Tokyo Intercontinentals

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by wanderwoman, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure this has been discussed but couldn't find any evidence when I did a search so will take a chance and ask: Which Tokyo IC do you believe is the best? Staying two nights and our priorities would be the executive lounge and location for walking to sites/shopping. I'm sure we can figure out the transportation to/from Narita so that is not high priority. Using free nights certs and all are available for our dates.

2. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This site is still a little more than 1 month old so there's still not much in terms of content. So here're some threads from FlyerTalk that provide 2-3 years of comments from people who visited the hotels:
    ANA tokyo or The Strings IC
    IC ANA Tokyo and IC Tokyo Bay

wanderwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Strings doesn't have a lounge, so if that's important to you (it always is to me!) you can scratch that from your list.

I've only ever stayed at the ANA Tokyo. Excellent, huge lounge. Real champagne on offer. Round the corner from a metro stop. We found a lot is walkable from its location too.

4. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh my gosh; I booked the Strings but I am able to cancel up until 6pm so will change over to the ANA, lounge is important. Thank you.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    No lounge but you do get pretty much free use of the main lounge for a couple of drinks and hors d'oeuvres in the evening and full breakfast in the restaurant in the morning. IIRC Comp in-room minibar too even if you're not an RA. But I find it a toss up between the two as they're both at the top of the class. Never done the IC by the bay, but also liked the one in Yokohama. String's best feature is being on the main JR line with direct trains to/from NRT, and easy connections at JR Central for other NRT trains. If you know your way around the Tokyo subway system, ANA IC is easy enough to get to/from (there's a nice long underground walkway if the weather's bad with just a half-block on the surface to/from the hotel. Not a bad walk down to Rippongi and if you have the stamina, to Shibuya!

dinasaur and wanderwoman like this.
  6. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was suppose to be at The Strings tommorrow night, but CXed my trip over

When I was trying to decide which IC myself I went with The Strings since the room size seemed to bigger then the other ICs, so if room size is important that should guide a person to The Strings

Wish there was 1 Hotel with the larger rooms and a lounge, so that there wouldnt have to be any trade off

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always received a pretty large room at the ANA. Rooms tend to be wider than they are deep, if that makes sense. Mine have had a seating area with desk and TV on one side of the entry, then a sleeping area with bed, armoire and TV on the other, plus a huge bathroom with separate walk in shower room, huge soaking tub and separate toilet room! Seems to be my standard RA upgrade from a basic room, and includes Club access.

8. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    as an RA but Im not an RA and was simply going on the size of the standard room that was being offered when using pts for the stay just a reg Classic non-smoking. thanks for the info

but for now its moot as I was booked for The Strings for tonight and right now Im sitting in NY and dont know if I will make it to Tokyo anytime soon It was a MR no sense in going and being a burden to their resources when they are having problems with them if I dont need to be there

9. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer IC Tokyo Bay. Not as convenient as ANA, not tried Strings, but always had a magnificent bay view and lounge access as a RA.

10. gretbazela

gretbazela Active Member

Status Points:
    Interested in finding out about RA upgrades and benefits at Intercontinental Tokyo Ana. Staying for 5 nights in April and debating on using points, bogo etc. traveling with 8 year old so hoping for larger room. Any advice or experiences?

11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They don't offer anything extra on points, in my experience. The Japanese ICs are all pretty by the book in that regard. I've booked here a mix of points and paid nights, and we wee in a regular, non-upgraded room for the points portion. On paid stays I've always been upgraded to a Junior Suite but I don't believe I booked the cheapest room (though honestly can't recall).

As RA you will get club access, which is a great space, though it can get really crowded.

BOGO will be treated just like a paid stay.

12. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wanted to bump this thread for a couple of reasons:

* As a heads up, as posted on TOBB, both the ANA Tokyo and the Strings have notified regular staying RAs that as of August 1, both properties are no longer going to offer club access to RAs :mad:

* I also wanted to see whether anyone could provide more feedback on the Tokyo Bay IC. In light of the above news, and also due to it being markedly cheaper when I'm planning on being there, I am considering staying at the Tokyo Bay IC for the first time. Can anyone provide more feedback on the property? How is the club and its offerings?

sobore likes this.
  13. gretbazela

gretbazela Active Member

Status Points:
    If at all possible I would try for a status match to Hyatt diamond and stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo. It's incredible and the free breakfast beats the IC Club any day!

14. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LOL...thanks. I am actually Hyatt Diamond as well. ;) I know all about the PHT...but I am interested in feedback about the Tokyo Bay IC. Have you stayed there before?