Top 10 scenic airport approaches

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jan 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

10 most scenic airplane landings in the world. The top spot went to the Caribbean island of St Maarten where aircrafts of all sizes land just metres from the beach at Princess Juliana Airport.
    The Caribbean proved to be most popular of all when it comes to scenic airport strips, with three island airports being named in the top 10.

Adam Tidwell, CEO of comments: "St Maarten is a truly exhilarating landing and a well-deserved winner. The approach begins over an expanse of blue Caribbean, coming in so low and close to the beach you can almost read the sunbathers' newspapers below. It literally takes your breath away."

The scenic landings were chosen by a panel of travel experts including Adam Tidwell; Tatler travel editor Francisca Kellet; Matthew Stibbe of Forbes; and ex editor of Telegraph Travel and Condé Nast Traveler (USA), Graham Boynton. Each judge chose their top three landings, which then formed the shortlist for the public vote.

Last year’s winner, the tidal beach runway on the Isle of Barra in Scotland’s Outer Hebrides, took second spot this year, while Los Angeles spectacular beach and city view came in at number three.

Read More:
    guinnessxyz and uggboy like this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

I've landed at 5 of these 10 airports.
  3. I've done 6 of them. Very best ever in my opinion was the old HKG airport. The Seychelles airport also ranks very highly in my opinion.