Tips on getting seats together?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by tzoom84, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently booked economy seats from JFK-HKG in October using British Airways award miles. During the booking, we were told that the BA phone agent is not able to select our seats on the flight. She stated it is because it's Cathay's policy to not allow seat selection in Economy until 48 hours prior to departure during online check-in.

Is this true? If so, this is the first I experienced this with an airline (this is my first Cathay flight). It concerns us that there is a chance we won't be able to sit next to each other on a 15 hour flight.

Do you have any recommendations on how to best ensure that we can get seats together?

We will of course try to check-in as soon as we can 48 hours prior. If that doesn't work we would do our best with asking the flight agents at luggage and boarding for any openings.

Any other tips?

Thank you.

2. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    do it at the gate

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can wear a sweatshirt to the gym from now until then and never wash it. Wear it on the day of your flight so that whomever sits next to you on the flight will gladly trade seats with your wife. It's kind of like the strategy applied to flying Southwest.

Or you could both get some really good books and tunes to get you through those 15 hrs apart.

Or you can always contact Cathay exactly 48 hrs prior to the flight to pick the seats.

4. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha thanks for the clever tips. So I take it the policy is pretty firm. We'll make do then.