To gate check stroller or not for a 35 min connection?

Discussion in 'DTW | Detroit Metro Airport' started by mrsnarbonne, Jun 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mrsnarbonne

mrsnarbonne Active Member

Status Points:
    I will be transiting through DTW from LAX (DL 1706) on the way to EWR (Delta Air Lines 5168 operated by ExpressJet Airlines) with a 3.5yo preschooler and 6mo baby by myself. Would you recommend gate checking a stroller and waiting for it upon arrival at DTW?

The advantage to having the stroller is that actually moving about the airport would be faster, especially if I have a ways to go to the next gate, because I could strap my preschooler in, wear the baby in the front carrier, and have my carry-on backpack. But if waiting for the stroller to be unloaded would take too long, then I suppose I might be faster just holding my preschooler's hand and hoping he moves quickly. Any thoughts?

2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're not going to be allowed to take it on-board a CRJ or ERJ, so gate checking it is really your only option. It'll certainly take them a little time to get it up to you, but I don't see where you'd have any other options, except for leaving it home, though I imagine you'd need it when you get to LAX.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess your question is whether to gate check or do it at the counter...

I've waited for a good 10 minutes on UA for a gate-checked stroller to come out -- albeit that's the exception and usually happens within a few minutes of the door opening. With a 35 minute connection you're really, really cutting it close, but if you have any significant walking to do you might not have a choice. Carrying a baby and handling a toddler and I'm assuming associated bags would be a chore if you don't have wheels.

Is a 35 minute connection even valid?

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no experience, but wouldn't a smaller compact (not run of the mill large version with cup holders and padding) stroller fit in the overhead, i.e.:
    http://www.babyearth.com/cosco-umbrella-stroller.html
    ? With such a short connection if such a stroller would work it seems to make sense to buy it as a throw away rather than deal with the miss connect.

This thread has some good suggestions with quotes from the united (not DL) site:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/965447-quinny-zapp-stroller-carry.html

viguera likes this.
  5. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    That connection could be tough regardless, but usually* strollers come out very quickly. Regardless of your choice, know when the next flight is as any hiccup and you will have an issue and full hands. ;) Hopefully it won't be a problem though - good luck!

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I've never been allowed to carry one onboard, even when on F with the seat next to me empty and using our travel-specific umbrella stroller (we have a much bigger one at home that never goes anywhere because it's too damn big).

iolaire likes this.