To those that hide Vanilla Reload cards...I thank you!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by squinlavin, Mar 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. squinlavin

squinlavin Member

Status Points:
    So I stupidly messed up a spend requirement by counting an authorization from cvs that isn't a real charge. My statement closes Wednesday so naturally I panicked as I can only find VR cards at work and usually never where I live in NYC.

I realized my mistake Friday night and went hunting to 5 stores, no luck but three stores were unloading crates from trucks so I thought I may have luck today (Saturday).

I ventured out this morning around 8 and was too early for everything to be unloaded, no dice. I returned at 1:30 and most everything was unloaded, gift card racks were still empty and some crates were left so I had hope.

I knew if I had to wait for Monday morning the charge would most likely not hit by Wed 3/26 so tonight was my last chance. The first store I check has everything cleared from the aisles yet no new gift cards, I couldn't be more deflated as I was set to walk ~1 mile looking for these unicorns. I turn a display and notice something peaking out from behind an all white Xbox gift card. That little black stripe in the middle that we're all familiar with. As I pushed the front cards aside my excitement grew, did I really just luck out in the most impossible of ways? My travels paid off as there were 2 VR cards in a stack of 30 Xbox. I needed $940 to meet the $10k spend and these two were all I needed for glorious satisfaction. I have always cursed those that hide the cards for their own selfishness but today I thank you, I surely would be out of luck if not for your greed and in the end karma worked its course.

Now the panic game of waiting for the transaction to post in 4 or fewer business days.. fingers crossed! Thanks for reading..happy hunting all!!

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unrelated to the above, I know at least one cvs that started hiding those things themselves (in a dedicated drawer by the front cash register). Customers need to ask a cashier for them.

gconnery likes this.
  3. murphbc

murphbc Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a lot of work to save the extra $2 that buying 2 visa gift cards would have cost you. And you wouldn't have to go to 5 stores and multiple days.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

gconnery, murphbc and TUMD like this.
  5. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally would hide them behind the Chuck E Cheese gift cards, but that's just me.

6. squinlavin

squinlavin Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I guess they are tired of people taking 20 the day they are put on the floor then returning each day after with 5 fresh ones to reload. I'm sure the cashiers realize there were none left in stock so he got them from somewhere.

gconnery likes this.
  7. squinlavin

squinlavin Member

Status Points:
    A valid point, I've resisted using the VGC but that was ultimately my fallback plan if none could be found. From what I've understood there is no easy way to load the VGC on anything and you just need to use them incrementally in store. I can never find ones issued by US Bank which seems to be the difference btw pin and not. If I'm wrong please let me know!

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    What would be the point of hiding them though? I've seen the local CVS stores put them in the front near the cashier, but they're out in plain sight -- whenever they're available.

I would imagine that these are a cash cow (for now) for CVS, so they will happily sell as many as they can to anybody that comes. Anything that they can make a profit on, that they can move quickly, I'm sure they will be happy to sell.

IMO, the people hiding these are the "people sort of like us" -- the ones trying to manufacture spend. If there are any "hidden" at the cashier chances are that they're holding them for someone at their request, but couldn't NOT sell them if asked, as to avoid issues.

And I say "sort of" like us, because obviously anybody that hides these has no common courtesy. If I get to the CVS and I see 50 VR cards, I'm going to get what I need, leave the rest untouched and maybe even check into the store on Foursquare regardless and post that I got some vanilla cards. I'm not so greedy for points today that I have to not only hoard the cards that I find but also physically hide them from other people that are doing the same thing I'm doing.

I'm not that petty, although I'm sure other people are, as the stores that I frequent near my house have been consistently out of VR cards for about 3 weeks now.

gconnery likes this.
  9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that cvs makes a net profit on the reloads. Regardless, many stores in my area have a $1K a day limit. I also learned from one cashier that the chain-wide $5K a day limit will be cut in half starting in April.

TUMD and gconnery like this.
  10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sort of wrong. You CAN unload them to Bluebird at Walmart but of course you have to drive to Walmart, account for your time, the Kate is probably out of service, you'll go to the cashier and she a) will do it happily, b) take one then refuse to do the second, c) ask to see your Debit card then refuse, d) not know what you're talking about, etc." So you're out the time/gas/hassle. But doable if you can hit a Walmart without major exertion. Similarly you can use them at WM to buy money orders to deposit at your bank account for an additional fee, but you have to stand in the (often long) line at the MoneyCenter.

You can also dump them using Evolve money to pay your mortgage or car loan. At least you could last I tried.

Oh and rumor has it you can pay your Citi credit cards on the phone with Citi using a debit card. Max one per day or per call or something. VftW had a story on this recently.

squinlavin and MX like this.
  11. squinlavin

squinlavin Member

Status Points:
    Walmart is a no go as It would be ~$5 in gas each way, big bummer if out of order.

The extra fees on MOs and other options are what steered me to the bean. I have heard the pay a Citi with a MVR/GC talk recently but haven't tried.

gconnery likes this.
  12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    For whatever you spend in mortgage/car payments the Evolve thing currently works well. Of course who knows if/when they'll put in the same prepaid detection logic everybody else seems to eventually get around to adding.

I always unload at WM. Its just easier if the Kate is working.

squinlavin likes this.