Tis the season, shoot for 1k or be content with plat?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreekDeno, Oct 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Similar to the other member here http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/need-advice-on-10k-mileage-run.48548/ I am based in DEN and am wondering about status for '13. I'm at 80,060 and 67 segments ytd. I have 5 trips planned through year end, but they will total only 6868 eqm. 4 are work so I'm not directly paying and one is personal. The personal will be to SFO or FAT or OAK or SMF. As I see it I can do one of the following:
    1. Pay for the 4, use miles on personal and be happy with plat.
    2. Pay for all of them, accrue more miles to use down the road (I don't need more miles).
    3. Pay the 10cpm for the triple mileage (forgot what the technical term is) each flight and barely achieve 1k (100,664).
    4. Pay for all of my trips and do a mileage run which still leaves me short ~13k short.
    5. Integrate a mr in my personal travel to SFO. It's over Thanksgiving so maybe I can mr to SFO like DEN-FRA-SFO and direct back to DEN. If I do this it will be 28cpm and will still only get me 11k additional miles which leaves me at 96k at year end.

Also noteworthy is that I have $400 credit from a vdb that expires in Dec. I can also use that to pay for a European trip in early '13. What would you all recommend? 1-5 or other? And as always, thank you in advance.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plat's not bad. If you have high fares, your domestic upgrade odds are better. If you don't do too much international travel in W+, then you really don't need the GPUs.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that I'd pay the incremental $1300 out of pocket for 1K status in your situation, unless you're going to get good value from the GPUs.

4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it were me and I was already naturally landing between the two I would push for 1K. I am stopping at Plat, but only because I am literally ending right on 75K. If I were in the mid/upper 80's, I would push for 100K.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've opted to stop at Plat for next year. While GPUs are nice to have, I've not used many given the high W fares required...not to mention AA has lured me away and quite frankly spoiled me rotten with more an cheaper eVIP upgrade fares. I'll be at about 79K by early December and have no desire to do a MR to cross 100K. I can live with a pair of RPUs. And given the changes just implemented at AC, I've given up on them and AE completely and will put all my STAR miles into MP next year when I still fly that Alliance's members.

Plat seems to have enough benefits to meet my needs next year, most particularly the ability to book and change awards without paying fees.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a matter of cost/time required. I am putting a 10K MR in this year for <$500 to get to the next GPU/RPU threshold. But the OP said the price point for them is double that or more. I'd have a hard time stomaching it at that price point.

Scottrick likes this.
  7. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of years ago, I found myself in the same boat... I let 1K lapse, but took advantage of the offer from United to fly 30K within 90 days and be upgraded back to 1K for $999. I have searched around, but don't think they offered it last year, I think it was a pre-merger thing... But I would again do it this coming year if it was offered...

8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely a matter of cost/time, but I'd be doing some real searching for an effective way to do it!

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been Platinum for a while and just made early this month. Still flying a lot, I do notice a slight difference in the status perks, but not enough to pay as much as you'll need to pay for if I didn't have to do the travel. My GPUs will be used as RPUs, as I just don't fly TATL or TPAC, but between northern South America and the USA. In other words, YMMV. If in the 5,000 to 10,000 mile range, I'd seriously consider a MR, but 17,000? Not me. Platinum is quite nice.

10. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will end up with 80k for this year, and I'm ok with plat. Fares out of IAH - and time constraints - make it not possible to do another 20k before yearend with what's already on the schedule.

11. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look at fares out of SAT. I live on the west side of Houston and found fares can be hundreds of dollars cheaper from San Antonio. (And sometimes the routing even sends you to IAH so you get a bonus 200 miles or so each way) (cheaper fares are usually going west though)

12. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've decided to be happy with my platinum status. I don't think the cost/time is worth it to me. I could probably do it, but I'd prefer to use those weekends skiing and the money saved from a 28cpm "mr" on a better and realistic mr in early '13. Thanks again for your insights. Moral of the story is summed up well on one of scottrick's latest blog posts: start early in the year so you don't have to hustle and make expensive mr's later in the year.

aptraveler and desamo like this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree with your decision, there is something terribly wrong if you can't find MRs for much, much less than $0.28/mile. Are you counting the cost of flying PLUS a mileage accelerator?

Just to check my point, I tried booking DEN-EWR. $0.066/mile. 3238 miles/MR. 6 weekends in the Big Apple? I may have to reconsider my position! ;)

14. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many times I fly out of AUS at considerably less than IAH. Used BPT as a starting point for one flight too for considerably less, but now that they've gone to bus that's off the table for me.

15. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was pricing DEN-FRA-SFO on LH then SFO-DEN on UA with a couple different day variations, but still getting me into bay area for Thanksgiving.

Am I using ITA incorrectly? I just tried a couple different stay durations and the cheapest DEN-EWR was 7.8 cpm. I put DEN, /alliance star-alliance, EWR, checked see calendar of lowest fares (tried Nov and Dec), length of stay 1 night and stay 2 nights, economy, no limit.

16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I apologize. EWR is a little higher priced. It was DEN-LGA that had the $0.066/mile pricing. I always use the "search nearby airports" option, and that's how I ended up with LGA after searching for EWR.

17. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I would go for this is it were offered. I've already got 26K in flights booked for January on STAR partners and UA so could find an additional MR to cross 30K, though do these all have to be UA metal flights (though my STAR flights were booked with UA codeshare flight numbers). $1K for 6 GPUs and more RPUs is a bargain.

18. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes it was UA only

19. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    it is on the agenda to ask UA at SMD4 if this is going to be offered again this year...

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, had UA's current 50% PQM bonus been valid on previously ticketed flights flown since the offer was made last night I would likely make 1K again.

21. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm roughly in your shoes, and I decided to pass on 1K for next year, as evidenced by recently buying revenue travel on a different domestic carrier. I'll be at ~78k EQM at the end of the year. I'm a long-time 1K, but SWU/GPU clearance was so very bad this year, and the premium for W fares so high, that I think it's better to walk away with PP. Double EQMs (to match AA) would probably change that.

I'm not sure how the math works here, but if the total cost is only $1300 and no extra time, as someone else suggested, I might be tempted.

Running down the differences of 1K v. PP, as HaveMilesWillTravel did in the previous thread for PP v. Gold:
    • 6 GPUs (valid on W or higher)
    • 25% RDM bonus
    • $60 Visa fee waiver/credit
    • instant upgrades on M fares
    • better u-g priority