TOP AA MILES EARNING OPPORTUNITIES

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by slotownmomma, Apr 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. slotownmomma
    Original Member

slotownmomma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to earn as many AA miles as possible this year to finance a family trip. Can anyone share what big promos are out their for AA to earn miles other than credit cards. I have already done those.
    Hopefully, this thread can benefit others who are looking to earn AA miles too this year.

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't we all here trying to earn max amount of miles by spending as little as possible ;)

It might be easier for others to help if you can be a bit more specific, e.g. how many miles do you need.

3. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I need to earn 200,000 in the next year.

4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe there's something here you can use: http://www.frequentflyerbonuses.com/aadvantage.html

5. thetravelloop
    Original Member

thetravelloop Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a few:

Register with the American AAdvantage eShopping portal you can earn 1000 miles if you sign up by May 13, accept their emails, and watch a short video.
    https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/RegisterNowSpring.aspx?promoCode=FBQ104A11&WT.mc_ID=442

Just in time for Easter & Mother's Day
    American Airlines AAdvantage miles mall is also running a deal for 30 miles per dollar at FTD.
    http://www.ftd.com/28330/catalog/category.epl?index_id=occasion_easter_savings&external=1

Spend $75 at the AAdvantage miles mall and get 500 Bonus miles.
    https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/SpringSpendEarn500.aspx?promoCode=ACP4Q20411&WT.mc_ID=441

So, if you sign up and buy flowers for over $75 then it could be an easy 4,000(ish) miles.

Get 500 free AA Advantage miles for a no obligation Liberty Mutual auto quote.
    http://www.libertymutualonline.com/affinity/americanairlines/index.html?&src=aa_splashpage

Up to 10,000 miles with BankDirect’s Refer-a-Friend program. BankDirect is participating in the American Airlines AAdvantage® program to offer mileage opportunities to new and current AAdvantage members.
    http://www.bankdirect.com/programs/aadvantage.aspx?tab=friend

6. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for putting this together --

7. thetravelloop
    Original Member

thetravelloop Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problem, I do a weekly newsletter with free miles opportunities if you are interested. :)

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BankDirect thread has some good info about the program too... there's potential for good one-time bonuses, but you have to put in the work.

* 1k miles for opening an account
    * 5k miles for bill pay -- if you have 3 different payees in a month
    * 5k miles for getting their debit card
    * 1k miles through the referal program
    * 10k miles for direct deposit

So that's another 22k miles right there, plus whatever you earn just for having money on the account. Still, even though "miles are miles", in the grand scheme of things that's a drop in the bucket for someone looking for 200k miles.

The credit card offers and presidential coins are the only way I can think of you can bank that kind of mileage -- other than flying, of course. :)

9. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're too early. Check here tomorrow, and for the next 5 weeks.

torbster likes this.
  11. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'll do this one. It adds up quickly though. I am planning in advance as I don't need these miles till 2012 or early 2013. This is when I'm planning our families next European vacation (4 of us).

12. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the invitation. I just subscribe. Looking forward to reading your blog!

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well time to start working... :)

Based on that new 5 r/t promo going on now maybe you can do 5 short hops and get the 30k miles.

14. I am new to this game, however cc bonuses seem to be the way to get the biggest increases. A few others I've tried... AA shopping mall... current sign up bonus is 1000 miles with specific link plus another 500 for $75 spend, I think. I've done a few transactions thru the mall and have noticed some miles are very sloooooooow to post.

AA Dining... Not sure if there is a current bonus or promotion but I was able to get the sign up bonus, first few dines bonus and double miles dines for limited time... total a little over 4k miles.

Facebook... they've had at least one low mileage promo recently.

Last but certainly not least... Amazon Payments!! If you've got the Citi cards you can run $1k through each (1k miles/month) for free.

Just a few tips from another noob... hope this helps.

15. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help. I was aware of all of these options except the Amazon Payments thing. Could you expand on that.

16. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you know if I can just do the Bank Direct deal for a few months and get the bonuses and then cancel without any fees? I was thinking maybe it might be worth paying the $15 month fee to get at least some miles. I don't have $2,500 to keep in the account.

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    As per the other huge BankDirect thread on this forum, to get the 5k miles for bill pay you have to set it up to pay 3 different merchants per month for 12 months, so that infers that you need to keep the account open for that long or you miss out on those miles.

The 5k miles for using their debit card also come with strings... you have to use their card 12 times per statement cycle for 3 consecutive months. This is significantly easier to achieve, since you can just buy a soda or a donut every now and then, but it still entails that you keep the account open for 3 months.

18. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Okay....sounds like I can still get a little miles out of it. Maybe worth it....hmmm.
    Anyway, thanks for all the advice & info . I really appreciate your helpfulness. I think I'm going to stay away from the Citibank checking. Looks too risky with the 1099 situation. If you get one that would really kill the deal and my hubby would be way upset at me. I would love the 40,000 easy miles though for an acct for me & him. Oh....well, I'll just have to earn it another way. I've already done two 75,000 Citibank cards. Maybe I need to just find another high sign up cc bonus that has points that can transfer to AA.

19. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    BankDirect will charge you $15 if you close their account within 90 days.Their statement cycle ends on the last business day of the calendar month.

If you time it properly and your employer also processes changes in DD fast enough, you can have a DD by the time the first statement closes. Call them immediately after you see the DD online and they will give you the 10k miles for that. Wait for miles to appear in your AA account and close the BD account. You might be able to get away with just $30 in fees for 12k miles.

If you don't get the DD by the time the first statement closes, its best to keep the account open for 3 months, get the debit card bonus and then close the account. $45 in fees for 17k miles.

If they waive the monthly fee for the first statement cycle, it will work better for you.

In both cases, you will have to pay an extra $15 if they charge you a monthly fee for the 2 or 3 days that you need to wait to close the account after the statement closes.

viguera likes this.
  20. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds great but I don't have a DD to do since I'm a homemaker. Not sure if it's still worth it for the miles. What do you think?

21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's worth doing and keeping open. If you can get the direct deposit bonus, there are still other bonuses (opening, referral, bank card) and, of course, the regular miles for your balance are great!

22. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without DD you are looking at 7k miles for $45. I wouldn't do it. Can you get a family member/friend to setup a DD into your account in return for cash?

23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    7k miles for $45 is a good deal in my book . . .

viguera likes this.
  24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed AA sells 7k miles for $175.

schnitzel likes this.
  25. slotownmomma
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if you can do a direct depost by having your paypal account deposit something into your BankDirect account? I read something once about this and another deal.