To get to a million mile?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kmh134, Aug 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kmh134

kmh134 New Member

Status Points:
    I heard new changes in 2012 where points other than travel do not count toward reaching the 1 million threshold. I am 60,000 short of one million mile. Is there any way to hit it without flying with AA or counterparts. IAA does not have direct flights from where I am to most of my destinations so I prefer not to fly with AA anymore.

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. sendbillmoney

sendbillmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have a Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard® credit card account that was open and in good standing by December 1, 2011, you could make $60,000 in purchases through December 2012. That seems to be the only way to get Million Miler Program credit without flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or the AmericanConnection® carrier or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=millionmiler

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    First, welcome to MP kmh134!

These changes actually took place very late in 2011. Here is a LINK to the thread detailing the changes.

As noted above, if you opened the credit card above within the alloted time frame, you should still be earning miles that qualify for million miler status. This is pretty much your only option other than flying with AA and partners.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the interest in earning the status? You seem to indicate you don't plan on flying with AA in the future. Is it simply because you were so close and want to earn it, or do you still plan on taking some AA flights in the future?

servo46250 and perryplatypus like this.
  4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ^^^^ you asked before I could.

If you're not going to fly AA anymore why would you care about getting to the million mark?

But to answer the question, other than the CC you can fly oneworld partners (BA,CX etc) and those flight miles count towards the total. (assuming you book through AA). (at least that is what we were told when the program was officially announced)

5. Slojwd

Slojwd New Member

Status Points:

6. Slojwd

Slojwd New Member

Status Points:
    I have the same problem. Feel screwed bynthe stealth change in the program. I have written head of AA customer relations and suggest that other AA card members do the same. I m looking at switching card and airlines. Any one have any success in dealinf with A A?

7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ??????????????

This was far from stealth...well publicized and posted here and on the OTB

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess just about all this thread proves that many (the majority???) of FF program members just dont pay much attention to whats going with the program.

9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And other than the changes to BIS miles only counting, other changes have made 1 Million not necessarily attractive anymore.

Lifetime Gold gets you
    1. the ability to buy stickers to upgrade.
    2. the ability to get preferred seats, but after the other elites. (and now it seems that includes purchased upgrades other than stickers.
    3. A neat Gold card.
    4. A small increase in earning on purchased fares.

Anything else that Lifetime Gold gets? Now?

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What are these "other changes" you're referencing? The GLD status benefits have been fairly consistent for awhile now and haven't changed.

Also, to clarify some of the points you've made above....
    • GLDs can also earn stickers through flying, so buying them isn't the only option.
    • There is no waiting period for GLDs to select preferred seats, they can select them at the time of purchasing their itinerary. The waiting period you're referencing sounds like the UA program which limits access to Economy Plus seats for lower tier elites. AA doesn't do this.
    Some benefits of GLD status not listed:
    • Minimum mileage guarantee (500 miles)
    • Priority Check-In at Business class desk for AA and oneworld partners
    • Priority AAccess security screening
    • Priority AAccess boarding
    • Free same day standby
    • Waived baggage fees
    • Waived award processing fee
    • Discount on Admirals Club membership
    • Access to Dynamic AAwards
    Admittedly some has of those are more useful than others. :)

Mapsmith likes this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Priority checkin security boarding irops standby etc. Bag fee and award fee waivers.

12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Edit by me. Forgot for a moment I am trying to be nicer.

13. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

But isn't the Priority AAccess Boarding kinda useless now that Golds are just group 1 and anyone with a Citi Card can get Priority AAccess.
    Screening ain't much of a concern here at TUS with only one Magnetometer working most of the time. and one line for screening.

Bag fees are also waived for the first bag with the Citi Card.

And an AC membership discount doesn't help much if there isn't one at the airport (or it has weird hours)

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Useless is a relative term. Do you want to avoid the chance of gate checking your carry on? Then no, Priority AAccess is not useless.

GLD status also allows two bags checked free, not just the first.

While the rest of what you've said does limit the value, it really only limits the value to you. Just because your airport never has a priority security line and doesn't have an AC doesn't make the status useless to a vast number of other fliers. To someone based in MIA/ORD/MCI it might be worthwhile. I think we have to be careful valuing things only from our personal perspective, and should keep in mind there are many who don't walk in our shoes.

That being said.... I've always been baffled by the lengths by which people will go to get lifetime status. Overall the benefits for GLD are fairly minimal for someone who isn't flying often, and some of the best benefits can be obtained through the CCs as you note. Not everyone is interested in the CC game though.

So I do agree that the status is rather "meh". I just don't think it's universally "meh" for all types of travelers. :)