To Move From KrisFlyer to Asiana Club or not? That is the question...

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by General_Flyer, Jun 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    So here I am almost 4 years of membership, and now thinking of moving to Asiana Club for the sake of their lifetime Plat..

Now I don't fly a lot.. Just 2x transpac a year from US gateways to Indonesia, and some domestic US flights earning around 60-80K on KF.

The one thing I like about KF is that I actually can get redemption on their flights with the new products (certainly not the R class though).

But other than that, it doesn't appeal to me at all except the occasional perks when I was PPS (Which I may not get anyhow for a while).

OZ seems to be a pretty decent program with lower levels of accrual and that lifetime *G is also a nice addition (provided I fly 1 million miles). I haven't actually flown with OZ before, nor know their elite level service..

Thank you beforehand!

cennas and SQ LPP like this.
  2. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently switched from BD to OZ, mainly due to uncertainty over BD's future, and my always managing to only *just* qualify for *G, with sometimes unpredictable travel patterns. I expect to hit Diamond with my next trip, but will then throw everything into KF, until the next OZ qualification period opens. This, like you said, is to allow upgrades on newer SQ planes, as I fly mostly with them. If I knew I could hit *G regularly with KF, I'd go with them, but 50k a year in Y is possible but unlikely for me. I don't really see the benefit of OZ except for those who need *G qualification with minimal flying (in Y). There is no central email address, no bonus mileage except on OZ flights, and the burn rates aren't the best. I've not done much other than earn with them, so can't say what the operations are like. Otherwise, flights have posted pretty quickly, and status packs have arrived a couple of weeks after being elevated.

In some ways, I wish I'd stuck with BD for another year to earn the bonus miles and probably get LH SEN, but it was too risky when I took the decision. Not being able to use BD miles for upgrades (work travel is always Y but typically upgradeable fares), would make the miles a little less useful though.

As for lifetime membership, My travel patterns would mean flying as I do now for 20 years or so; who knows what the world will be like by then?

SQ LPP and General_Flyer like this.
  3. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. *G with them lasts for 2 years instead of 1.. 60-80K is guaranteed accrual based on my flights, no bonuses. On the other hand, I am flying with SQ all the time for my flights anyways..

It really is a dilemma for me.. I can always do the LH Double dip.. But that upgrade on SQ depends solely on KF miles.. OZ seems to be pretty attractive on the side of its accrual rate for achieving elites are quite low..

If SQ had been more open, I could've moved more freely with other *A programs.. But that is unlikely to happen even if the world ends in 7 days.. :rolleyes:

SQ LPP likes this.
  4. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, I see OZ as a 20k/yr tax for gold status. Accruals are pretty reasonable in Y, but KF is ok too. The burning isn't really great, but for me, maintaining Gold, whatever my flying pattern, is important. All mileage over and above the Diamond qualification can be put into KF, along with credit card miles for upgrades. For you, I'd certainly stick with KF. Remember too that most airlines will prefer their own elites over other FFPs' members of the equivalent level for op-ups. Of course, we know how often that happens on SQ!

sobore and General_Flyer like this.
  5. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is just the hardest part of it all... :rolleyes:

I have to have that upgrade and the only way to do it is via SQ.. If there are multiple competing carriers on my route, I don't care for SQ.. But since its the only one, and the most schedule-flexible.. Oh well..

If I could just give miles to SQ and status on someone else... But we know that'll never happen.. :rolleyes:

SQ LPP likes this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like you, I was contemplating a switch from BD to OZ when my BD *G was renewed this year. But in the end decided to stick it out and see what this year brings. For me the most attractive benefit OZ *G is the low qualification threshold and the 2-year status validity. I don't do a lot of flying, mostly regionals within Asia, and usually just scrape through the qualification threshold for BD *G. So OZ *G is very attractive indeed for me. I still bank miles to my Krisflyer though, exclusively through credit cards usage as I mostly travel with SQ.

I have flown OZ twice before, in J, and really liked their service, it was almost SQ-like.

General_Flyer and Saracen like this.
  7. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's basically exactly what I'm doing. SQ is my transactional FFP, and OZ is just for status, though I'm sure I'll find a use for the miles somehow. The last piece of the jigsaw is for BD to join the *A Upgrades programme so I can use my stash of 300k miles there. Although, now that I don't need to fly as much, the idea of full-on redemptions seems to make a little more sense. Previously, I wouldn't do it for fear of missing out on earning.

General_Flyer and cennas like this.
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is exactly my predicament. I'm hesitant to do full-on redemptions as I barely meet the 38K threshold to maintain BD *G year after year. Most of my redemptions in the past years were short, regional flights where the miles to be gained weren't a lot. Maybe I should really switch to OZ next year where I only need to worry about re-qualifying on every other year.

Saracen and General_Flyer like this.
  9. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Anyone knows if they have more access to SQ's award inventory? Even upgrades inventory or is that just for KF only?

10. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the trouble is more and more SQ routes are being served by new planes, and, as a rule, non-Y inventory isn't released outside of KF (where only Standard or Full awards are offered on these planes), though there have been odd exceptions. Hence, in most cases, the only way of getting an upgrade on SQ flights is with KF, which is why I put the rest of my miles, plus credit card miles, there. The 15% online redemption discount makes Standard award somewhat bearable.

General_Flyer likes this.
  11. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, been there!

Best part with OZ, is you don't even need to qualify every other year, it's 40k over two years, so even 20k in one and 20k in the next, or 5k in one and 35k in the next, it's fine, leaving you flexible to use redemptions whenever you like.

cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  12. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed.. :rolleyes:

There's just no escaping SQ.. *sigh*

13. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm I thought 2 years ago you gave up SQ. You were asking the same question in TOB. :D

Lounge access when you fly *A domestic in the US?

As always, the grass is greener in the neighbour's backyard. :p

Young man, there are many carriers flying to Southeast Asia, or Indonesia. You have many choices for many many years.
    CX and TG will take you there. NH comes to mind for *A. Then, there is UA up to Singapore. And I know UA has good fares to/from CGK.

sobore and General_Flyer like this.
  14. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I tried, but it seems that I always ended up flying with them...

OZ AC can give me that too... :p

That's the problem.. :rolleyes:

The grass is green on this side with the help of synthetic technology.. On the other hand, the grass on the other side is transplanted... :p

Nope.. The only 2 carriers flying in and out of SUB is CX and SQ (MI). CX schedule is always a ruckus with me, leaving SQ with the most flexible schedule. FFP wise, I find Star to be much more flexible and flies to my destination cities more than OW.. :)

SQ LPP likes this.
  15. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Argghhh...sure looks like I didn't make the correct decision when I decided to stick it out with BD this year.

As I said, I was contemplating on making the switch to OZ, but then I started to think about the things that make BD so attractive that in the end I couldn't muster up enough courage to leave.

SQ LPP likes this.
  16. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny, I keep thinking I should have stuck around for just another year. Easy to switch anyway: once you tick over just start putting your miles into OZ. If you hit 40k in the one year, you won't miss out on gold at all, plus your Gold will be valid for 3 years! If it takes a bit longer, then you might have a short status less patch. But then BMI usually add a couple of months to the expiry anyway.

cennas and SQ LPP like this.
  17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most likely I will only tick over near the end of my BD year in March, so I won't start making the switch to OZ until next year. Hope the programme will not be "enhanced" by then.

SQ LPP likes this.
  18. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Funny, I was given the chance to convert to BD a couple of years ago, and Aegean this year..

But the answer seems to be the same.. All my long hauls are with SQ with domestic portions on UA, but I value importance on upgrades on SQ more than UA since I can just buy them.. :rolleyes:

SQ LPP and cennas like this.
  19. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like you I fly mostly with SQ and redeem on SQ. But with my travel patterns, 50K for a KF Gold is a bit too steep for me, so I had to choose BD where the qualification is easier. But I still bank miles to KF through credit card usage and use them to redeem for short regional flights.

General_Flyer and SQ LPP like this.
  20. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't use CC though, and I only fly 2x transpac a year.. That's kind of the hard ball.. The 60-80K per year is barely enough for KF Gold and perhaps PPS by chance.. I really need to do a lot more flying I think to change to other programs..

cennas likes this.
  21. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    My math may be rusty. :) But I wonder how you get 60K when you fly 2x transpac. SFO-SIN is about 8444 miles. Roundtrip is 16888. Thus 2 roundtrip will be 33776.
    Unless you are doing 2 Round The World, i.e. about 58,000.

cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  22. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    + A number of domestics.. Usually I do J and F at least once, and I either do SFO or LAX.

If I fly 2x R/T in J SFO-SIN is around 10,550*4= 42,200 Miles, add up J SIN-SUB which is around 1,070*4 = 4,280 Miles, add up F from SFO-PDX which is around 827*4= 3,308 Miles which in total is around 49,788 miles. Note that this accounts the bonus miles. From LAX the basic is 8,763 Miles and comes up to 10,954 with bonus. In F, the accrual amount is of course larger.

I usually do a couple of regional flights as I get home to Indonesia and coupled with Domestic US flights.. So, somewhere around 60-80K is about correct, or maybe I should revise it to 50-70K.

23. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are talking about redeemable miles, which is different than the status miles, which is BIS. For example, your status on AC or UA, is not based on SFO-SIN 10,550, but only 8444 (no fares bonus miles).

24. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, that is accounting for the 150% and 125% accruals on F & J, which all Star Alliance members do accrue on their FFP (minus the MI part). There is an additional tier bonus that is subject to each their own FFP membership

25. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surely, 60-80K is more than enough for KF Gold, no? :)