tom911 enjoys Cathay Pacific 747 First Class HKG-SFO

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by tom911, Apr 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrived at the Hong Kong Airport after the 50 minute ride out on the wi-fi equipped A21 bus from Nathan Road in Kowloon. Had some light rain along the way, the first time it rained this trip. Pain-free check-in at Cathay First Class counters where I was the only passenger in line and was sent on my way in about 3 minutes.

After looking around some of the shops, made my way to the ground level entrance to the Cathay Wing lounge. They're still doing remodeling here and the restaurant I'm used to visiting on the upper level was closed. Not really a problem, though, as I had access to the Noodle Bar where I ordered some pork buns and a dish that I can't recall the name of (some type of wrapped meat and veggies), and then walked over to the adjoining self serve island for dim sum, noodles, cream soda and a bottle of water.

Next, off to the first class section where I took a seat in one of the cubicles to work on e-mail and photos. Had two "orange magics" to start the trip home containing vodka, orange juice and cranberry juice. Later on I moved over to more comfortable seating with a table and changed to Diet Coke and ice cream.

[​IMG]

Went down to the gate an hour before boarding to stretch my legs and a final look through the shopping area. That's my 747 on the left front.

[​IMG]

Boarded as scheduled for the 2pm departure and took my seat in 1A.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was served some Krug champagne and later in the flight has an Australian shiraz and Cathay signature cocktail.

LUNCH

Caviar and Balik salmon "Tsar Nicolaj"

Cream of chicken soup

Mixed salad with balsamic vinagrette

Choice of: Grilled U.S. striploin with herbed butter, roasted portabello mushroom and vine ripened tomato

or

Pan-fried guinea fowl breast with with red wine sauce, sauteed creamy mixed mushrooms, green beans, capiscum and pumpkin

or

Green peas and mint agnolotti with roasted capsicum and carmelised pearl onions

There was also a "Chinese Favourites" menu available.

[​IMG]

Yes, tasted just as good as it looks and I couldn't finish it.

Cheese and Dessert

Cambozola, Comte, Double Gloucester, Chaumes

Fresh berries with cream

Chocolate bread and butter pudding with vanilla ice cream and raspberry sauce

Double boiled fresh pear with Chinese almond sweet soup

For breakfast the choice were dim sum or eggs. I had scrambled eggs with grilled breakfast steak, chicken sausage, home fried potatoes, shimeji mushrooms and asparagus. I did not take any breakfast photos.

Watched the newest Mission Impossible Movie and J Edgar. Tried to watch Hugo but gave up after about 10 mins. Slept a good portion of the 12 hour flight. Took about an hour to get through passport control as we arrived behind a Korean Air flight.

Flight photos are here:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/AirlinesI...First/22444325_TbPbB4#!i=1794344216&k=gBGsvgW

2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that seat 1A on that particular flight belongs to peeps from this and TOBB as we seem to be constantly occupying it. I've sat in it a couple of times myself.

Sounds like you had a great trip. Where is your next one?

Kalboz likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm off to Ireland the first 10 days of May (SFO-ORD-DUB), booked on a $750 AA fare which I didn't expect to see this late in the year. Plan is to get up to the Titanic Museum in Belfast by train or bus and start from there. Systemwides cleared at booking. In June I have a planned two-week road trip to Olympic Trials in Omaha, and then the Olympics in London in July with the Coughlins to see Natalie swim. Been staying pretty busy this year.

4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You see, your home town actually is even flyover country for you! How much of a "downgrade" is the closed CX F lounge with the temporary replacement? And what did you think about the new SFO CX lounge (if you visited it)?

Kalboz likes this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was the trip I started off with SFO-FRA on Lufthansa, so haven't visited the new CX SFO lounge yet. When I was through in August on the Shanghai trip they were still using the BA lounge. Most of my international trips are still to Europe so not a lot of frequency westward.

The restaurant in the F lounge at HKG has a much wider selection of food items as well as chocolates and desserts. If you look at THIS GALLERY from last year you'll get an idea of the variety. You also don't get the private library, which you'll also see in that gallery, which is a place to hide out if you need quiet time.

I could have hiked down to The Pier and had the restaurant service, but as I was expecting a decent meal once on board the aircraft wasn't willing to make the trek down. Now, if I was in coach, I might have gone down there.

Kalboz and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long (approximately) is the trek?

Kalboz likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the other lounge is down in the 60-gate range compared to the Wing being next to 1-4. Maybe 10-15 minutes? I've only had a flight from that area once and didn't use the lounge there.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    tom911, let's exchange!
    I will retire for 7 years now, and you'd work for seven years... then we'll switch again. Good deal? ;-)

Toula likes this.
  9. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a 2A fan.. :)

10. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bob Dole likes this title. Bob Dole

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry but I served my time--32 years with two Bay Area police department comm centers. I worked hard for this retirement :D

12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another great trip report - thanks for putting all the time and effort into your write-ups. Just one thing- you need Global Entry! I was in pain when I read the end of your report that it took an hour to get through passport control.

Oh, and fantastic pictures too!

tom911 likes this.
  13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually I'm through in just a few mins so this trip was really the exception. If we had arrived 10 mins sooner we would have beat the Korean Air passengers to the gate. I just can't bring myself to pay the government for expedited entry.

14. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well done, Tom! I'd love to get on the pointy end of a CX flight again... :)

perryplatypus and tom911 like this.
  15. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but the great equalizer is baggage - I have GE and then I usually wait at least 30 minutes for luggage (WITH priority tags) - nevertheless I HATE lines so I paid (before I could have gotten the fee refunded from an elite program).

perryplatypus likes this.
  16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know it's at the opposite end of the other country, but I found the Titanic part of the heritage museum in Cobh (the last stop before iceberg) interesting, too. I've been to both.

aptraveler, tom911 and perryplatypus like this.
  17. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I second these opinions, well done again. Have fun in Ireland and do keep us posted, will you? :)

18. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might do that next year as I pretty much make it to Ireland every year--a little out of the way for this trip. I've been to Belfast twice before but it's been on trips starting in Scotland and coming over by train/ferry from Stranraer, and probably a good 10 years since my last trip through there down to Dublin.

ducster and desamo like this.