, but there are others with more or less coverage) to determine which has the better deal. Sometimes the cash-back is better value, sometimes the miles are better value. It is a matter of making a deliberate choice every time, not blindly choosing one portal over the other. It is especially important, as the cash-back/mild-back ratio is dynamic and changes daily.

I have received cash from TCB before without a problem. It is not a pyramid scheme, it just take time for the portal to receive the cash back from the merchant. They probably sit on for a while (getting some interest) and then post it to you. It is not a surprise, it is all explained upfront.

carwag25, wrxmom, Espan and 2 others like this.
  10. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use the points portals the majority of the time for my online purchases. I generally use the cashback portals for hotel reservations which are generally not offered on the points portals. As the example that Miles and Smiles gave, Radisson (Club Carlson) is only offered on cashback portals.

Espan likes this.
  11. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is mostly just what you prefer to have, Cash vs. Points.

Some cashback shopping portals offer higher amounts back, on a pure numerical basis, than the miles portals.

That does not take into consideration that cash holds more value than a points program.

But most of us here are willing to lose those extra cashback options to earn our free trips.

There are also shopping portal aggregation sites that will scrape different shopping portals, points and cashback alike, to find the best deals.

Not all cashback portals are created equally and some do require you hit an earning threshold for them to payout.

You could use your Rewards CC and shop through a cashback portal to earn both.

That sounds lie the true milepoint way!

12. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cashback portals pay cash regardless of whether you have a referral or not (legit ones at least). I have personally gotten $100+ from Ebates for example and no one ever referred me. I have $30 in TCB but am not going to try and pull it out until I get all my recent purchases posted. Referrals just give you extra cash once the person you refer spends X amount so that you cannot just refer a million people without them spending a cent and getting paid yourself.