To Use Ink Bold or SPG Amex???

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by merice107, Apr 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in the the pleasant situation of being able to purchase $2800 of hotel rooms for a group I teach. It is a red roof inn. I am looking for stone to confirm my thinking or correct me. I know there is a lot of talk about the value of each point but I was going to use the value of one UR point as 1.25 cents. And then one SPG point at 2 cents. Also, the ink bold gets me double points at hotels. So therefore...

2800x2=5600. $56 value of SPG points

2800(2)x1.25=7000. $70 value of UR points

Anyone recommendations on using different point values? I would need spg points to be valued at 2.5 cents to get me a $70 value.

Other curveball: I need Singapore krisflyer miles. So should I use the spg since there isn't that much of a difference?

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    5600 Starpoints = 7000 FF miles in many FF programs if you transfer your Starpoints in 20,000 blocks to get the 5,000 bonus free. Depending on how you redeem miles, that could be well over $350 in value @ 5cpm or higher.

TravelBear, merice107 and MX like this.
  3. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point! I think that between that, needing SQ miles, and that 2 cents per point is a conservative value, I'll use the SPG Amex despite the double points at hotels for the ink.

4. WinecountryFlyer

WinecountryFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Going to disagree with one point here....5600 Starpoints does not equal 7,000 FF miles. You are assuming that one will earn an additional 14,400 points somewhere else and then make the transfer. If you made those types of assumptions across every valuation of points, you'd never be able to truly value anything because it would only be as good as the next assumption being fulfilled. ;)

With that being said.....I agree with Mike. If you want Krisflyer miles, go with Starwood as they are not a transfer partner of UR.

merice107 likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was no assumption - I clearly asserted that you had to transfer 20,000 points to get that uplift.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. riplip

riplip New Member

Status Points:
    Regardless, SPG is a much better program. It is worth SPG, regardless if the points = $$ is lower.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's very debatable depending on the outcome you want and the relative value you give each program. UR works for some, SPG works for others... and often at different times.