To stay with AA or not to stay with AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Juanefny, Oct 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I've had some illnesses in the family and have just had a slow travel year and I'm sitting on 35k eqms for the year. While next year will definitely be back to normal flying, unless there's a double eqm offer before the end of 2013, there's no way that I'll make it to 100k and requal for Exp. In fact, I can definitely push to make up the 15k miles and requal for plat, but I'm not sure staying with AA as Plat would be worth it since you don't really get free upgrades as plat...
    So I'd like your input and advice. Should I try to get a match or challenge at UA,DL or US; or should I stay and stick it out as Plat on AA?
    Your advice will be greatly appreciated :)

adrianors, tondoleo and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Griz Shel
    Original Member

Griz Shel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you'll get about the same amount of benefits as an AA Platinum compared to a UA Platinum or a DL Plat. even though it's actually technically a tier lower than those levels. Upgrades are hard these days, especially with UA. UA miles earned are (overall) worth more, but AA still has some great redemption opps. You'll earn a few less miles per flight with UA. Pay attention also to the new status earning requirements* with UA and AA and make sure you will be comfortable with them.

* Spending minimums on carrier issued tickets / credit card spending qualification options.

3. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best you'll get as a status match is the PLT equivalent on those other carriers. Depending on your home airport and where you fly, that may or may not be better than being PLT on AA. If you live in Chicago, being PLT is better than the UA option IMHO. Too many 1ks out of ORD make upgrades difficult.

MX, tondoleo and marcwint55 like this.
  4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can hit 35k EQM by end of year, you can match UA 1K. I recently did this and have been disappointed. UA has only upgraded me as a 1K on 20% of my routes flown this year. Significantly lower than my 80%+ on AA. I'm probably going to abandon UA myself and end up as PP on UA and P on AA next year. Will probably let the convenience factor of routes drive my spend next year, but give the edge to AA.

MX, tondoleo and marcwint55 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would stick with AA as it sounds like you will be back to EXP the following year. As a platinum you can use the 500 mile upgrades and have a decent change of getting upgraded. If you do return to EXP, you have the benefit of buying cheap tickets and using systemwide upgrades once you return to EXP.

MX, tondoleo and Seat6A like this.
  6. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, I don't believe that Delta has anything like a SWU. I believe that their upgrades are only available in the Continental US and Caribbean. That steered me away from DL, and the news about UA upgrades listed here ameks me want to stay with AA.

tondoleo likes this.
  7. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. If the merger happens, one thing I had considered was either buying or doing a trial with US since at the end of the day that would end up being merged into my AA Aadvantage account and that way I get some automatic upgrades throughout next year instead of purchasing the 500 mile upgrades like I did when I was Plat on AA. Thoughts?

tondoleo likes this.
  8. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    That said, I have a feeling that if the merger does happen, the program benefits will be harmonized anyway, making it unnecessary to switch.

tondoleo likes this.
  9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    depends on the routes you fly... in terms of upgrades and convenience. If you're connecting anyways, a US trial might be a good way to keep elite status and move up the ranks while getting free upgrades. If you can fly enough to get chairman's in 3 months (30k miles on US metal) you'll likely be given EXP once the merger goes through.

brodyf and tondoleo like this.
  10. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're always connecting out of ABQ lol
    Good advise! I have a feeling that Plats will start getting free upgrades soon.

11. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think merging programs is going to take some time. More like a 2015 kind of thing perhaps?

I'm no expert but I'm in the same boat; travel freeze this year so no work travel at all. I'll make PLAT and perhaps springboard back next year if circumstances change.

12. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL has SWUs, but they're worthless: only valid on YBM internationally. M fares are frequently close to, and sometimes higher than discounted C.

13. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, note that AA PLT earn 100% bonus, while UA PG only earn 50% and PP earn 75%.

What you probably don't want to do is stay AA Gold, since lowest tier levels are practically useless for AA or any other carrier. IMHO.

flyforawg likes this.
  14. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    But what they start doing earlier is reciprocal upgrades. So while the programs are kept separate, you can then start flying AA as a US elite and get free upgrades. At least that's how the earlier mergers have worked out.

15. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could always go back to DL . Hint : Its gotten worse since you left. Way worse.

IMHO, as soon as complimentary upgrades come about (to everyone) AA will change their policy towards how domestic upgrades are processed. Specifically, by fare class, as opposed to time of request. This will affect high upgrade percentages that cheap AA flyers keep bragging about.

My point is : All the airlines are bad these days (if not awful) . Pick the one that suits you the best.

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's more likely that US fliers get used to 500-milers, that's a distinctive part of advantage and the only program not doing full udu.

17. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think AA will create a 75k mile tier and do away with the 500 milers to harmonize both programs.

18. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    75k tier would be fine, but I do not want UDUs, CPUs, or whatever the term is.

19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy crap...when did GoGo day passes go up to $20.95 on AA?

20. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    75k tier is fine, but I do not want UDUs, CPU, etc. coming to AA. Mile-long upgrade lists are just wrong.

21. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With today's announcement regarding the trashing of mileage plus redemption levels, any airline BUT UA would be a good choice.....my preference is swinging back in AA's direction though.

meFIRST likes this.
  22. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Juan, even I, the most loyal of UA flyers, will be diversifying next year.