To wait 60 more days or not....

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by ilovskins12, Feb 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ilovskins12

ilovskins12 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, as I shared before I am new to all of this but have been reading quite a lot lately. I got my first two points cards in the first few days of January (both the saffire preferred and united explorer). I now realize that maybe I also should have applied to get a card from 2 other credit card companies that same day complete a full app-o-rama. However, being new I did not. I'm pretty anxious to get more into this and need some advice on if it will really benefit to wait till the 90 day mark comes or if i can go ahead and grab say 3 more cards now but stay away from Chase. And if I do this, will it then be best to wait for 90 days. If I do wait, how many cards would you suggest getting when April 1st comes along? Credit is about 750 if that helps at all.

2. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check which credit pull you got from chase. Chase pulled transunion credit report for me in chicago and citi pulled equifax it was okey to apply for citi different day.

3. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would try citi double browser trick. I'm new to this miles and points also started just this year. Good luck it's addicting!

4. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    the double browser trick also works for Barclays

5. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it will benefit you.

It will help you develop a schedule of when to apply for CC's and what is your goal for them.

Do you have a destination in mind to redeem them for or are you just hoarding points? It is always better to have a goal in mind and not applying for the sake of applying.

I also do not see the rush to apply for any of the current offers. There are no public offers that are above 50k and it seems like those that are at 50k will be around for a while.

How many cards should you get? Without more information it is hard to say. April 1st is far down the road and hopefully we will have some big time offers by then. Do you want hotels, airlines, proprietary card-issuer programs?

It is very personal and I hope you figure out what works for you. Good Luck.

6. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree 100% with TravelAbstract. Set a goal, figure out what you need to get there, and then focus on that. Also, it is really, really easy to get in a "greedy" mindset, something I've fallen into multiple times. However, you don't want to rush in to things too quick. Set a schedule, find ones that work best for you, and then go after them. It doesn't have to be "slow and steady" as in 1 card at a time, but it also doesn't have to be all at once. 90+ days to wait in between app-o-ramas isn't that long (although it can feel like ages).

Lastly, the deals aren't that great right now. Get a few of them that help you, but don't go after so many that when big deals pop up, you are unable to get them.

mailbroad likes this.
  7. ilovskins12

ilovskins12 Active Member

Status Points:
    All, thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I think im going to wait it out until a little after April 1st.

8. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I piggyback on this post? I just got into this (read: obsessed) at the beginning of January as well, and I'm wondering when it might be okay to apply for more cards.

I got the Southwest RR Visa and Business Visa at the beginning of January, and I'm currently spending on those cards and flying WN to try to earn the Companion Pass ASAP (the husband and I fly WN often since we live in Baltimore and we do a lot of weekend trips).

I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred for my husband at the same time.

We're planning a trip to Germany in July and I just got the notion that we could try to get award flights there and back, since nonstops from IAD to MUC are around $1400 right now (economy). We can use the CSP points on United and fly a Star Alliance partner for 60k roundtrip in coach or 100k roundtrip in business, each.

What's the best way for us to get two award tickets? The sign up bonus + spending on CSP should get us to 60k in not much time, but I don't think one or both of us can apply for the United Explorer card anytime soon, nor can I apply for the CSP myself, since they're also Chase. Should I try to sign up for + churn the US Airways card twice, and then attempt to book us together on Lufthansa via Star Alliance partners?

Is there another strategy that I'm missing? Is this trip too close to actually make this happen?

Thanks so much for the help.

YULtide likes this.
  9. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Patience is a virtue.

Channel your enthusiasm into setting up what you need to succeed in the long term. Plan out what kinds of points you want to get and look for non-credit card offers and shortcuts to elite status as well. Set up mechanisms to track required spend and spread it out over multiple cards. Determine how to move monthly bills from credit card to credit card. Figure out a system for determining which cards to use for what kinds of purchases, which you will keep, which you will close, how to seek reconsideration, how to get retention offers, etc.

Wait for the really good offers. Get your credit scores and watch which issuers use which credit bureaus. When the good offers come out, jump on them right away as they often disappear quickly.

Good luck!

Ike

Mikus33 likes this.