Tips/Tricks for Award Booking with Alaskan?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by corz123, Mar 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    About to book a flight w/ Alaskan. Does anyone have any tips or anything to look out for? How much are the closed in booking fees or change fees? I googled some sites but I'm not sure if they are up to do. Thanks!

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we assume that you will be using AS miles for a flight operated by AS? If not, then the rules of the AA, DL, etc. program would apply. The rules are set by the miles you are using, not who operates the flight or the flight number (whether codeshare or not).

eponymous_coward likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:

That's what I'm saying. The rules for award tickets, including whether fuel surcharge etc. fees apply, are determined by the program that is the source of the miles, not the carrier that operates (or markets if codeshares are allowed for award tickets) the flights.

If you're using AA miles for an award ticket for travvel on AS, then AA rules apply. Similarly if you're using DL miles for award travel on AS.

6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right. we are in violent agreement. OP is using AS miles to book CX, as indicated in the link. However, OP is not booking an AS flight... so thought it needed to be clear that AS rules apply.