tom911 goes to Madrid and Vienna (AA/LH)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by tom911, Jan 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    WEDNESDAY, January 22 writing from Chicago O'Hare

Three days ago I hadn't planned on being in Chicago. Right now I should be at JFK waiting for boarding for my Madrid flight if I flew my original routing SFO-JFK-Madrid with a departure this morning from SFO. Thought it was a little risky when I looked at the forecast on Monday afternoon when I was in the air and when I landed at SFO Monday night I called and took advantage of a weather waiver and had AA reroute me anywhere but JFK. In this case, the new routing was SFO-Chicago-London-Madrid and my upgrades held on the AA flights all the way to London.

Instead of arriving at 8:30 in the morning I'm scheduled to arrive at 2 in the afternoon on Thursday. Did gain some time back by leaving SFO at 9:30 in the morning instead of 7a.m., so really only about 3 hours extra travel time. Agent wanted to give me a 35 min connection here in Chicago, which would have saved me another 2 hours, but just too risky to have such a short connection on international and have to worry about alternate flights later at night. I opted for 2.5 hours here instead and really only had just over 2 hours as we landed a little late. Lots of bumpy air on this flight.

AA now allows you to order your meals in advance if your upgrade has cleared before the 24 hour mark, so I selected oatmeal this morning for the SFO-Chicago flight. That came with some cut fruit and a muffin. On arrival in Chicago I had just over an hour to visit the Flagship Lounge where I enjoyed some cream of broccoli soup and shrimp. Also got the bad news that my London flight is departing from the L pier which is about as far away as you can get from the lounge to the very last set of AA gates (they have piers G, H, K and L). I've been pretty fortunate in only being sent down to the L pier about once every 2-3 years.

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FRIDAY, January 24

Hello this Friday night from Madrid. It’s just past midnight here and I made it back to my hotel tonight at 10:15pm. Thousands of folks still out shopping and dining along the Gran Via and on the side streets from Plaza del Sol.

I last wrote prior to boarding my London flight in Chicago. That flight was a little bumpy along the way. Probably got 2-3 hours sleep at best. For dinner I had the fillet of beef with foyot sauce and root vegetables and broccolini. Didn’t see one movie I wanted to watch on the airline’s equipment, so broke out the tablet and watched some video of my own. I skipped breakfast (omelette or cereal) after the large dinner. Had one wine which was a very good cabernet shiraz blend from Black Pearl winery in South Africa.

[​IMG]

Made my way from terminal 3 to terminal 5 at London Heathrow and visited the British Airways first class lounge. Just had two glasses of sparkling water though I could have ordered a meal from a menu or selected some items from a buffet line. Only had an hour there as it took some time to transfer terminals by bus and reclear security, plus I wanted to be at the gate early (some of the gates in that terminal take 20 mins to get to). Turns out my gate was steps from the lounge, not what I expected when I left an hour before the flight departure. The gate had not been posted yet and I had stationed myself in front of the departure monitors in the main hall.

At 1040 I was on the Iberia A321 to Madrid. Nothing free on this flight and didn’t purchase any beverages. Landed on time at 2pm (time zone change). I was in the front of coach and had a row to myself (though the back of the plane was packed--must have some type of elite seating to get me at the front of that section).

Made my way to the airport Metro station and it was pretty clear train tickets had changed in price since my last visit. A ticket from the airport into the city is 4.5-5 euros one way ($6-6.75) when I’m pretty sure they were 2 euros ($2.70) last visit. Ended up buying a 3 day pass which includes transit to and from the airport for 18 euros ($24). Sounds expensive but at least $12 of that is just for the airport trains and I probably broke even on the rest as I took at least 8 separate trips over the last two days.

Thursday night I took the train into Plaza del Sol and walked around looking at shops and at large crowds of shoppers. Even at 10pm at night there are thousands of people out on the street (recall they have dinner here late, too). My dinner stop was at a buffet I’ve been to before that featured shrimp, chicken, beef, pizza, paella, spinach lasagna (with cheese that was stellar), a salad bar, olives, and desserts including flan and custard. Only 9 euros ($12) so a very good value. They do a really good job here with sauces and everything tasted great. Had a Spanish beer with dinner.

Fountain at Plaza del Sol:

[​IMG]

I’m at a Holiday Inn here near the stadium used by Real Madrid. Room was purchased on a Christmas sale and with taxes worked out to $52 a night. Get free wi-fi, too. Airfare here was just over $900 but with a discount code and some gift cards that both give 10% off I was able to get the price down to $720. Europe airfare is expensive this winter.

Friday I grabbed some breakfast items at a mall around the corner from the hotel (croissants, yogurt, orange juice) and brought them back to the hotel. Set off by train after to Opera station. Got a little disoriented (jet lagged?) and ended up on the wrong train a couple times. Kept missing the connecting corridor and thought I was boarding the right train, but once on board realized it was not going where I wanted to go and had to reroute. Need to keep a better eye out for the signs as I just missed them as I was walking down long corridors.

From arrival at the Opera station I walked past the Opera House and towards the Royal Palace. There was a carousel there and an ice skating rink. Walked down to the Basilica of San Francisco el Grande, but sadly it was closed. Next up Calle Mayor towards the San Miguel Market market which has vendors inside selling wine, tapas and pastries. It adjoins Plaza Mayor which has a courtyard with outdoor restaurants. Finished with a walk back to Plaza del Sol and back to the hotel for a break.

Royal Palace courtyard:

[​IMG]

carousel:

[​IMG]

Plaza Mayor:

[​IMG]

iolaire, uggboy and MSYgirl like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plaza del Sol:

[​IMG]

Back out again at 6 and started at one end of the Gran Via, the major shopping road through Madrid. Passed Plaza Cibeles which has a distinctive Communications Building occupied by various merchants, and from there down to the Serrano area for some upscale shopping (Prada, anyone?). Stopped in one ornate cathedral along the Goya. Train back to Gran Via and I had a hamburger on a baguette at a sandwich shop. Walked around a bit and visited one department store, then back to the hotel after 10pm.

Communications Building:

[​IMG]

Church of Our Lady of Concepcion on the Goya:

[​IMG]

The rest of the Madrid photos start here:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eur...pain/i-6D6LVLG

Next stop: Vienna, Austria.

uggboy and MSYgirl like this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SUNDAY, January 26

Hello this Sunday night from a snowy Vienna, Austria. Coming up on 2330 here. I checked the weather before leaving Madrid and cold weather and clouds were forecast, but surprise snow came in today instead. Started with some flurries around 1300, and when I went back out for dinner at 1900 it was coming down pretty steadily. I did take a hard fall around 2100 near Parliament when there was a surprise curb under the snow I was walking in but no damage.

Street scene in front of my hotel:

[​IMG]

Back to SATURDAY:

Made my way from the Holiday Inn out to the Madrid airport, included in my three day tourist ticket. Checked in and and was directed to a contract lounge that Lufthansa uses there. Had two tuna sandwiches (the market near my hotel was closed so couldn’t grab something there), as well as bottled water and juice. Wasn’t expecting any type of lounge there so that worked out nicely.

Departed Madrid at 1155 and landed in Munich at 1430. A meal of pasta and chicken was served in coach (I’m on an award ticket using UA miles). A new terminal is being constructed at Munich and we parked on the tarmac and were bused to the older terminal. Didn’t visit long as I got on another bus to my departing Vienna flight at 1500 and we departed at 1530. On the Munich I flight I saw next to two women from the Bay Area on unrelated trips that were flying Lufthansa home from Munich (one from San Ramon that had been driving all around Spain, and the second just completing a trip to Istanbul).

On arrival in Vienna I made my way into the city via the S7 regional train and U-Bahn for 4.20 euros (about $5.50). There is a dedicated airport train that is 11 euros one way ($15) but only saves about 10 minutes travel time. I had just missed the S7 and had to wait 25 mins for the next service.

Arrived at the Holiday Inn to find they had upgraded me to a suite with two rooms. Plenty of space to stretch out and free wi-fi. My rate here is $47 a night, also booked on the Christmas sale (35 euro rate). Those rates were at selected properties through the end of February.

Checked google maps and they said I was 2km or 25 mins walk from St Stephens Cathedral in the old town, so set out on foot at 7pm. Passed by the Sacher Hotel which is known for the Sacher Torte, about 15 mins out, and toured the closed shopping area. Dinner stop was for a sandwich and Pepsi Light at Subway across from the Opera House. Back to the hotel after 2200 and it was -8C/17F. It was COLD! Pilot had told us it was -1C/31F on landing at 1630 (45 min flight) but didn’t realize it was that cold, probably as I kept moving the whole time except for the sandwich stop.

Sacher Tortes at their shop next to Hotel Sacher:

[​IMG]

Shirts in a souvenier shop:

[​IMG]

SUNDAY

Had wanted to do the hotel breakfast but wasn’t up until 0930, so too late for that. It’s a buffet breakfast priced at 15 euros ($20) and I wanted to try it out. Had a granola bar to hold me and was out the door after 1100. First stop was at a Metro station near the Opera House where I purchased a 72 hour transit card for the central part of Vienna for 15 euros ($20). A one day pass was over 7 euros ($9) so the three day pass has some added value compared to individual day passes.

Opera House:

[​IMG]

Hopped on a tram thinking I was going to tour the outer ring area, but this particular tram went in the exact opposite direction and I took a 15 min trip through residential neighborhoods to the end of the line. When it turned back around it did take the outer ring road and I got a good view of Parliament, the Rathaus (Town Hall), winter festival at the Rathaus, Vienna University, and a number of museums. I did get off at a couple of those for photos and reboarded other trams.

uggboy and MSYgirl like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Winter carnival:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toured St Stephens Cathedral from the side aisle. A ticket covering all the features there (center aisle, catacombs, tower, treasury) is 30 euros ($40). There are lesser priced tickets for individual areas. As the interior was not lit up I couldn’t really take any good photos and didn’t pay the extra, I think 5 euros ($7), for the center aisle access. I did light two real candles for those that I know that could use them (compare that to Madrid where one church I went to in the Goya had miniature lights instead of candles--my donation there lit up 10 of them).

Cathedral:

[​IMG]

Lunch stop was at the winter carnival at the Rathaus. I had a macaroni and cheese dish for 7 euros ($9).

Was back at the hotel at 5pm and back out at 7pm. Walked over to a U Bahn station and got a train to the Mitte station where I found a cafe for dinner (right next to a Vapiano, the chain I’ve used in Frankfurt and Munich). Had pasta carbonara and a small salad for 9 euros ($12) and had a beer with that.

U Bahn back to the area around Parliament where I got some night time photos. Also walked over to the Rathaus again, and then back into the city center on snow-covered sidewalks. Arrived at the Opera House and got a train back to my hotel from there (U Bahn stop is 2 blocks from the hotel---about 5 minute walk). Was at the hotel at 2145. Actually a little warmer tonight as it’s -6C/21F. I did add an extra sweatshirt on tonight and was glad I did.

[​IMG]

And one last photo of the lonely Coca Cola bear at the winter carnival in front of the Rathaus at night:

[​IMG]

Photos from Vienna start here:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eur...tria/i-5Lw3K5b

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wednesday night, January 29

Have arrived back in Madrid and encountered very slow upload speeds at my new hotel (on the other hand, they’ve given me a suite). I’ve stopped uploading some of the Vienna photos so I can get this out. I’ll try to upload additional Vienna photos on Thursday (mostly churches and street scenes). After midnight and just can’t wait for the photos to catch up after 5 hours of uploading in the background. Most of this section was written at the Munich Airport and on board my flight from Munich to Madrid.

MONDAY - Vienna

Monday morning I did pay the 15 euros ($20) for the buffet breakfast at the Holiday Inn. Not very crowded with just 2 tables occupied besides mine, but the food on display probably met the minimum standards to be a buffet. There were scrambled eggs and bacon, an assortment of cheeses, rolls and bread, and some cereals as well as a variety of juices. I’d probably do it again for convenience but would not for the limited variety. Some light snow flurries in the morning but otherwise clear all day with a high temperature of -2C/28F.

After breakfast I changed hotels, moving 4 train stations on the U4 line to the Renaissance Hotel. I had two free nights here from a Marriott promotion last year and saved about $100 a night. Rooms here are a little older (think CRT TV-- don’t see those in hotels much), but a very comfortable bed and lounge chair. One big difference here is that the hotel is across the street from the train station. Should note I’m getting my money’s worth off the 72 hour train pass coming and going, let alone trams and trains in the city. Probably the best value of any multi-day pass I’ve bought.

I walked over to Schonbrunn Palace, about 15 minutes away. I had intended to just get a few photos from the front, as I have toured the interior before in 2007 (“no photos”) and wasn’t planning to do that again, but in wandering about noticed I could get into the gardens behind the palace, something I thought was not possible. Hiked up the hill behind the palace to the “Gloriette” which offers impressive views down the hill towards the palace (yes, walked up and down in the snow and survived), as well as distant city center views. Glad I was in hiking boots as the traction was needed both uphill and downhill. I came out a different park entrance near a Metro station about a mile from the palace and stopped there for some hot chocolate and a piece of chocolate cake (been trying to limit my pastries this trip as I can overdose on them in this part of the world-- this one was well deserved after all the walking).

front view of the palace:

[​IMG]

rear view of the palace:

[​IMG]

the "Glorietta" atop the hill behind the palace:

[​IMG]

Spent 3 hours in the city center later in the day, primarily in the shopping district off the Museum Quarter called Mariahilferstrasse, eventually walking back through the Museum Quarter and out by the Rathaus (town hall) where the winter carnival was taking place. Had stopped in the hotel bar for a complimentary glass of white wine before heading out, and then ordered a beer after that. Some bar snacks were served (cheese, olives, a roll, and cucumber slices with what I thought was applesauce but could have been a firey hot horse radish instead--reminded me of my first time with wasabe in Japan). One sure where to clear out any congestion!

TUESDAY

Tuesday I started with the Renaissance hotel breakfast buffet which was quite substantial-- lots of fruit, breads/rolls, cheeses, sliced meats, scrambled eggs, sauasage, bacon, tomatoes….you get the point. This was served in a huge banquet room. All included for free due to my Marriott status, about the only benefit my million miles on United gives me these days (I’m not flying them at all). I do not have enough paid stays to accrue Marriott Gold status, so the comped status from United makes a big difference and comes with breakfast and wi-fi.

[​IMG]

Headed out to the city center just to explore. Half the time I didn’t really know where I was until I spotted a train station (big “U” for U Bahn signs), or a major street. Did one tram ride when I thought I had got too far out. Visited three different churches along the way run by different Catholic orders (Franciscans, Dominicans and Salvatorians). Admired $10,000 watches in shop windows and went in and looked at clothing at others (a Gant winter vest that I liked was 200 euros on sale -- $270). The fur covered hats that I saw many men wearing cost that or more. Lots of people here spectacularly dressed, particularly in the evening when men are in formal wear and women in gowns, no doubt heading to or from a function.

Dinner Tuesday night was at Noordsea, not far from St Stephens Cathedral, where I had fillet of sole and baby potatoes for 9 euros ($12) washed down with an Austrian beer. This is a chain you see all over Europe speciailzing in fish. I did visit the hotel steam room and sauna on return which was included in my rate.

WEDNESDAY

Wednesday morning I watched the first 15 mins or so of the State of the Union being reaired, then down for breakfast. Today the omelette station was open and there were 4 times as many guests as the day before (maybe because I was down at 8 instead of 9). Checked out of the hotel at 0830 and made my way across town to the S7 train at Mitte station where I had a 20 minute wait for the 0915 train (runs every 30 mins). Paid the 2.10 euro charge for extending into a zone past the inner city, otherwise my 72 hour pass covered the city portion. Was at the airport at 0945, checked in, cleared security, and in the Austrian Airlines lounge with a Diet Coke and sparking water just before 10. Only had a 40 min stay, though, as we boarded for Munich at 1050 and I needed time to get to the gate.

Arrived at the Munich Airport at about 1230 (had to be deiced in Vienna as it was snowing), and were bused to the terminal. Flight was on an Embraer E90/95 which I believe is a model AA has on order with 75 seats (4 seats across with a center aisle separating them). My departure gate was quite a distance from any of the Lufthansa lounges, so elected to go to the gate and work on my trip report there. Was there at 1300. Boarding was at 1400 for a 1430 departure. Airport provides 30 mins of free wifi and I worked off-line the rest of the time.

Now, back to my fall in Vienna on Sunday night in the snow. Although I survived unscathed, my Panasonic camera and my solid black Columbia winter parka cannot say the same. The camera took the brunt of the fall as it was in my right jacket pocket, and it has the scars to prove it. The zoom will no longer “zoom out” although I can zoom in. Not convenient when you want to go back and forth between the two as I have to turn the camera off to reset. I've had this camera since just before the 2008 Olympics. Plan on replacing it now.

The jacket, which I bought at a Columbia outlet store in Woodburn, Oregon, about 5 years ago, has a couple puncture wounds in the right pocket but might still be usable. I have a new witnter parka, in a different color, blue and white, that I picked up in their outlet store in Livermore a few months ago as a backup (they’re about ⅔ off if you hit the outlet store at the right time). Might be the incentive I need to go back and pick up the red and gray one I saw two weeks ago.

Tonight I’m at a different Holiday Inn than last week due to pricing. This one is about $85 a night (no winter deals here unless I wanted to be really far out of town). This is the most I’ve spent for a hotel this trip. I do get free wi-fi with my elite status with Holiday Inn so some benefit of being there, I won’t stay at a hotel without free wi-fi these days.

That's it for this Wednesday night. New Vienna photos that I have been able to upload start here:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Europe/Austria/2014-Vienna-Austria/i-sFsPRbW

[​IMG]

MSYgirl and iolaire like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice photos Tom two of my favorite European cities.

Did you try any of those 18" pretzels the vendors have at the entrance to Schonbrunn.:)?

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They must hide out in the winter, at least if they're in the plaza out front. No sign of them.

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well maybe it was too cold but certainly wouldn't have missed them ... here is one vendor.

Attached Files:

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friday. January 31, arrived home

Today was a challenging day to find internet access. while in transit, for uploading photos. My hotel's upload speed was useless, so only got a few photos up on Thursday night and gave up. Had 45 mins at the Madrid Airport this morning, but that was just not enough time to upload photos, sort them, and match them up with a trip report with the right links (I had already typed up notes). Arrived at JFK and due to strong headwinds across the Atlantic and a late arrival, no lounge time, and a plane without wi-fi (AA 767-300), so I'm ending up uploading the final piece from home. Not my game plan when Friday started in Madrid 24 hours ago, but just how it ended up.

So, here we go....

back to WEDNESDAY night

Arrived at the Holiday Inn Piramides around 1830 and was upgraded to a first floor suite (that would be considered the second floor in the U.S.). Nice cocktail table in the living room, but otherwise a pretty plain living room and bedroom. Popped out very quickly for a hamburger up at the Opera station, but otherwise spent the night in catching up on things. Was due for some down time. There was loud noise from the lobby/bar down below but those folks seemed to have to bed about the same time I went to bed and I slept just fine.

my living room:
    [​IMG]

THURSDAY

Had a surprise e-mail the day before from Swen, a Lufthansa pilot I met at World Swimming Championships in Barcelona in 2003. We’ve caught up a few times since in Frankfurt and Berlin, and as luck would have it he arranged to fly the last flight of the prior day from Frankfurt to Madrid, arriving after 2300 Wednesday night. We met at a Starbucks near his hotel late Thursday morning for over 2 hours catching up on the world of travel and flying and talking about AA and Lufthansa aircraft. He, like me, has traveled all over the place, including Australia. Nice to catch up. Grabbed two tuna sandwiches at the adjoining department store just before heading off.

After my visit, off to the Serrano neighborhood. First stop was at Plaza de Colon (Columbus Square) where a huge Spanish flag waves. Enjoyed my sandwiches on a park bench there.

[​IMG]

From there off to my favorite travel store in Madrid on Calle Serrano, and then down to Plaza Independence with its arch, and Park Retiro for a walk through.

[​IMG]

Came out at the Prado Museum, the most famous museum in Madrid that I have toured before, and grabbed the Metro a little further down near the Atocha train station.

[​IMG]

Nearby were both the Palace Hotel and the Ritz.

[​IMG]

Dinner Thursday night was at Topolinos, the buffet I’ve become fond of, with chicken, pork and fish tonight. Had a decent salad with cole slaw, tomatoes and corn. With a medium beer (probably a good liter) and a bottle of water, I was out the door for 15 euros ($20). One stop at a department store for some items and then back to the hotel just before 2200.

Couldn’t ask for better weather--bright sunshine and high around 11C (52F)-- which is just perfect for walking about. Very different than the -2C/28F high the last two days in Vienna. Have to admit I miss that place now that I’m not there.

FRIDAY

Was up at 0650 and out the door at 0715. Took 50 mins and two train transfers to get out to the airport by Metro. Wasn’t sure my three day ticket would cover the suburban trains, which take about 30 mins with less stops on different tracks (have done that before with a one way ticket), so just allowed a few minutes more and took Metro. I was the second person in line for business class check-in at the AA counter and made my way to the Iberia lounge in the satellite terminal via train.

To my surprise, I was greeted at the front counter by John from Sydney, a regular staple at an annual frequent flyer event every Memorial Day weekend at various Australia destinations (coming up: Ayers Rock and Alice Springs-- I’m already booked). He had just arrived on the aircraft that is taking me to JFK. Only had about 45 minutes to visit and uploaded some photos in the background while meeting with him and having an omelette, salmon and orange juice. Wish I had more time but boarding was called.

Flight time from Madrid to JFK was 9.5 hours. This was a little longer than I expected and the pilot explained we would be battling some strong headwinds across the Atlantic on this trip.

MSYgirl likes this.
  11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For lunch I preselected fillet of beef which came with potato gnocchi and vegetables(other options were scallops, chicken or vegetable lasagna). Had a Diet Coke with it and a Baileys after, and later in the flight a Spanish white wine (Tres Olimos Lias Verdejo, Rueda). There were actually empty seats in the smaller 16 seat business class cabin on this 757. I originally had someone next to me but he relocated to a section with two empty seats to himself (giving me two to myself). Slept about 2-3 hours after dinner and one movie (Parkland). When I got back up just watched some TV programs on my tablet and worked on my report. Just a perfect flight. I passed on the prearrival snack (pizza or cold Tandoori chicken plate) due to the expect meal on the transcon.

[​IMG]

By the time I rechecked my bag, cleared customs and got through security, the gate for my SFO flight was already empty and they were boarding stragglers (me). I had about 15 mins before the doors were closed so still had a margin of comfort. Flight time was 6 hours and I preselected the pumpkin seed coated chicken which I have enjoyed already this month.

Sidenote: finally got the rest of the Vienna photos uploaded. Here's the interior of a Franciscan church from the 1600's:

[​IMG]

And a new friend I found along the way:

[​IMG]

Links to the newest photos from this section:

Vienna
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eur...tria/i-9rLVMsm

Madrid
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eur...pain/i-6k2rsxD

AA meals
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/American-A...rier/i-9K2dKcq

That's all for this trip.

12. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You seem to maximize on loyalty programs and minimize cash (much like I do), so I really enjoy reading your narratives. The pictures are beautiful, but I'm sorry to hear about the trauma to your camera and jacket. Thank you for sharing your trip details.

13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to miss the camera. It has an 18X optical zoom and the replacement model now has a 30X optical, at about the same price I paid 6 years ago.