Too soon for SPG or Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Aug 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just recently got into the points game (and Milepoint has been an amazing resource for information)! I got the British Airways Visa at the start of June and then the 2 browser trick for the AA Amex and MasterCard at the start of July. This was for me and then the same for my wife.

I also have a Amex Blue Sky and Capitol One Visa Signature from the past and my wife has a Amex Blue Cash from the past (all about 2 years ago).

I fly out of Chicago O'Hare or Midway. I don't travel that often (normally New England around Christmas time). I would like to go to Thailand in 2 years (a post Graduate school celebration)!

I was planning on getting the SPG Amex and Chase Sapphire Preferred in the future because I always read how so many people love them and they are good for day to day spending. It seems that the cards I have currently aren't as good for daily spending? I have seen that I should wait 90 days in-between credit pulls and between applying for the same company. However, it seems that both of these offers right now are going to be gone (maybe the Sapphire) by the time my 90 days comes around in early September (September 10). I want the points but don't want to rush the time between applications.

Do I even have an option to apply early? Will the Sapphire still be good come September? Is 60 days between Amex applications ok? Or do I need to wait the 90 days and just suck it up?

Thanks for your help!

marcwint55 and perryplatypus like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have sent you a message but bottom line is that you should be OK applying for both cards now. The AA AMEX card is issued by Citi and not by AMEX.

3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    90 days is more important if you are churning many cards on a regular basis. You will likely be fine. I would expect that you won't get an auto instant approval with Chase if you pull the trigger in the new future on the Sapphire Preferred. You may very likely still get an approval without going through recon (depending on your overall credit), but just don't be shocked if the approval isn't instant. May take a couple days on it's own, or you could call sooner. Just a guess.

The SPG is increased until Sept 4 and there is no rush on the Sapphire Preferred as far as I am aware.

4. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many of us who wait 90 days or longer have lots (14+ in my case) of inquiries so we need to wait until they fall off. If you only have 2 inquiries in the whole year, you should be fine.

The SPG cards are a good choice for hotel points to use in Thailand, but Thailand also has some of the cheapest hotels in the world. But saving cash is always good.

I wouldn't get the Sapphire Preferred until the new changes have been announced. If you don't get approved immediately, call the reconsideration line to move things along.

5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help everyone!

One other question. I looked this up but I want to confirm that If I close this card before the annual fee is due (like you said on your blog Million Mile Secrets), the points stay in the account for up to one year without any activity. Assuming I do this, I wouldn't be able to re-apply and get the sign up bonus again right? Not enough time would have passed by?

6. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    The points don't expire until you have 1 year of inactivity. You have to wait 12 months from when you cancelled the personal/business card to be eligible for the sign-up bonus again on that personal/business card.

Earning or redeeming Starpoints will reset the expiration date, so you can cancel after 9 months, and apply for the business card which will reset the expiration of your Starpoints by 12 months. And then apply for the personal card once 12 or more months have passed since you cancelled the personal version.

If you don't want to apply for a business card, you can do an Audience Rewards trivia survey, or transfer points from AMEX Membership Rewards or just buy points to reset the expiration date.

7. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are all so smart!

marcwint55, deant and perryplatypus like this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Were are really not that "smart" - we have just been around the block a few times (and have the scars to show for it)!

marcwint55 and edekba like this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    reading a lot also helps

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or you know, actually stay at an SPG hotel ;).

11. Million Mile Secrets

Status Points:
    Or you know, actually stay at an SPG hotel ;)

Yes, but that is such hard work!

marcwint55 and deant like this.
  12. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And costly!

13. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should I have an SPG account before I apply for the card?

marcwint55 likes this.
  14. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So would you all say that I am ok to get the US Airways churnable 40,000 Dividend Miles Mastercard even though I got the Citi AA Mastercard in early July? I figured I would apply for that (US Air) and the SPG on the same day to minimize hard pulls.

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you don't need to have one, but I would recommend going to the site and getting one first. You can also apply for the spg business at the same time and that way you will have 60,000 SPG bonus points after $5,000 spend on each card. With points and cash at SPG that would get you quite a few nights at some of the hotels, or a nice trade for airline miles if needed.

16. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Key to remember is the minimum spend. Make sure you can make all the minimum spends before you sign up for a card. Worst thing in the world is to apply for a card, get the hard pull, receive the card and then not get the bonus because you didn't make the minimum spend.

JohnDeere19 and Mikus33 like this.