Tmobile Simple Choice (w/ free text & data in 120 countries)

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by davythefatboy, Sep 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So far reports are pretty good on the T-Mobile data in Europe. But of course this requires you to switch your US phone to T-Mobile, and T-Mobile is a second string carrier in the US. Are people happy with T-Mobile cell phone service and data in the USA, or are there are lots of weak spots?

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you search Milepoint (and TOBB) strings, you'll likely find some lively discussion about the merits of various mobile/cell phone companies and plans. FWIW, in the North/Eastern US, Verizon is a premier network, with 4G coverage almost everywhere now. T-Mobile not so much. We had T-Mobile cell phones at my last job, and the only way that everyone could get their cell phones to work was by using WiFi!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're concerned they will send you an iPhone to use for 1 week for free.

I did the test and found that in most of the places I go regularly they were about the same as my Verizon service, except for relatives in Philadelphia where I got no T-Mobile service at all (although they use T-Mobile as their carrier) and my own house where T-Mobile was far better than Verizon.

I plan to switch this month, I'm just waiting for the new Motorola phones to become available. If you sign up this month you get 2.5 gigs of LTE data per month per line for the price of 1 gb for the next 1.25 years.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    jbcarioca likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had T-Mobile service going for what 12?? years and have been pretty much satisfied with it. Service in SE and West is fine. It believe they have bought/merged with MetroPCS so service in the NE should improve.

T-Mobile has always been in forefront in terms of major US carriers with regard to International service going way back to when they were tied in to Deutsche Telecom (British Telecom) and swappable sim cards became popular. It was a number of years before Verizon or any other carrier even offered (GSM) phones with removable sims.
    (In addition they offered a very discounted Wi-Fi plan in AA clubs before it became free and airports even thought about installing paid Wi-Fi much less the now common free service)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have had T-Mobile for more than a decade. originally I went to T-Mobile because prepaid money could last a year, so it worked well for me, because I only spend a few weeks per year in the US. More recently I switched to Simple Choice. It works nicely in Russia, Brazil, France, Italy, Greece and the Netherlands, the only countries I have used it in so far other than the US. In the US I find them to be roughly comparable with Verizon and AT&T, the only ones that colleagues have for which we can do actual comparisons. IN St. Louis T-Mobile was = to Verizon. In Miami T-Mobile seems mostly better than either, but I do not trust my comparisons there. For NYC, Washington, DC and New jersey T-Mobile has been OK, but I suspect Verizon has been better. In Boston Verizonnand T-Mobile seem equal. Those have been comparing colleagues using the same phones as I doing the same things with me on T-Mobile they on Verizon or AT&T. Several colleagues are switching to T-Mobile because of Simple Choice international. FWIW, for Jordan, Lebanon and Syria T-Mobile does not have the Simple Choice option working. Bummer for me! However, those are just about the only places I've found so far where it does not work.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    newbluesea and TAHKUCT like this.
  6. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used my phone in both Switzerland and Italy and it worked great for data and was cost free. T-mobile has made extensive upgrades to its US network in the last year and just this week turned on VoLTE on phones that have the capability (which by the way includes the new iPhones). As a result of the upgrades T-Mobile now has the fastest or pretty close to the fastest network in a number of big cities.

One other note: The free data that T-mobile provides abroad isn't the fastest speed. You have to pay extra for that. But it allows you to use a phone overseas for e-mail and the Web without paying. That's a pretty good deal

jbcarioca and newbluesea like this.