TOBB?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by mo26, Sep 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So i've seen TOBB pop up in several threads and I have a couple of questions:

1. What is it?

2. Do they status match? ;)

-MO

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This should be in the Newbie branch as it has nothing to do with Miles/Points! ;)

AFAIK, TOBB stands for The Other Bulletin Board or Flyertalk.com!

No, I don't think FT offers any status match! :)

paladinua, estnet, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  3. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Busted!!!

Thanks Kalboz

-MO

Kalboz, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No but impertinence can get the OP banned for life over there.:rolleyes: That should be worth something. if not banned for life at least they do delete posts they don't like, which normally seems to be any reference to us over here on the side of TBJ.

LETTERBOY, uggboy, garyst16 and 2 others like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, indeed ... too much over-reach by moderators at TOBB which is sometimes much needed & well-deserved.

LETTERBOY, uggboy, mo26 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Protip: Double click TOBB (on a computer) and the definition pops up in the upper right corner of your browser. Works on most acronyms here.

LETTERBOY, mo26, TravelBear and 3 others like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    And when it doesn't we can ask to have one added. Our non-mod-mods are very cooperative in doing that, I've noticed.

Kalboz, mo26, LETTERBOY and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

There's a form for that. :)

9. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is ridiculously convenient.

Solid tip!

-MO

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. Actually, +1000. I've seen relatively innocuous posts deleted, and I've seen posts I consider inflammatory allowed to remain. There is a great deal of useful information over there, but people can get very nasty, and the mods don't seem to have much rhyme or reason, IMO.

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but... I still go there, post there and ask questions there, just far less than I once did. Frankly, I resented having posts about MP deleted there. I also thought it was quite unreasonable when several of us tried to get their Kiva team fired up to participate with us. They deleted our posts and were fairly dismissive of our efforts. Then there's the rudeness too, not that we do not have that somewhat sometimes.

12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition, I find TOBB somewhat of a clique. Newbies are eaten alive for asking some questions. Some of the veterans there are nasty ! With close to 20K posts there, I am not intimidated by the bluster of a small group who seem to think that they own that site. And I have never been disciplined by the mods !

boondr, LETTERBOY, mo26 and 1 other person like this.
  13. On the AC site people who hate Air Canada are given free reign and those who speak positive about the airline are shouted down and in many cases suspended. FT is well past its best before date.

LETTERBOY, jbcarioca and milchap like this.
  14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    TOBB? Never heard of it :p

15. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I have said, over there, and here, and in many other places...moderation is censorship. It always, always, bites everyone. Including those who initially find it pleasing that discordant voices are silenced. Because, at some point, the mods will moderate YOU. Even though you never called the DL SM program mejor en su clase (despite the fact Jeff Robbo himself did, and that it unquestionably is) or the BA management Dilbertian (even though they clearly are - see the current and typically disgraceful lounge dragon behavior thread that could have been reprised from 2008, 2011 or whenever) you still take it....

Don't be surprised. I'm not. And if you don't like it, then don't be an apologist for it. Stand up against it and that does not only mean for people with whose views you agree. My position on this is well known and has been consistent for over twenty years online, long before I joined FT or MP. One thing I am determined to uphold is this principle and I defend the rights of even - especially - DL/BA apologists, or Sarah Steeger, whomever - to voice their apologism.

They - of course - do not extend the same respect. This is telling in its own way.

FT - or any board - undermines its value in the ways we see here, by allowing cliques to govern and establish censorship norms.

Perhaps I should run my own board...there will be no protection for sticky beaks defending the indefensible, nor for DLCorpGirl/Guy...nor will their message be silenced or vetted. No indeed, it will be presented verbatim...and then subject to an avalanche of badly-needed free-speech critique....some of the protected BA loyalists would have a very hard time handling such an open discussion and as for DL's corporate spokespeople...muahaha! Come on now, many of you are laughing at what would happen if they posted their usual bs on Shark Corner. You know it, I know it, and so do they. Nor will adjectives be tempered. Only show up if you're ready for an adult discussion....

Griz Shel, jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The acronym means "Tommy's old bulletin board", but it's been superseded so it's easy to understand your sudden onset of Alzheimer's, on this specific issue, anyway.

Gargoyle, Kalboz, mo26 and 1 other person like this.
  17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good one. :D

Kalboz, mo26 and jbcarioca like this.