To upgrade or not to upgrade....that is the question.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Dubuque75, Jul 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dubuque75

Dubuque75 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm traveling to PVG to CID. I'm flying F class over to PVG from ORD, however on the way back I go PVG-SFO, SFO-ORD and ORD-CID. Currently I'm in economy plus. However, for $2k I can pay and fly F class on the first two legs (the last leg is not needed as it's only a 57 minute trip). I don't have all the FF miles everyone else has. I only have a total of 107,000 total so far for my lifetime miles and I only have 350 of those left. Is it worth it? Usually my company paid for business, however I have since started my own business and this would be coming out of my own pocket (tax deductible).

Thoughts?

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't be worth it to me. Also, using miles doesn't deduct from your Lifetime Miles.

MX, Wandering Aramean and Dubuque75 like this.
  3. Dubuque75

Dubuque75 Active Member

Status Points:
    What's the purpose of Lifetime miles? Just to hit the Million mark?

4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. You earn certain benefits for life once you reach those milestones. All the gory details on that are located here.

Dubuque75 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you fly in F all the time, you could eventually take it for granted and not enjoy the extra comforts as much as you would with having varied experiences. Also if you enjoy being thrifty, you'd get some satisfaction in preserving your business funds. However, if you're feeling overworked and need to relax a little, then it might be more beneficial both for you and your business to upgrade.

Dubuque75 likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd save the cash. That's a lot of money for marginal (IMO) benefit.

Dubuque75 and beach1103 like this.
  7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd also stay with E+. $2K doesn't seem worth it.

-RM

Dubuque75 likes this.
  8. Dubuque75

Dubuque75 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'll save the money and stay in E+. Maybe I'll spend the savings on a new MacBook Pro for the office. :D

lycidas1, genemk2 and desamo like this.
  9. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if you have any elite status with United, but with $2,000 you could use that money for mileage running that would help bump-up status/create status with United. Sure you might not be able to attain elite status by the time you leave/return from PVG, but you'll have miles to use for a future trip and get ever so closer to lifetime status with UA.

desamo likes this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to reply that it depends on your age and physical condition. Being 54 years old with chronic back pain plus muscle aches from cholesterol meds, upgrades make the difference between my arriving energetic and rested or aching and worthless. Anything over two hours, and I too often suffer the latter when flying E+. It's not the seat width or leg room, but the cushion quality and recline angle that make the difference for me.

If I didn't yet have a new MacBook Pro, however, I would probably be willing to suffer considerable pain for a couple of days if it meant the difference between owning one or not. ;)

Dubuque75 likes this.
  11. Dubuque75

Dubuque75 Active Member

Status Points:
    Max,
    Are you saying to use the 2,000 to buy miles, I guess I have never bought miles before and it never crossed my mind.
    I'll have to look into it.

Ken,
    37 years old. I can't be in a "normal" seat for more than 4 hours. It destroys my back. 27 years of golfing, I know....wuss.
    I already have a MacBook Pro, but I'm a complete sucker for new products (retina display). One can never have enough toys!

12. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I am not mistaken Max is suggesting using that 2000 dollars to find a bunch of decent mile earning flights to gain status and earn additional miles. Not buy the miles out right though that is an option but probably not a great value proposition.

Dubuque75 likes this.