Today, the dream of Francisco Lorenzo became reality.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HeathrowGuy, Nov 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although we are all sad to see Continental make its final flight today, its departure coincides the arrival of a dream realized, first articulated by that of visionary former Continental CEO Francisco Lorenzo.

The visionary Lorenzo dreamed that one day our skies would be graced by a world's leading airline with a top-rate domestic and global network, carrying passengers in a modern, comfortable fleet, with the finest employees in the airline business, and possessing a sustainable cost structure now and into the future. Although he was unable to fully realize his dream during his tenure as the head of Continental, he nonetheless put the building blocks in place that live on today in the heart and soul of the new United.

cordray2643 and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Frank Lorenzo was and still is the biggest a$$ hole that ever lived. He built his dream on others backs moving Continental to Houston after stealing the pension fund and promising lots of people jobs with the new Texas Air (Continental) if they joined his team. Firing them all after picking their brains and leaving them with mortgages in a new city after about 6 months of employment. I also salute Lorenzo with --- my middle finger!!! A lot of people suffered because of this pri-k and many lost everything they had so he could line his pockets.

He's smiling alright, and he's laughing all the way to the bank, while people that don't have a clue of reality admire him. GMAFB!!!

3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dude, seriously?

Did you ever fly CO, or Eastern, or any of the other Texas Air family of airlines during those days? Have you ever talked to anybody who worked for Texas Air or one of its subsidiaries about what working there was actually like? Did you ever see the hodgepodge mess of outdated aircraft that were flying under the CO livery in those days?

Lorenzo was simply about extorting every dime he could out of the company for himself and the big investors. His "vision" put EA out of business and darn near did the same to CO, not once, but twice. He turned what had been several very good to outstanding airlines into an enormous customer service disaster that was barely functional on a day-to-day basis. CO in those days makes the worst of today's US look really, really good.

There's a reason Lorenzo was banned by the DOT from ever running an airline again. You're totally out of touch with what really was going on with CO during his tenure if you think otherwise.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot believe that anyone would sing the praises of Lorenzo, particularly lauding him to the people he screwed over so badly.

5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and don't credit Frank Lorenzo for the globe livery and branding at Continental. It was introduced nearly two years after he departed the airline, and was barely implemented before Gordon Bethune's tenure began several years later.

6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

7. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where is the "Not Like" button for Frank Lorenzo? :)

cordray2643, jetsetr, rggale and 5 others like this.
  8. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    The " LORENZO-NOT LIKE BUTTON" is inside the Gold Club in DEN just past the rude dude that insulted 2 gay party crashers!!! This button is protected round the clock and is encased in bullet proof glass, so that anyone with half a brain doesn't get the bright idea to express their opinion about this POS.

9. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    His execution of his vision was horrible, but the dream itself was righteous and a good thing, and has now become reality. And more to the point, had he not taken the aggressive actions with Continental that he did, the airline would have never made it to 1990 much less 2010 to merge with United (remember, CO's subsequent CEOs basically leveraged the building blocks put in place during the Lorenzo era -- especially the competitive labor cost structure, the EWR and IAH hubs, SHARES, and OnePass -- to transform CO into a leading airline).

10. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well Heathrow (are you really Smisek? it occurred to me mabe you are Smisek incognito...), I think the Lorenzo topic is maybe best left alone...

Why not go over to the "other board" and talk up Tilton? I mean...well, I just mean.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    He's not Smisek I can promise you that... I do and will tell you though Smisek does lurk here once in a while...

jupper and rggale like this.
  12. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heathrowguy is not J. Smisek. I know a few people who have met him personally. I was curious myself, though I prefer to be anonymous

13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only the man himself really knows what his "dream" was at the time he was running Texas Air. However, the evidence of what actually happened, and how the company was run, points more toward a slash and burn for personal gain style of management than managing the company in a way that positioned itself for growth with a long-term vision of being a large, high-quality global carrier. In fact, he left the airline with such a mess that it very nearly failed with a third bankruptcy filing as a direct result of the management during his years. His tenure at Texas Air looks like that of any other 1980s corporate raider, not that of someone who had a long-term interest in seeing the company be successful and prosperous.

The focus at CO during the 1980s wasn't on global growth or high quality. It was on slashing costs, slashing customer service and amenities, and trying to be a large deep-discount airline that served most of the US with a handful of international routes. All of these things you attribute to his "vision" are things that there was no evidence of in the company during the Lorenzo years; they are all things that came about afterward, and in some cases, many years later. CO's vision of being a truly global carrier is really a late 1990s innovation.

14. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the OP has gone back to his original post and substantially edited it, and no longer salutes Lorenzo, he has shown that he doesn't know what in the hell Lorenzo was really about, which is exactly why this is a childish and idiotic discussion, especially about a person who only thought about himself. My wife worked in the office next door to the VP (LAX) that blew his brains out when Lorenzo destroyed all these people's lives and Lorenzo is nothing but scum.

The OP started this thread without having the foggiest idea about what he's talking about, and when confronted with the true facts he went back and change almost every sentence. Others Willy Nilly checked off the "Like" button for his post which is exactly why uninformed followers with enough voting power can screw up not only corporate boards, but also this entire country. Followers will always be followers because it hurts to think for themselves, and that's also exactly why losers will also always be losers, because they believe everything they hear or read!

A lot of people suffered great pain because of this guy and to praise him demonstrates that one should really know ALL the facts prior to inserting one's foot in one's mouth!

15. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I do know what I'm talking about here:

1. For all his flaws, Lorenzo is credited with saving Continental. Even Alfred Kahn, the father of US airline deregulation and no fan of Lorenzo's, conceded that Lorenzo's actions at Continental saved the airline and allowed it to experience the substantial growth it enjoyed once its cost structure was brought down from the highest in the industry to among the lowest of its peers.

2. Every "building block" for Continental's future success I mentioned previously was put into place during the Lorenzo era, and is playing an essential role in the greatness of the New United.

I recognize Lorenzo's tenure at Continental was extremely controversial and emotions run deep from that time. But its also true that much of what's taken place in Continental's life since then -- including the building of New United -- is the fulfillment of his vision, albeit under superior management teams who did care much more about the employees.

16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had to read this thread twice to make sure I read it correctly...

You are giving credit to Frank Lorenzo for the foundation of what today is Continental?

The guy who ran the company through two unsuccessful mergers by two bankruptcies in 7 years making his employees, suppliers and creditors pay for these mergers so he could gain personally from them. The guy who ran the by far worst customer service airline in the world with absolutely no respect for customers and employees, gets the credit for building a great airline. Okeeeei

The guy was run out of town from a broke airline he messed up so badly and gets no credit from anyone -- until now.

I would love to know what these building blocks you're talking about are.

When you think you've read everything...

rggale likes this.
  17. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    "CO's subsequent CEOs basically leveraged the building blocks put in place during the Lorenzo era -- especially the competitive labor cost structure, the EWR and IAH hubs, SHARES, and OnePass -- to transform CO into a leading airline."

18. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Smisek if you lurk this board, please bring back our United please!!!!

FriendlySkies and Flyer1976 like this.
  19. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy and Tommy,
    Has a "BLACK HOLE" on MP been created specifically for this thread yet?

:rolleyes:

20. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    OMG, you are sounding like a FT UACO mod...LOL

21. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I actually thought the OP was a joke.

Mike

22. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No joke at all.

23. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, since we are on a Lorenzo rant right here, he did assemble the key pieces (CO Branding, EWR from PeopleExpress, Eastern's customers). However, he did not do so to provide a leading airline. He saw value that he could pillage, and he did so. Unfortunately, that meant destroying the employees, and destroying nearly every airline he acquired. In fact, Continental as we knew it really came from Texas Air, and like the US/HP merger, it was really Texas Air doing business as Continental Airlines. While he did make important contributions, one can not ignore the damage to the airline industry he left in his wake.

24. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm honestly surprised to see this thread still around...

25. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it is hard for everyone to resist setting the record straight on a successful (though ruthless) businessman from the 80's. From some perspectives, he saved CO, from others he destroyed it.