Top airline food gripes: smelly, not free

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Apr 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/top-a...airline-food-gripes-smelly-not-free-1C9291906

The majority of travelers bring food with them on board flights versus buying items directly from the airline, a new survey found. But please. Leave that stinky fast food in the terminal.

The online survey conducted by YouGov polled 1,000 travelers about their eating habits, when flying from U.S. airports. Nearly one in three (31 percent) brought food onto the plane with them—16 percent of that group purchased items in the airport and 15 percent brought food from home. Only 7 percent of respondents bought food on the plane. The survey results were released late last week.
    And while 17 percent listed strong smelling food brought on board by other fliers as their top complaint, the largest gripe was that free hot meals aren't available on flights more than four hours.
    Other major criticisms included limited food options (37 percent), expensive food choices (31 percent) and poor quality (24 percent).

Read More: http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/top-a...airline-food-gripes-smelly-not-free-1C9291906

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This stat I find interesting, if food is so crappy on the airplane and folks plan on eating, why don't they bring their own meal on board???!!!!!

BTW, my fave bring your own meal onboard meals have been departing out of SIN, I'd stop by a hawker center on way to airport, have taxi wait for me and get a dish to go. So good.

flightnurse and sobore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. I usually put somehting togther pre-airport, otherwise your stuck with a $9 wilted salad.:(
    15 minutes spent at your local grocery can get you cheaper, better food for your trip.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I find the smell of airplane food service to be positively revolting. I would always prefer to bring food on the plane....unless I am flying in business or first, I find the food largely inedible (JAL offering Haagen Daaz was a nice exception). Since, I have only flown business twice...I usually don't eat. :)

5. flightnurse

flightnurse Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once my partner and I brought food on board a southwest flight, a early AM flight PHX-IND, I thought the women sitting on the other side of the plane were going to snatch the food away from us... We had begal sandwichs. Another time we stopped at the Calif Pizza Kitchen food court and got two asian salads, love those salads, again I though the people around us were going to take the food from us, we were on a PHX-BWI southwest flight and those snack box's are not the same as those salads.

Sweet Willie likes this.