To Challenge or Not to Challenge

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by IMGone, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a *A flyer, and want to achieve some status this year (although 1K is seeming more and more out of reach). High prices have caused me to purchase my first *gasp* ticket to Europe on AA. So I'm wondering if the challenge offers make sense (the gold one) for me at this time. I haven't dug into the details because I haven't considered AA since they went LRTC years ago .... What happens if I fail to complete the challenge? I'm not sure how much more traveling I'd have to do to complete the challenge (or whether a ticket already purchased, but not flown would count). So what do you think, is it worth it to request the challenge when only 5K on a cheap ticket is booked?

2. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be advised that there is a cost for signing up to do a challenge. If you don't intend to fly AA any more after this particular flight, then it probably is not worth signing up, and paying, for the challenge.

If, however, you would be flying more on AA in the next year, you'd have to determine if the benefits you receive would outweigh the cost. This is a personal decision based on your travel patterns, and the value you place on the benefits (see below).

Here are some links you might find useful:
    Challenge information: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)
    Benefits chart: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/p...?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=elitebenefits

TuesdayMass likes this.
  3. if u have current *alliance elite, try and get them to match it first

4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - I had no idea there was a fee associated with this ... that is an important tidbit to add in.

5. JFK

JFK

However, if you do decide to do the challenge, a trip to Europe (depending on where and on which fare) might easily put you over the 5,000 points mark required for Gold. Not a bad deal considering it's $140. Also, you would get +25% X base miles for the flight where you cross the threshold.

6. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check on the details about timing too. AIRC, before June? July 15? in any year, a completed challenge gets you elite status until the end of that year. A challenge done later in the year gets you status for that year and the following year as well.

7. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone - great input for me to make the call!

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Tickets booked outside your challenge window but FLOWN inside the challenge window will count towards your challenge.

9. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are reports of status matching for Executive Platinum that requires no fee, but you need to earn 25,000 points in 3 months.The Challenges are only for Gold and Platinum, ExPlat has never be a Challenge. Oh yeah, watch out. AA has Elite Qualifying Points and Elite Qualifying Miles. Challenges are based on Points. Deep discount fares earn one-half point per mile flown.

Good information here.and here

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen a report of someone who was a high status flyer on another airline, and he was offered a status match to Platinum and a no-fee challenge to EXP.

11. Not a useful suggestion. AA doesn't match status. They offer Challenges.

12. out-of-date information that you have there, changed last month.

13. I know that. I just spoke to them. Got their email.

14. you're welcome.

15. I thank AA.