Tokyo for 12 hours

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Efilon87, Jan 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In February I will be going to China with a 12 layover in Tokyo. I land in HND and leave from NRT. Any suggestions on what to do for my 12 hour layover. I know that I have to transfer airports and deal with security and customs, which really only leaves me about 9 hours, but that should be enough time to be a tourist a little bit. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

2. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's on a Sunday go to Yoyogi Park, it's a blast. Street performers, bands, Japanese impersonating American artist, rappers, Madonna, Tina Turner, Elvis Presley, etc.

The Tokyo electronics district is cool. You can play with all of the latest gadgets for free. There are several stores there. It's more exciting than it sounds.

sobore likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the carrier transfer your luggage...or do you have to do that?

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen some of this on a travel show. Some of these guys are pretty darn good!

5. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, I land at 5:30am on Monday. Anything to do on a monday? I have heard good things about the Shinshoji Temple near NRT. Anything near HND?

That, I dont know. But I dont think I will be checking a bag, so that shouldnt be an issue. Though I did some reading about transferring airports and some of the posts say that you have to pick up your luggage and bring it to the next airport.

6. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    With transit in NRT, after exiting customs head straight downstairs and book the Keisei Skyliner (fastest option)
    http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/
    Return transfers to NRT downtown will hit you up around 6,000/7,000Y. What are you specifically interested in seeing? I just moved from Tokyo to Nagoya.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you will have to take your baggage with you. That is going to make doing anything whilst in transit rather annoying, depending on how much baggage you have. Even just a small rollaboard will be annoying in that scenario. The temple in Narita town is quite lovely. I hit that up a couple trips ago on my way to the airport. And based on your schedule it is probably the easiest thing to visit.

I'd take the bus from HND to NRT upon arrival and after you clear immigration. It is about JPY3000. There isn't really much to see around HND so no huge loss there. Once at NRT deposit your bags with the onward carrier or in a left luggage facility and then hop on the local train to Narita town. Have a lunch (dumplings at the place just to the right of the station in the center of the Y of the road were quite good), wander out to the temple (an easy walk or there are other ways to get there) and then head back to the airport and go.

Without any baggage there are certainly things to do in Tokyo proper that would be fun, but I wouldn't want to do them with bags.

And with the couple hours on the bus for the transfer the 9 hours will likely pass pretty quickly.

8. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be pretty chilly in February, but the Naritasan temple complex is extremely rewarding. It always amazes me how many (hundreds of thousands? millions?) pax transit through NRT with a long-enough layover unaware of this national treasure just 10 min. away.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the thing, I don't know what there is to see. All I know is the temple near NRT, and that's it. Is it worth going into Tokyo for the layover that I have? Where does the skyliner take you that is worth visiting? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time to Japan, and it just so happens its only a layover. Thanks!!

10. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you didn't have any bags and could do it during the transit then I'd say yes. I wouldn't go all the way out to NRT and then come back into town.

There are a couple stops in the downtown area; it is just the train into town from NRT.