Too soon to apply for Chase Ink Bold/Plus?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Comenius, Oct 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Comenius

Comenius Active Member

Status Points:
    I did my first ever AOR on 9/28 and was approved for 5 cards.

At some point I'd like to get the Chase Ink Bold or Plus card for the flexibility of UR points. Not sure if it makes any difference in the approval process, but I've had a couple business credit cards for a few years, including the no annual fee Chase Ink Cash card, although I haven't used it that much.

I understand it's advisable to wait about 90 days until applying for a new round of cards, but my first property tax payment is due in early December and paying it with a Chase Ink card would make a major dent in the $10K spending requirement (although I would have to pay a 2.5% convenience fee.) The second payment is due in early April.

I'd also like to apply for some additional cards in the new year, in particular the Chase Priority Club so I can use the points for a four night stay in Paris in May. Ultimately I'd also like to get the Citi AA Business and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards, along with perhaps a few of the Hilton cards.

So...

Should I wait a couple weeks and apply for one of the Chase Ink cards in mid-November so I can use it for my December property tax bill?

Or just lay low for a while and apply in early 2013 and only use it to for my second property tax bill in April?

In a perfect world I'd apply sooner rather than later and get started on the $10K spending requirement, but I also don't want to hurt my chances at getting the Chase Priority Club and/or the Chase Sapphire Preferred with enough time before my Paris trip in May.

2. memonrau

memonrau Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm having the same dilemma as you, but i'm looking to get a mortgage in the next couple months, so I think i have to wait but I'm considering applying the same day as getting a preapproval but I suppose that's a different issue. Anyways, I really want to get in on the bird deal with vanilla.

I don't have any advice, but here are my recent credit card approvals, notice the dates:

Chase freedom: 3/15/12
    Chase BA: 7/12/12
    Chase Southwest: 7/31/12 (I had credits expiring so I figured I didnt have anything to lose. I had to call the reconsideration line and spent about 15 min, eventually they approved it after I offered to move some of the credit from the British airways card)
    Barclays NFL: 8/15/12 (First instant approval I've ever gotten)

So this might be the exception to the rule, but I think if you offer a compelling reason and options i.e. moving credit around I think anything is possible especially since it's a business card. If you did the Ink card soon, you could still go after the CSP and priority club in February.

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    memonrau, most banks will do another credit pull when they are about to fund your mortgage, just to see if anything has changed. I suggest that you wait until you get the mortgage funded before making any more applications.

Comenius, First thing you need to do is look at your credit reports and score. See which reporting agencies were used when you made your AOR. Also, you don't say which cards you received. That is another important factor in which cards you can apply for now. Until that information is provided, no one can give you sound advise.

boondr likes this.
  4. memonrau

memonrau Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks deant, i'll just wait until after to apply for the card.

5. Comenius

Comenius Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I guess I didn't provide enough information. :) Here's where I am:

Cards from 9/28
    Citi AA Visa
    Citi AA Amex
    Chase United Visa
    Barclays US Airways MC
    US Bank REI Visa

Credit Scores as of 10/24
    EQ 786
    EXP 780
    TU 793

Hard Inquiries as of 10/24
    EQ 2 (1 from 9/28 AOR)
    EXP 5 (2 from 9/28 AOR)
    TU 1 (1 from 9/28 AOR)

It looks like Citi and Chase used Experian, US Bank used Equifax and Barclays used Transunion. Amex also used Experian when I got the Blue Cash Everyday on 5/19. The rest of the inquiries were from a few applications in 2011.

I'm thinking I might apply for some combination of the following on 11/28, 61 days after my last AOR:

Higher Priority Cards for 11/28
    Amex Hilton (want to take advantage of the 65K bonus offer that ends 11/30)
    Chase Priority Club (want the points for a 4 night stay in Paris in May)
    Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa (want more Priority Club points for Paris trip)

Lower Priority Cards for 11/28
    Chase Ink Bold (already have Ink Cash, so maybe this can wait if I get the CSP?)
    Citi AA Business (not essential right now, but want to get this eventually)
    Citi Hilton Visa x2 (not essential right now, but I have a tentative trip to Tokyo in Fall 2013 where Hilton nights would be helpful)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just as a data point ...
    11th - Approved for Chase Southwest (EX)
    22nd - Approved for Chase Sapphire Prefered (No HardPull)

Next Month
    7th - Approved for Chase Ink Classic (EQ)

Next Month
    18th - Approved for Chase United (EX & TU)

So it is possible to get the Ink so quick ... but YMWV.

7. Comenius

Comenius Active Member

Status Points:
    Were all of these automatically approved, or did you have to call the reconsideration line?

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    SW - Auto
    CSP - Not Auto; called in next day & they said it was approved.
    Ink - Called in (I hear everyone has to call in for a business line though)
    UA - Called in and explained why I wanted UA. I didnt want the SW anymore as I can't fly SW for work... thus I told her that.