Tips on Booking JFK-ATH using AAdvantage

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tzoom84, Mar 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to go to Athens from JFK in mid-June of this year. By default, the AAdvantage website auto-routes me through London-Heathrow to get there, which has KILLER taxes (~$700 r/t).

Looking through oneworld partners, I do see there is a shared AA-Iberia flight that goes JFK-MAD-ATH. But when I manually try and force the AAdvantage website to go that route via multi-city, it fails. It finds JFK-MAD no problem. But MAD-ATH everything is grayed out.

What do you all recommend for finding award availability for JFK-MAD-ATH?

Thanks!

2. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to add a bit more. It turns out that there are VERY select flights between MAD-ATH that don't go through LHR. So looks like I may be out of luck with Madrid.

But I noticed both JFK and ATH have direct flights to Barcelona. So I was wondering if I can do JFK-BCN-ATH. But yet again, AAdvantage website blocks out the BCN-ATH segment for availability.

I imagine this is a pretty common problem for any Euro travel that bypasses LHR?

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can get your hands on some Avios, you can use Reward Flight Saver to hop around Europe from MAD for a flat fee of 30 pounds + necessary Avios.

4. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks eponymous_coward. Unfortunately I don't have any avios. I dumped all my British Airways awards on a Cathay flight to Thailand 2 years ago. :)

I did find out that both MAD-ATH and BCN-ATH are serviced by Iberia. And then by seeing this article in Million Mile Secrets, I was able to look for economy (award-accessible AA seating) for Iberia flights on the Quantas website:
    http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/03/28/iberia-awards/

So I'll continue sleuthing around until something works. But always interested in more tips! :)

5. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're stuck with BA or trying to call AAdvantage and determining why BCN/MAD-ATH is unavailable. The other OW partners in Europe don't fly to ATH. AirBerlin flies to Thessaloniki. S7 flies to Athens but you need to get to Moscow or St. Petersburg, which is starting to sound like a OW Explorer ticket or some really off-the-wall routing.

6. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mike Reed likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do mean by a "shared Iberia" flight? A check on ITA does not show Iberia flying MAD/ATH and the BCN/ATH flight is a codeshare with Vueling which is not a OW partner.

Mike Reed and eponymous_coward like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  9. WalterHOU

WalterHOU New Member

Status Points:
    From jfk to,ath try finnair or air Berlin !

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Neither airline flies to ATH.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FYI S7 is launching service DME-ATH in April, but this is unlikely to help.

12. grpsy

grpsy Active Member

Status Points:
    Iberia's Athens service has indeed been cancelled, but there are a few dates that IB will operate "one-off" MAD-ATH flights throughout the upcoming months. For June, there are IB flights on the 16th and the 22nd. So, it may not hurt if you check whether you can redeem your miles for those dates.