Too late to Cancel CHASE One Pass Plus MC? acutally united card now

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by cotter77, May 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    so logging onto chase, shows united logo on my onepassplus mastercard.
    is it too late to cancel? I got a letter in the mail about the change to explorer card but no new card yet.

I want to apply for that explorer card later this year and get my 60k miles!

jwsky likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When did you apply for the onepassplus card? There are reports that if you applied after a certain date, you could not apply for the explorer card and get the sign up bonus.

jwsky likes this.
  3. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    long before that date....maybe 9-12 months before

4. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be very interested in the response to this thread, in an academic sorta way. I got my Onepass before the supposed date; but they went ahead without asking me and changed the label on my account to Explorer , assuming that was cool. However, I never received or activated an Explorer card. And Chase sorta bungled the closing of my account (JP Morgan, 2 billion, ya'know;)) Actually, my plan which I did was to close the Onepass ,and get a Sapphire.:)
    The new United cards have little value for me relative to the yearly fee. So if I ever do apply for a new United card they will have to offer me the incentive, or it just ain't gonna happen.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested in this as well. What's the date y'all are talking about? I think I have had it for nearly two years.

My OnePass MasterCard (now showing as Explorer on Chase account website) has its fee come due on June 1. I like it for the primary car rental insurance coverage, but not sure that's enough, especially if I could cancel, get the Explorer card with bonus and the same insurance feature.

I wonder if, when the card hits it's expiration date, they'll switch the MasterCard to a VISA.

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't recall the exact date but I believe that Chase said that if you signed up for the Continental card after about September that you could not sign up for the United bonus.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? I'm surprised it took so long. My card's logo changed on March 3.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, mine changed around that time, too.

9. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    What "reports" are you talking about here? I hope that if someone trys for the new card they will report here.

10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    jwsky likes this.
  11. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    The reports on TOBB indicate that for those who applied before Oct 2011, even if your CO OnePass Plus converted to MileagePlus Explorer, a new application for the Explorer card yields the sign-up bonus. I will be doing this at some point in the next few months.

jwsky and 2soonold like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It would make sense. After all, I never received any bonus for signing up for the Explorer product.

13. SDFlyer

SDFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Should have no problems getting the UA bonus. Dear wife got the CO OnePass after the reported July date then applied and received the UA Explorer in January. Both bonuses posted and she currently has both active cards. Hope this helps someone out............

jwsky and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.