Top 5 Museums

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by NileGuide, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. [​IMG]
    Orlando Science Center
    For an educational day visit some of Orlando’s museums.
    1. Orlando Museum of Art
    It began with a group of artists in the 1920s displaying their work. Today, it’s known as one of the best museums in the South. A big part of Orlando’s cultural scene, the museum plays host to the Festival of Trees and other fun events throughout the year.
    (2416 N. Mills Ave., Orlando, 407-896-4231)
    2. Menello Museum
    For another dose of ingenuity, walk across the street to the Mennello Museum of American Art. Inside, a treasure trove of works is on display by folk artist Earl Cunningham. Outside, the lawn areas offers gorgeous views and majestic trees. One in particular is known as “The Mayor,” one of Central Florida’s oldest and largest oaks. It’s dozens of massive limbs that rest on the ground are a sight to see.
    (900 E. Princeton St., Orlando, 407-246-4278)
    3. Orlando Science Center
    Kids and adults alike love the Orlando Science Center. It’s four floors of pure fun. Check out simulators at Science Park and DinoDigs, where a fossil display is the main attraction. To top it off, the giant refractor telescope at the top of the observatory offers stellar star-gazing.
    (777 E. Princeton St., Orlando, 407-514-2000)
    4. Orange County History Center
    The Historical Museum opened its doors in 1942 in the Orange County Courthouse, which was built in 1892. It began as a pioneer kitchen exhibit for the Central Florida Centennial Celebration. These days it brings photography exhibits to life, hosts gatherings and serves as a way to preserve Central Florida history.
    (65 East Central Blvd., Orlando, 407-836-8500)
    5. The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art
    The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art boasts the world’s most comprehensive collection of Tiffany jewelry, pottery, paintings and lamps. Plus: There’s the chapel interior Charles Tiffany — one of Winter Park’s first residents — designed for the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago.
    (445 N. Park Ave., Winter Park, 407-645-5311)

Continue reading...

alohastephen likes this.
  2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning a side trip to the Kansas Aviation Museum this winter with my 8 and 10 year old sons.

http://www.kansasaviationmuseum.org/

Any experience/recommendations here?

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    all these museums are in Orlando, perhaps again correct the title!!

TAHKUCT likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I don't think I would include any of those if this were a national list.

My top 5 in the world (only because of the London one) are:

National Gallery of Art
    National Portrait Gallery and Museum of American Art (I think that's the name)
    The Exploratorium
    The Science Museum, London
    The Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center

Although if it were a top 10 list, the remainder would all be international candidates.

TrippePanAM, hulagrrl210 and TAHKUCT like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, title is misleading. Unless OP wants us to post top 5 museums for each of us in US

storyteller likes this.
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I knew there was a National Portrait Gallery in London and it is amazing, but was not aware that there is one in DC. Looks very interesting. Will have to visit next time I am in DC

storyteller likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    BIg pink building next to the mall. The back story is interesting. Andrew Mellon paid for the building and donated his art collection, and his descendants have contributed after his death with additional art and funds for its expansion. However, he became unpopular during his term as Secretary of the Treasury during the Great Depression and was almost impeached (he resigned before the vote). He was also investigated for tax fraud. They later found he had actually overpaid his taxes, but not until after he died. And for all his contributions, the only monument to him is a fountain behind the museum that is in perpetual disrepair.

TrippePanAM and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dc has so many cool muesums........ perhaps I am a bit bias but my favorite is the Air and Space Museum

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the Portait Gallery was over by the Comcast center where the capitals Play :confused: but maybe I don't know my own city

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The National Portrait Gallery and National Museum of American Art are housed in the former patent office near where you're thinking, at 7th and F (although I thought it was the Verizon Center). The National Gallery of Art is down the street on the Mall between the Museum of Natural History and the Capitol. I believe it is not part of the Smithsonian, but I think it does have a charter from Congress.

TrippePanAM likes this.
  11. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ahhh copy copy thats right ....... I lose track of all the museums in Dc lol

12. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Favorite Museums in the USA

American History Museum

Air and Space Muesum

National Churchill Muesum in America

Outeside the USA

Imperial War Museum

The Louve

British Museum

Duetsch Mesum

13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love Imperial War Museum, especially its Holocaust Exhibit.

storyteller likes this.