Top 10 cycling destinations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/11/us-travel-picks-cycling-idUSBRE84A0PR20120511

[​IMG]

While most travelers know that Copenhagen and Amsterdam are ideal for exploring by bicycle, the rise of bike-sharing and bike tours in other cities is making discovering other destinations by bicycle easier than ever. That's why the members and editors of travel website VirtualTourist.com (www.virtualtourist.com) have compiled a list of the "Top 10 Spots to Explore by Bicycle." Reuters has not endorsed this list: 1. Montréal, Québec, Canada

While Montréal's most famous paths may lie underground, it's most intriguing routes in the upcoming warmer months lie amongst its 2,400 miles of bike trails and paths. The first North American city to adopt a bicycle-sharing program, Montréal has a few popular rides, including along the Lachine Canal, the quays of the Old Port, and Rue McGill. In addition to paths within the city, Montréal lies in the center of the Route Verte, a series of bikeways throughout Quebec modeled after Denmark's national cycle routes and the Danube and Rhine bikeways. The route, which starts further west at Fort-Coulogne, also connects Montréal with Québec City to the north. 2. Paris, France.

Read More: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/11/us-travel-picks-cycling-idUSBRE84A0PR20120511

perryplatypus, mynameismud and Kalboz like this.
  2. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish but Paris is definitely not a biking friendly city...Vélib' or not !

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Daredevil bike riders will enjoy their visit. ;)

mynameismud likes this.
  4. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't agree with this list. I'd cycle NorCal and CO before Austin or Montreal any day of the week. Also, Paris is not bike friendly!

mynameismud likes this.
  5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm amazed at all the Paris-bike-hate here!

Last summer, my family of 8 (4 adults, 4 teenagers) had an absolutely great time biking around Paris on Velib bikes. No one got hurt - in fact, the closest anyone even came to an accident was when a gust of wind blew a table and umbrella into the street near one adult.

We all still talk about it and about when we can do it again.