To B fare or to not B fare?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreekDeno, Jan 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to CDG in March. Cheapest available is ~$1400 in multiple low classes. B is available for ~$2500. Works out to roughly 13cpm for cheap, 15cpm for B. I'd like to upgrade using miles/miles&money at least on the return. Going the former route will cost me $550 + 25k miles to upgrade each way and I'll "only" get 100% pqm. Going the latter route will cost me 20k miles and I'll get 150% pqm. No availability for upgrade on the outbound, but availability on the return. I have $400 in ecerts too, but don't have to use them now as I'll be taking more longer trips throughout the year. If I use my ecerts the B is 12.5cpm.

Based on that, any reason I should not get the B fare other than the $900 difference? And assuming you think I should B fare, is it merely a personal choice to use the ecerts now vs later on a flight that is higher cpm?

Thanks and I know I should know this answer from my research, travel, reading, but I simply don't.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand the ecert question. Don't you save $400 whether you use them on this flight or on one in six months? Why does the cpm matter? I'd use them as soon as possible.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thought was trying to "ease" a future purchase and use the ecerts then. It doesn't really matter in the course of the yearly UA spend.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might also want to check to see if there's a discount business first fare that is barely higher than the B but won't cost you your miles for the upgrade.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a straight math perspective it looks like the ability to confirm the return at booking means that the return half of the $1100 price increase is essentially free, and you get the 50% PQMs bonus, too. In that regard it is hard to justify NOT buying up to the B fare on the return. For the outbound it is more of a gamble, but at least your gamble is slightly offset by the fare earning a few extra PQMs.

Also, you could likely have a phone agent construct the fare as a W one way and B the other, lowering the risk there.

Ignore the ecerts in the value query; you're just playing mind games with yourself and not considering the real value there. The cert value is identical regardless of which itinerary you redeem it on.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    $5k. Forgot to mention that in the original post.

Kalboz likes this.