Tips on getting the best rental car rate

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jmhuth, Dec 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I wasn't sure where the best place to post this is... Any tips on getting the cheapest rental car? In the past I've booked cars from off airport locations to get a deal.. This time, I've booked through autoslash, but the rate is high 400.....It's for a minivan (vehicle needs to accomodate 2 adults & 3 kids) & the dates are as follows:
    Pick-up: Wed, Mar 27, 2013 10:00am
    Drop-off: Wed, Apr 3, 2013 01:00pm

Maybe it's so high because I booked so early & it will go down?? I'm not sure. I know in the past I've been able to get a minivan for under $200.. Maybe because it's over easter too?? If you are experienced in getting deals on rental cars please HELP! Thanks!

Sweet Willie and marcwint55 like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the pickup location?

jmhuth and edekba like this.
  3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that's part of the problem, but location might be part of the issue as well. I booked a car via National about 4 months ago for next week in SDF, and my initial coupon price for a full-size for 5 days was something like $245. Then National had a special a few weeks ago, and I rebooked it using the same coupon, and the price for the same class and dates was $153.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    1. Check out pricing at Hotwire (prepaid, they pick which airport location you rent from)
    2. Book a cancellable rate now and have AutoSlash.com track pricing for you, there's plenty of opportunity fro it to drop between now and pickup

jmhuth and edekba like this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    IDGflygirl, jmhuth and edekba like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    That. Also check the site for coupons closer to the date. Also check AA/UA/etc on specials they might be running. Compare costs and book the lowest, but always book a refundable rate.

For example I booked a AA rate for a 3day in ORD a few weeks back. Then comes the Monday before my trip on thursday I noticed National had a coupon which lowered my total cost by ~$100.

jmhuth likes this.
  7. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miami, FL is the pickup location

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    With a cancelable rate being anything other than a pre-paid rate? I don't recall if I specifically looked at autoslash, but the ones I did look at didn't have National as an option. It'd be awesome if there was something for rental cars like Yapta or Kayak's flight rate finder alerts where you can put a threshold dollar amount in and your exact criteria, and you get alerts when the price drops below your threshold number PRIOR to booking the rental. I know that most rates are cancelable, but I've noticed after canceling and rebooking this same reservation 6 times now that it gets a little annoying after a while. I got what I wanted in the end though.

miles and smiles and jmhuth like this.
  9. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's so high because you're traveling during Spring Break in Miami

10. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so though.. We've traveled to the same location 3 different times during spring break & been able to get a rate for under $200....

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do any of you ever rent cars from an off airport location?? Do you seem to get better deals that way?? I've done this a couple of times through enterprise & have found the rates to be much lower because you don't have to pay the taxes.. Although, I haven't been able to find a lower rate this time that way... I've just had to pay an extra fee to drop off the car at the airport, but it's still been worth it.. Just curious on others experience.

12. rsflyer

rsflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    try Sixt car rental

jmhuth likes this.
  13. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many car companies have a very liberal policy on "government rates". My mother who works for the school district has qualified for gov. rates.

jmhuth likes this.
  14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    check kayak.com. I always check them first before going to other sites.

jmhuth likes this.
  15. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I checked Kayak & found an off airport car through enterprise for 275!! So I booked that & also have my autoslash reservation too just in case prices go down. Thanks for the tip!

marcwint55 and miles and smiles like this.
  16. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use Priceline and Name Your Own Price 1 to 2 weeks before your arrival. You should be able to cut that rate in half maybe more it will depend on the demand for minivans that week. I've started a Priceline tutorial on my blog and I will have the car rental part up next week. I'll post back here when it is up. Priceline is a great way to go for rental cars.

17. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    glad it helped

jmhuth and miles and smiles like this.
  18. PointsNmilesAddict

PointsNmilesAddict Active Member

Status Points:
    If you have an AMEX card try looking trough their travel search engine i found the best deal for a minivan in the last week of march in orlando surprisingly trough them.

jmhuth and miles and smiles like this.
  19. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    They may be in high demand.... Spring break & Easter... I am going to be hopeful though! That was the only enterprise location w/ a rate that low.. All other's were in the $500-$600 range & they are w/in miles of each other. I just read your guide & it is very helpful. I will try as it gets closer! Thanks!

21. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    jmhuth likes this.
  22. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I was going to Hawaii & needed a rental car there! It's on my bucket list! Waiting till the kids are a little bit older & can handle jet lag!

23. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is something about waking up in Hawaii the next morning that seems to ease my jet lag greatly!

rodeojones and jmhuth like this.
  24. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    just got back from a new years trip to the big island, the 6 day car rental for an econ from dec29- jan4 was 1350. from jan1-jan 4 was 330, we went with out a car for the first few days.

25. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you wait another year, you will just be even older before you go.(paraphrased from warren miller) kids are able to cope with the time change, my 5 year old has made the trip 4 times, its only the first morning he is up real early and rearing to go, after a full day of snorkling, swimming, and playing he knocks off and sleeps in on day two.