Token of Appreciation

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FetePerfection, May 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, without jinxing myself, I received an email from an Air France Purser who found my missing iPhone. She has secured the phone and left specific instructions on how and when to pick it up when I fly back to CDG this week. Given that she saved me about $$450+ not to mention the hassle of recreating my contacts, I would like to give her a token of my appreciation. I asked for and received her mailing address. What would you give? My thought is 50€ in a thank you card but is that too generous, too stingy, too impersonal? Does anyone have other suggestions? TIA

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the welcome news. :cool:
    Your idea to thank the purser sounds good to me.

Flyer1976, uggboy, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I think that is entirely appropriate. I have returned phones and purses and wallets and all manner of belongings left on the train over my years and been offered assorted compensation, but always politely declined. For me personally, the joy of reuniting someone with a lost belonging, especially one as important as a phone or a purse, is worth it. I always ask that they instead of remunerating me, they write to Amtrak and tell them how helpful I was, as that in my file goes a lot farther than $50.

It sounds from your brief post like this person spent quite a bit of their time on it so I think your idea and the amount is lovely, just providing an alternate view. I hope it is returned to you as promised. :)

IDGflygirl, Gargoyle, iolaire and 5 others like this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear that your phone has been found!
    I think your idea of a reward and @timfrost suggestion to write in a note both makes sense so why not do both.
    As for the amount, I think it is irrelevant
    I know if I am the purser, even a $10.00 coffee gift card and a note telling me your gratitude and to have a coffee on you would have made me felt good.
    I would have been just doing my job but it is great to be appreciated.
    The icing on the cake would be the part where you describe in your note that you have also written into corporate HQ about my efforts. :)

IDGflygirl, Flyer1976, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, very generous and very appropriate.

uggboy, blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  6. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Talk about going above and beyond, she added she took the phone with her to China and back all the time trying to figure the best way to get it to me rather than simply turning in to AF Lost & Found so I agree a thank you w 50 euro AND a letter to her boss is warranted. Thanks for your help...now fingers crossed it 's where she left it.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully she didn't violate any corporate policy by keeping the phone to return it to you instead of turning it into Lost and Found. Would suck if she got in trouble for doing the good deed.

blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  8. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    If that is the corporate policy it's a terrible policy. I agree with you that it would be terrible to have someone disciplined for doing a good deed, but a bad situation that ends up with a happy customer and a disciplined employee leads to the employee not giving a crap the next time.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your post made me think about last Saturday's flight from DEN-DTW. One of the passengers in F had left her cellphone on the seat as we all started to deplane so I grabbed it and hustled after her in the terminal. She kept thanking me and saw my company lanyard and said that she would write to the airline to thank me. I said it was no big deal really because I hope that if it happened to me that someone would do the same thing that I did. :)

However in your case... Please do write Air France and let them know that they have an outstanding purser for going out of their way to ensure that the customer enjoyed their travel experience on AF. Letters from customers going into our files makes our day go *squee*. :D

gregm and WilliamQ like this.
  10. FetePerfection
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Saga Update! I landed at CDG this afternoon and went directly to lost luggage with very high hopes only to learn that without a case number they couldn't help me. :oops: I was able to show the gentlemen the email from the purser and after several phone calls he located my phone in the red Delta amenities kit I usually keep for my headphones. Anyway, happy ending! And yes I am definitely going to write to Air France a letter of appreciation for not only the Purser but also the kind gentlemen in lost luggage because he too persevered and reunited me with my phone. It feels good to be connected again. ;)
    Thanks for all your feedback!

wrxmom, IDGflygirl, gregm and 4 others like this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yay!

blackjack-21 likes this.
  12. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yay in spades, it counts double !

13. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points: