Too late for two NYC-CDG award seats in April?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by viguera, Jan 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... the wife just dropped a hint that it might be nice to take a trip to Europe this Spring (and I quote) "in one of those nice planes in first class" -- no doubt influenced by seating in front a few times as of late. :)

Now the question is, is it already too late? I have to fire up the KVS Tool when I get home, but I would imagine that the target date would be mid-April at the latest, which is 120 days or so away. We should have enough US miles to make it work, but I guess the only question is whether or not there is availability or if it's even worth trying.

Origin is NYC area, so that leaves me with a lot of options as a starting point, as I'd be willing to trek it even to PHL if it meant finding a good flight.

So I guess the question is, what would be your approach?

* Straight US redemption is showing only "Envoy Medium" awards available, which are 200k miles r/t -- a seat. I think that's more than what I want to spend. :)

* Looking at the partner award travel, seems like it would only cost me 100k US miles a seat to fly Business with anybody else in the alliance, so it would just be a matter of finding the flights?

* Perhaps buy the seats at full fare economy and upgrade with miles (which wouldn't matter if there's no availability) ?

* Bite the bullet and just buy the seats on Envoy and save the miles for another time? :)

I started doing my homework and called US but you know how that works... the guy poked around for a bit but found no award availability, so I think if I'm going that route I'll need to find the specific flights and call them directly to do it -- and hopefully they can see it.

spaced2 likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you're from the NYC area, there should be lots of flights without connections: JFK, EWR, PHL. I would look at US from PHL and partner flights, as well as flights into BRU and other nearby airports. Purchasing business class X 2 will be expensive, although would give lots of status miles. If you upgrade, look for fares below full Y that are upgradeable. You also might do better if you're willing to travel right around Easter, which tends to be unpopular for international and business travel.

viguera likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

I'm going to start looking around tonight with KVS and see if I can find something. Good hint on the Easter bit... I hadn't thought about that (was thinking of 4/12 for the weekend only) so hopefully something will show up.

I was on the phone with the CSR and he looked at a couple of CO options and they were showing 0 availability 4/12 and pointed me towards EWR-ORD-CDG, which is quite a bit longer than I want to stay in a plane for a short trip. :)

4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd never count out the possibility of booking an award. If you don't look into it, you never will know. A bit of flexibility also never hurts.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on where you are in the NYC area, PHL could be easier on the US flight(s) to Europe. Also, Brussels should be less than two hours by train from Paris and can be much better for availability. Depending on where *A got to nonstop, think of other nearby European destinations with fast and easy train service.

Must you go to Paris? How about Barcelona? Munich is beautiful in the spring, etc.

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

We were in Brussels a few years ago as a day trip from AMS and have never been to Paris together, so I think that's the rationale behind the destination.

But I'm going to look at the alternatives. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some nicely configured equipment to Munich instead. :)

7. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be in Paris with my wife, kids, and parents over Easter weekend. We are getting there with AA award flights, but we are flying coach and booked a couple of months ago. If you end up finding availability and traveling that weekend, maybe we can meet up for a drink and talk some miles and points. We are flying out of JFK.

viguera likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without specific dates it is a bit harder to nail down, but there are definitely options available. EWR-WAW-CDG on LO in C is available on 13 APR, for example. Not the best product out there, but it is there.

The search on co.com is pretty good in terms of identifying partners and not needing to worry about building the routing segment-by-segment to start.

LH F is available YUL-MUC on the same day, with a Q400 connection up from EWR.

9. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am in PHL and found best to use alliance partners as US rarely has reasonable award space out of PHL. My colleague employed a different tactic and flew to Charlotte to get to London in Envoy to use his points last minute booking for space. you can then have some days in London and EuroStar to Paris. Or checkout options from Charlotte on US
    If you had BA or OneWorld points I'd look at OpenSkies out of NYC to Paris or alternatively look at their deals anyway as I've found reasonable fares and promos w/BA on this product to Paris.

viguera likes this.