TK *G benefits with UA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bjdriscoll, Feb 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    My brother did not requalify for his UA status but took advantage of the Turkish status match a few months ago so that he still has *G for the next two years. He flies UA most of the time and I don't think he's ever flown TK. Does he have to credit his UA flights to TK in order to get the *G benefits (priority checkin, priority boarding) while flying UA? Or, is there some work around where he can credit the miles to UA but still have *G on his boarding pass to access the benefits?

I told him he might be better off crediting his miles to TK anyway because of their reduced mileage requirements but he has the vast majority of his miles with UA and would like to keep accruing them there to use for upgrades and award travel.

As always, I appreciate the thoughts and advice of the forum.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bags and boarding generally require having the *G FF# in the reservation. Lounge access can generally be realized just by showing the card at the door.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So new United doesn't support having two frequent flyer accounts referenced in one PNR, one for crediting (FQTV) and one for status (FQTS)?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK they do not.

Doesn't mean that you cannot use the one number at check-in/counter and then change later to the other you want to credit to, but you run some risks with that approach, including losing PremierAccess designation.

gleff likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, and personally I have never needed to use the FQTS/V thing, so it was more of an academic question for me. I did use my BD *G card for a year to get lounge access (by just showing the card), but I had 1K status and wanted to credit to UA, so that was all easy to do.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. So, if he wants to keep the miles in his UA account, he can't use the TK ff number or the benefits it provides as *G? He likes the club access but would prefer to keep the miles in his UA account rather than TK. I told him I'd check with the much wiser people on the forum.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If it is just about lounge access then simply put the UA FF# on the reservation and show the TK card at the lounge entrance. The other benefits are more complicated to deal with in many cases, but that one is easy.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  8. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the thing, for him, it's more about the other benefits, ie, less time waiting in line, than access to the clubs. If the only way to do that is to use his TK number, then so be it, he'll just have to start banking miles there and forego any UA status and upgrades.

9. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you need the TK card showing *G status to get into a lounge, or is it sufficient to show your BP with the TK FF# (and presumably status) printed? I have done the same status match, but I have yet to receive the card.

10. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the TK card for access all the time. I've read reports of people not receiving their TK card until they credit a flight to TK but I got my card less than a week after I matched and have never credited a flight to TK so I've never had an issue showing my BP with my UA ff number and using the TK card. It has confused a couple of agents but I always get the green light.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The official rule is that you have to prove your status. For some lounges the scanned BP is sufficient. Not always. I've had the same lounge accept me when on one carrier's metal and not when on another carrier, both times using a BP printed from the operating carrier showing the same FF#. Having the card is good backup, just in case.

I don't think he'll have too much trouble getting to the elite check-in line, though agents may try to insist that he put the elite FF# in the record at that point. The BP won't show PremierAccess unless that FF# is on the record so that will likely inhibit access to elite security lines and boarding.

akcae likes this.
  12. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    He's based out of PHX and, every time I've left a visit out there the elite security line is so much shorter than the regular line, though the checkin line isn't normally too bad. The club is nothing to write home about (and probably why he doesn't care much about that) but the boarding process is always a mess. So, I understand why he wants to utilize those benefits.

I've been reading your blog for years and know that you know much more than I so do you have a recommendation as to what he should do? Should he forego the *G benefits and bank with UA or utilize the *G benefits and bank with TK? His problem with the latter is using the TK miles on UA flights but if that's not that big of a deal then maybe that's his best course of action.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd personally skip the *G benefits on a program where I don't plan to actually use them. I don't see much value in crediting some number of flights elsewhere for those benefit, bifurcating my points accrual. That said, if he really wants the short security line at PHX my guess is he'll need the PremierAccess designation on the BP. That means checking in and getting the BP with the TK FF# on it and then changing it at the gate. That means he likely won't get priority boarding of the plane but he'll get the other benefits.

Too much work for too little benefit to me personally, but that's how I'd say he has the best chance of getting both. Just make sure that the BP reprints with the UA FF# on it.

14. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate your insight and will pass it along to my brother. Of course, he could solve his problems by getting his butt up in the air more frequently but that's not an option for him right now.

Thanks a bunch!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  15. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    I'd like to congratulate Seth on using "bifurcating" for the SIXTH time ever on Milepoint! Yeah!!!!!!

Yeah for bifurcating!

But seriously, I agree with this notion of avoiding splitting points.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And 4 of them were probably me. :oops:

That, along with fungible, are two of my favorite words to use when talking about points.

desamo and IDGflygirl like this.
  17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an English major, I approve of these words.