Tool for finding cheap flights from departure city without entering destination

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by DAS02135, Feb 9, 2011.

1. margaret707

margaret707 New Member

Status Points:
    no its work very well

2. margaret707

margaret707 New Member

Status Points:

really travelfox. com is good web site to search for cheapest flight tickets, i tried it before.

deltagoldLass likes this.
  3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    The link was dead for me when I posted that. I later posted it was back up. And welcome to MP Margaret707!

4. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I've never read one of these threads... I used to just make up my own little system for finding mileage runs. I use the ITA matrix, and here's my typical process. The quick background is that RDU is my home airport, and UA is my airline of choice.
    1. Hit the ITA Matrix: http://matrix.itasoftware.com
    2. Enter home airport (and/or nearby airports) in the departure field.
    3. For the destination, I typically pick something central to the US, like BNA or something, then click "Nearby" say, 1,000 miles, and select all. This picks all major airports within that radius.
    4. Add advanced routing codes. ITA supports things like "/alliance star-alliance" to show all *A flights. That will include US, and with the imminent departure of US from *A, I've started forcing it to show only UA flights using something like "C:UA+" (which specifies one or more segments on UA).
    5. Select "See calendar of lowest fares", and pick a Friday (you can pick any day, but I tend to do my MRs on the weekend, so I pick a Friday to see that weekend and the following 4). If you're doing a single day mileage run, put 0 nights in the length of stay box and hit search.
    I've had pretty good success with this method. The calendar that comes back will show you a grid of fare prices. Pick the lowest price, and you'll get a list of flights and fares back.
    This certainly excludes some cities, and the logic is far from perfect, but it has worked well for me in the past. It'll never give me a west coast flight as an example, though I typically try to keep mileage runs to a single day (out first thing in the morning, back for dinner), so west coast is sort of out of the picture for me anyway.

It looks like I'll be about 10 segments short of Gold this year, so I started plugging in some cities. Found a bunch of single day hops up the east coast, things like RDU-EWR-BOS-EWR-RDU for $200 and under. With the 500 mile minimums it comes out to about 8.5 CPM, which is a little high for a mileage run, but tolerable for me.

Newscience, deltagoldLass and anileze like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is what I use:

Code:
    http://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=JFK,EWR,LGA;a=SKYTEAM
    It is essentially itasoftware in the backend. Plug in the dates and it shows you on a map, all the cities with fares. But, given the new MQM and Mileage accrual changes, On ehas to dig deep into farebasis/booking class :(

Newscience and deltagoldLass like this.
  6. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that Google Flights is a good tool to use. Its like a more use friendly version of ITA Matrix. I use them both. Now, only if a tool like the "Fare Compare Flyertalk" was still around that would be fantastic. Thay was the best of them all to see Cheap Flights from the Departure City, even sorted by Carrier and Cost per Mile. Oh well, those were the days.. Thanks and Safe Travels

Newscience and OceanBreezes like this.
  7. Flying Machine

Status Points:
    Link does not seem to work, just goes to site for sale page? Thanks for posting, if you find an updated version please let us know.. Thanks and Safe Travels

Newscience likes this.
  8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

Given that Google bought ITA, my assumption would be that Google Flights in fact is a friendly front end to ITA.

That said, I still use the ITA Matrix a lot more. Maybe I'm just accustomed to it now, but there seems to be more options and better capabilities of the original tool. Sometimes simple UI/UX is done at the expense of more flexible options, or maybe I just have to force myself to use the Google branded version to see that added value.

The "select airports within x miles" feature hasn't been brought to the Google branded version, and that's a feature I use a ton. If I'm MR'ing, sometimes I don't care what airport I go to. Google Flights gives you some nearby airports, but no ability to provide a range, or select all of them without manually clicking them.

Newscience likes this.
  9. Flying Machine

Status Points:
    I find Hipmunk a very confusing tool to use. I just have a hard time using it.. I actually prefer Google Flights. Here is a live link: http://www.google.com/flights/ Its works rather well, you get to see a map of fares, can choose airline, alliance, connection city, etc all the options of ITA in a user friendly format. And it brings you to the airline or booking site with all the data for the flights selected. I use it all the time.

Hope this helps.. Thanks and Safe Travels

Newscience likes this.
  10. decibel05

decibel05 New Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what you need! A tool for finding cheap flights without entering a destination. You can book all your flights on this website: skysurf.travel

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    This site does produce good results, risky for those of us who just want to get on a plane and don't particularly care where it's going.

12. Paul_Belly

Paul_Belly New Member

Status Points:
    Yes, these are great and book cheap air tickets from here.

kayak.com
    momondo.com
    skyscaner.com
    wego.com
    FareCompare
    Cheapfaremart.com