Tokyo

Discussion in 'Asia' started by nick.bremmer, Nov 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nick.bremmer

nick.bremmer New Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking of going to Tokyo any advice on what to see, do and stay. I have no idea. I am thinking of 500 US$ per a night per a room. I am thinking of eating at local bars.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking with that plan and budget you are going to have a great time!

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you speak the language? If not that will make local dining MUCH more difficult.

Beyond that, what are your parameters for a hotel? This seems like a great conversation to have with a travel agent who knows the city and who can help tailor a plan to your needs.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. GirtSmith

GirtSmith New Member

Status Points:
    I found The Mandarin Oriental to be the best such great service

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where about in Tokyo do you want to go? You need to give some more information on what it is you are going for,and how long, then could provide more answers.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint.
    We have stayed at the Park Hyatt twice now and both times it was a fantastic experience. If you plan on using trains to go to other parts of Japan, check into buying the Japan Rail Pass before you go there, as it is much cheaper to get a special that is only offered outside of Japan. There are so many things to do and see there, that it really depends on your interests. We enjoyed the fish market and even got up at 2:30 in the morning to be certain to see the tuna auction.
    The Roppongi district was quite nice. We enjoyed checking out the people dressed up in the Harajuku region. Ginza is fantastic for shopping. The Sky Tree and the Tokyo tower were both enjoyable. I would avoid the red on and off buses, as they were really not very good.
    Don't miss out eating at one of the local Curry houses. They are reasonable and the food is very good. I don't remember the names of any that we ate at, but there are lots of them all over the place. The noodle restaurants were also quite good and very reasonable priced. Sushi Dai or Daiwa Sushi are both good places to eat sushi for breakfast if you go to the fish market in the morning. Many of the top rated sushi bars are very small and you need to reserve months in advance.