To churn or not to churn...

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by FlyingVizzer, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingVizzer
    Original Member

FlyingVizzer Silver Member

Status Points:
    that is the question... well, sort of.

Since Jan 2011, I have gotten the SW card, Continental, United, Amex Plat, Amex SPG, and the AAdvantage card, and most recently the Cap1 venture card all for the sweet deals that's been talked about on here and several blogs.

Now, I see the offer for the 100k BA card and I guess my question is, is this worth it? I live in Tampa and my trips would primarily be to Europe or Japan. More often than not, when I fly to Japan, I fly Delta or United/ANA. So, I have never flown British Airways and aside from American, it would seem extremely rare that I would fly any of the One World alliance airlines (maybe JAL but again, not sure).

So, having said that, is it still worth going after this? In other words, is 100k miles really worth chasing regardless of whether you think you'll fly the airline or not just from the sheer volume perspective? Or is this around the time I should be more selective?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't you really asking what sort of OneWorld award 100K BA miles would realistically give a nonelite? And, alternatively, what sort of award you could get after an additional JAL trip to add a bit to the 100K miles? It might make more sense to ask this in the BA forum, where more people with knowledge of their availability and award rules and experience booking interesting award tickets would be more likely to see your question and respond? Just a suggestion....

3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being selective is always good. However, 100K miles can always be used for award flights. I am not a BA person, but probably two round trips to Japan (economy, )?

4. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    100K BA miles is good enough for a US-Far East Asia in J. You can visit Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, China, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, etc...with connecting option at Japan (JAL) and Hong Kong (CX). I believe their fare rules are pretty good an stopover is allowed (I could be wrong though).

5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have you looked at which credit bureaus the banks have used for the pulls? Appears you have 7 hard pulls. Probably spread over at least 2 bureaus. Strike 1.

You have applied for 3 Chase cards (SW, CO and UA) in the past 3 plus months. I assume Chase would use the same bureau for all their credit cards so you have a minimum of 3 pulls on the bureau that Chase uses. This is strike 2.

As has been reported numerous times, Chase tends to be one of the more difficult banks to get credit cards from. Once they see you have churned cards, they like to see about 5-6 months between applications and no more than 2 or 3 hard pulls in the prior 6 months - but YMMV.

Bottom line, you can apply but you run a very high risk of getting denied.

6. FirstClassQueen
    Original Member

FirstClassQueen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did the New Chase promotion and i found it easy to get the 100.000.00 match. Along with that I just got the Hyatt card and two others. However you have to follow the advice that (deant ) gave in his post above to make it all work out and not be declined. You have to know which credit bureaus the bank pulls from that is key.

deant likes this.
  7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you not take up an offer for 100k free points that would enable a round trip business class to Asia on Cathay?

Personally I would not care if I did not normally use BA or One World, taking into account the reward on offer. If you were talking about a RT domestic trip in economy I can see how you would blow it off.

However, as others have said, you may find that you have over-Chased yourself the past few months and may be declined.

8. FlyingVizzer
    Original Member

FlyingVizzer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I just applied so we shall see. If I get declined, I will call them to see if I can reduce the credit line on other cards... fwiw, I'll update when I find out what happens.

9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good luck and I hope you do get approved.