Tips on Redeeming CO miles for award ticket to FRA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mrx900, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looked at forum for thread possibly aiding me in this, but came negative, hence this new thread.

Goal: trying to redeem CO miles for a business class ticket PDX- FRA. She currently has 50K CO miles with the help of her OnePass Chase Card. I realize this is probably not enuff for a RT ticket...but is there a way to pay with miles & cash or maybe some sort of upgrade ticket using those miles? The CO site was a bit confusing to me when I put in my dates for Sept, October....but I dont think its accurate because I think it doesnt show all Star Alliance availability??

Notes: she has has 25K AmEx points coming her way, which I know I can xfer to OnePass

2. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    most TATL tkts will require a copay Y & B are $0 but very expensive tkts, the rest depends on the fare basis and will be from $250-500 each way

a Y fare also requires 10k in miles each way All other fares is 20k each way

I know if its waitlisted and doesnt clear the Miles are Refunded I forget if the $$ are also (something tells me its not), if only the domestic segment clears you still get the Miles back and get to enjoy the domestic FC for free thats if it clears which is a big IF

I believe its 105k r/t for Biz

mrx900 likes this.
  3. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just remembered something after reading your 105K mile requirement part ; she has been promised 75K miles from applying for the AmEx Premier Rewards Gold Card!!..so if I can bank those miles before Sept, she should have enough to go in C to FRA!......

4. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you check the box on the advanced reservation page for upgrade with miles, you can then select the segment you'd like to upgrade (or at least search for upgrades). When the flights come back they will show you which are available and which are not. Be very careful to read which flights are included in the R fare and which are not. Quite often you will see the domestic segment as being available and the TATL not. That is a very expensive use of points and dollars if you fail to see the notice and there is no R TATL.

mrx900 likes this.
  5. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Geo: there is no R class coming up when I enter "R" in class of service.....only classes available that are showing is F C J D (first/biz) and then the economy classes of Y B M E U H Q V W and the discount econ of S T L K G.

6. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know... you can't select R as a search parameter. Leave that blank and check the box that says use miles to upgrade
    [​IMG]
    You may also want to change the "Number of Flights to Display" from "Default" to "50". I like to max them out to see all, or most all, the options

cheepneezy and mrx900 like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They refund both the cash and the miles if it doesn't clear.

I think that the cash ticket + upgrade approach is probably the worst value these days. The relatively high cost of the tickets, plus the co-pay, plus the miles generally makes for a much worse redemption value than just getting an award ticket outright. Also with an award seat one has many more options for carriers and routings which means finding the seat you want is easier IME. If you have enough for one-way and you know the other points are coming I'd be looking for a one-way award redeemed via UA right now and get the return booked later when the rest of the miles show up.

8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kilroy was here.

9. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once she has the miles available, a reward ticket is the way to go. CO.com is pretty good for reward searches, but doesn't include all *A partners yet. You may need to use aeroplan.com or ana.jp (look for the instructions here on how to do so without miles in your account) to find additional flights. CO.com does show LH availability, which is going to be your best bet. So you might start there and then go somewhere else if it isn't producing any answers.

Another hint is not to look for rewards out of PDX. That makes PDX-gateway reward availability a potential limiter that would cause options not to show up. Start by finding the trans-Atlantic portion and then work backwards to figure out how to get to the gateway from PDX--it often turns out that you can come up with a routing from PDX to the gateway and then a trans-Atlantic flight that the search engine would never have returned jointly. You would obviously need to call to actually buy such a ticket.

Common *A gateways to search will include SFO, LAX, ORD, YYZ, EWR, IAD, IAH, JFK, and PHL. Make sure you are looking at CO.com as well as the other sites because CO will show you VS availability into LHR and then connections onward which adds some options. Also check BOS which I've found has good VS availability.

If you can't find something that works from any of those, consider other cities in the US/Canada that LH serves from FRA. LH C isn't the best, but it beats coach. Other options would include SEA, YVR, YYC, DEN, DFW, DTW, ATL, MCO, CLT, YOW, and YUL.

mrx900 likes this.
  10. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MisPlacedTexan.....I got the KVS tool now so I'll just dabble with that and see what comes up.....old n crabby mom doesnt wanna hop scotch all over to get to FRA....just wants to get to FRA. I saw a segment that was PDX-YVR (AIr Canada JAZZ) and then YVR - YYZ- FRA (AC/LH).....that might be a good one..