tom911 goes to Atlanta

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by tom911, Nov 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew in here Friday afternoon on an AA award ticket and I'm scheduled to fly back home just before 5p.m. Monday. Am going to try and standby on earlier flights but even those are pretty full. I should have access to a US Airways lounge if I get stuck at the Atlanta Airport for a while.

I hotel hopped this trip, staying at three different Hyatts, all new to me. On a previous stay here I used a Hyatt Place which is across the street from the Grand Hyatt Buckhead that I stayed in Friday, as well as a Hyatt Place on Peachtree downtown which is not far from the Hyatt Regency downtown.

The hotel photos are in this gallery (first three hotels):
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Hotels/Hyatt-Hotels

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Friday evening I had a BBQ plate at a local place near the hotel for $14:

[​IMG]

violist, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Saturday, after changing hotels and leaving a bag, I explored Centennial Olympic Park, the grounds outside the World of Coca-Cola, and had lunch at CNN.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took a train out to Buckhead to check some shops and had some turkey chili (very good) and half a turkey panini while out there at Panera Bread.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sunday I changed hotels again and was able to check-in at noon. Headed right over to the World of Coca-Cola and took all sorts of photos. They had a theatre showing Coke commercials from around the world going back to the 70s. I also saw the vault where the "secret formula" to Coke is now stored and sampled Coke products from around the world (I liked Barq's red creme soda that was new to me).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting trip home. Arrived at ATL and got on the standby list for the 1210 departure that was pushed back to 1400 (first flight of the day from OKC had to be deiced and they never caught up from that). I was booked on the 1640 flight. Was #1 on a list of 20 and cleared at the gate. Arrived at DFW and got on the waitlist for the 1725 Sacramento flight, again #1, this time on a list of 7. Cleared it, too, at the gate, getting me home four hours earlier that original flights....or so you would think.

Worked our way across the tarmac at DFW for a take-off slot, and just about as we arrived an announcement was made that one passenger on board was not bound for Sacramento and we would have to return to the gate for her to deplane. Back to the gate we went, and the we also had to top up the fuel tanks for what we had burned off. Ended up with about a 45 min delay around this episode. There had been some gate changes before departure---the Sacramento flight itself had changed from C15 to C28 and I made the trek between those two, and surely there was probably something from C28 that had moved somewhere else and one passenger was oblivious to that.

Anyway, I'm back in coach in an aisle seat enjoying my comped Sams Adams and Pringles. About 3 hours to landing.

sfo1 and uggboy like this.