Tolerable value from DL SM for once in history

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Jun 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Needed to take Shark Jr from SEA to PHX via SFO at the back end of the monolithic RTW itin involving RGN. Visits to St. Helens, the lava tubes and the Monterey Bay Aquarium were called for. MsShark had to return to the salt mines to pay for Shark Jr's fun....

I was contemplating purchasing these tix, but the costs were very high and the RDMs earned would be minimal on these short sectors.

We were able to use DL SM the week prior to book a circle trip at 37.5k each in Y.

It's not that we couldn't use UA MP to concoct similar itins - more of them, in fact, at less than the same total cost (12.5k each from SEA to SFO, but 10k each from SFO to PHX because that's a domestic one-way of less than 700 flown miles and qualifies for UA's most economical award).

However, the option value of the UA MP miles for international travel is so hugely greater, that it was worth burning 37.5k SM each on this itin to avoid using 35k MP miles each. This plan saved quite a few $$$ over paid tix, we received one free checked bag each, and our BPs stated NO FF CREDIT. We also managed to move into EC at T-24 as some lucky Medallions received UG from their usual chairs. So on this occasion, DL actually delivered the stated Medallion benefits - something it often fails to do for more costly int'l itins especially involving partner airlines.

If this was all I ever needed/wanted from an FFP, I suppose SM might be more tolerable, although even in this case, there were numerous out-of-range SM costings for same-day itins ranging from 52.5k to 100k each for Y in classic Jeff bandit style.

The actual paid TPAC DL BE sectors will credit to AS, so that we can actually use them - for J on EK! A better option than anything DL SM can offer. The DL agent at NRT asked me why do this, when I had Medallion status. I responded by stating politely that SM were almost worthless for international itins and that the frustation levels were so much lower with UA MP.

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this really redtail? A positive slant toward DL and no stars? I think you might be an imposter!

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    All those free Woodfords clouded his judgment.

Actually, there are a lot of good redemption deals with sky miles if you book last minute. (one week out, like the Crimson Caudal Appendage just did).

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    An account has been hacked.

DiverDave likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:

Now now, muchachos, let's not get carried away... first, there weren't any Woodfords (free or not) @ either NRT SC last week - see the biAtching here and at FT on this subject. BTW I don't claim that UA UC are > DL SC, far from it. But facilities like NH's Suites lounge annihilates any DL SC. And it's an utter insult to SC customers to remove one of the very few DL amenities that actually is best in class - with no stars.

Second, no way I could have engineered the trip using DL SM. Eighteen sectors and three continents in a Y/J mix, for 50k MP miles....no way. So DL SM utility is circumscribed very heavily - as an adjunct for rare redemptions of this type, the program has uses, but as a primary accumulating reserve for serious international travelers, it's a waste of time. Collateral from crediting these flights and others - the TPE F misfile including EK sectors - to AS is surprising: I might even make AS MVP as a result of this banditry which would negate the need to even use my DL # on the res to obtain bag fee waivers...anyway, my point being, the utility of SM is not zero but close to it. This was one occasion when it rose above its normal bottom-feeding level.

Third, I may possess what you term "caudal appendages" but surely a more accurate anatomical descriptor would be "dorsal appendages."

MJonTravel and Gargoyle like this.